The P-53 Sparrow Hawk & A63 Taipan

Started by Gondor, January 25, 2017, 09:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Got a bit more done with the P-53 and Started on my A63 Taipan which will be in Australian service. Here are some progress pictures.

The underside had some paint applied to the joints so I can see what additional filler is required

As did the upper surfaces

And here is a side view to show the modified tail, so far

And finally, for now, a picture to show that I have started on the second of my AZ MB.5 kits. This one will be in Australian service, just to confuse people into thinking that it's the CA-15 Kangeroo

There should be more updates over the weekend

Gondor

EDIT: Put the wrong picture up  :banghead:  :banghead:  Sorted it now so you can see the sprues of the second kit.
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

A bit more work to show.

This is what you get if you follow the instructions for the walls of the main wheel well bays

And this is what it should look like

The parts are different from one wing to the other. It's possible that I have got the parts transposed but it's not going to be a problem.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Another small update.

Most of the parts are fitted into the Starboard half of the fuselage so it's nearly ready to be closed up. The wings should have the upper and lower parts glued together as well.

The black foam inside the fuselage is an Idea I have taken from @Dizzyfugu  :thumbsup:

I have marked out where I believe the wire supports for the wings will go through the fuselage before fitting into the wings without getting in the way of the undercarriage bays.

Gondor

Gondor

Only done a little to the P-53. I did think about putting a late Spitfire Five-Bladed propellor onto it, tried one and thought better of it as the size of the propellor disk is too small for the front of the model, I would have to add to one or the other or even both to make a matching contour. Maybe for another one and another time.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

Try a Sea Fury prop and spinner.  Bigger boss so theoretically a better fit, but at the risk of losing one of the MB5s selling points. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 01, 2024, 08:05:43 AMTry a Sea Fury prop and spinner.  Bigger boss so theoretically a better fit, but at the risk of losing one of the MB5s selling points. 

At least it wasn't all torque and no trousers  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor

The A63 now has its fuselage together. I hope that I have managed to make a decent job of it. It will be left until tomorrow to make sure that the glue has dried. It took a while for me to get the glue to come out of the container. I had to heat the tube of a new bottle of Contacta to get it clear. I am so glad that I have a gas cooker, makes that job so much easier.

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 01, 2024, 11:46:40 AMIt took a while for me to get the glue to come out of the container. I had to heat the tube of a new bottle of Contacta to get it clear. I am so glad that I have a gas cooker, makes that job so much easier.

Gondor

I find the needle applicator has to be cleared prior to use every single session, easy enough to do as long as you have a gas cooker, but a pain nevertheless. I got the Deluxe Materials version at Telford last year and have found the needle doesn't clog, touching all the wood going, so will be getting some more in a few weeks time.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I always have a card of fuse wire handy for such jobs, Usually the middle size does it OK, but sometimes it needs the very small one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 02, 2024, 06:03:33 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 01, 2024, 11:46:40 AMIt took a while for me to get the glue to come out of the container. I had to heat the tube of a new bottle of Contacta to get it clear. I am so glad that I have a gas cooker, makes that job so much easier.

Gondor

I find the needle applicator has to be cleared prior to use every single session, easy enough to do as long as you have a gas cooker, but a pain nevertheless. I got the Deluxe Materials version at Telford last year and have found the needle doesn't clog, touching all the wood going, so will be getting some more in a few weeks time.

The bottle I had been using was just about empty anyway. You will have to show me Deluxe Materials version in a few weeks time.

Gondor

Gondor

A small update on the A63, the clamps have been removed and the joint found to be solid, except behind the cockpit where there is a slight tapered gap. Nothing that a little filler can't fix. So tidying up of the seam tomorrow, followed by drilling the holes in the wings and fuselage for the wire to help hold the wings in place.

Gondor

Wardukw

I solved the Contacta Pro yrs ago...   .5 piano wire..I always leave it in the tube ..use it..put it back ..easy.
I hated it when I had to heat the tube with a lighter just to use it again ...the wire fixed it prematurely  ;D

I watching this build matey 😀
This bird looks cool 😎
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 02, 2024, 07:14:02 AMThe bottle I had been using was just about empty anyway. You will have to show me Deluxe Materials version in a few weeks time.

Gondor

Will do, they've been there the last few years. All the stuff I've had from them has been very good apart from their two part putty (Milliput style) where they tried to be a little to clever I think. I know in a few cases they've almost certainly repackage existing stuff, but they've done it very well and often creatively. They think about how and what you are going to use things for in my opinion.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.