De Havilland Nattfjäril

Started by zenrat, January 19, 2017, 02:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Kept stashed away at the back of storage facilities scattered up and down the Swedish countryside the De Havilland Nattfjäril is intended to give the Flygvapnet a last ditch air defence capability should the use of EMP warheads disable modern weapons systems.
nattfjäril 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Nattfjäril is flown from what was the Tiger Moth's rear seat and is armed with a pair of belt fed Ksp 58Strv 7.62mm general purpose machine guns synchronised to fire through the propeller.
nattfjäril 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Ammunition and additional fuel is carried in what was the front cockpit.  Up to four 50kg bombs bombs can be carried on wing mounted racks although this is rarely done as performance is seriously degraded.
nattfjäril 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model:
Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth (new tool).
Modified Lewis Guns from the Airfix 1/72 Air Sea Rescue Launch.
Paint scheme is based on Swedish Fields & Meadows splinter pattern using PRU Blue, Golden Olive, Middle Stone and a Black/DSG mix over RLM84 (all Vallejo acrylics).
Decals from Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire PR XIX

nattfjäril 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 19, 2017, 02:06:28 AM

...... as performance is seriously degraded.

I'm surprised it's got any left, performance that is, after hauling those two heavy guns and ammunition belts around.  :o

LOVE the idea, the model, the workmanship and the backstory, but how do you pronounce its name???
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Wonderful  :bow: I wondered if that scheme would work but it sure does  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Beautiful :wub: Once again, stunning scheme and superb finish...er...swedish ;D One day I'll take the plunge on one of those schemes but happier bathing in the sanity-sun for now.

NARSES2

Looking at tha base, have the Swede's invested in a helicopter carrier ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

GlLLLLLLLLorious!!   :bow: :drink: :cheers: :party:  I've been waiting patiently to see this one and it paid off!!  Flippin' brilliant! Just gorgeous. I dig the back story, too. I've often entertained thoughts, myself, of modern day happenings where militaries would have to fall back on things in museums and private collections in the aftermath of such sitations. The thought of actively preparing for it never occured to me. That's just too cool. The whole idea of it.  It's a lot like what was going on in NuBattlestar Gallactica.
-Sprues McDuck-

Librarian

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 19, 2017, 07:44:09 AM
GlLLLLLLLLorious!!   :bow: :drink: :cheers: :party:  I've been waiting patiently to see this one and it paid off!!  Flippin' brilliant! Just gorgeous. I dig the back story, too. I've often entertained thoughts, myself, of modern day happenings where militaries would have to fall back on things in museums and private collections in the aftermath of such sitations. The thought of actively preparing for it never occured to me. That's just too cool. The whole idea of it.  It's a lot like what was going on in NuBattlestar Gallactica.

With the next world conflict an advert-break away, and once all sides have knocked down their idiotic trophy aircraft, I'm looking forward to a re-emergence of Corsairs, Skyraiders etc ;D

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

JayBee

A wonderful job, but surely it should have had an extended upper wing to give a greater altitude capability.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

KiwiZac

Fantastic! Absolutely fantastic! The camo is sublime!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Thank you everyone.

Kit - I think its Nat as in Nat West followed by the fj sound as in fjord and then arl as in, umm Marley.  It means night moth.

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 19, 2017, 07:17:35 AM
Looking at tha base, have the Swede's invested in a helicopter carrier ?
No, but Fred has invested in a cut price runway sheet or two to use in photos.  Lets say its a section of particularly well drained Swedish Freeway.

The camo was done by brush with no masking.  I drew it on with pencil labelling each section as I went.  So really it was a paint by numbers scheme... :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tahsin

Superb, and with Donald Trump's bellyaching against expensive programmes and the recent naming of a moth species after him, stands an awesome chance of being realized.

DogfighterZen

Came out great as expected, that camo suits it really well. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 19, 2017, 11:45:40 PM
Thank you everyone.

Kit - I think its Nat as in Nat West followed by the fj sound as in fjord and then arl as in, umm Marley.  It means night moth.

You can almost pronounce that Nat Ferrari ? Not quick enough though  ;D