Forward Air control aircraft

Started by DarrenP2, January 27, 2017, 12:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenP2

the Americans have had the O-1, 0-2, OV10, OA10 , OA37 in the forward air control role. Other nations like Australia have had winjeel and PC9. much can now be done by drones. But what other aircraft could be roles to do this.

UK BaC Strikemaster, Hawk and Tucano

scooter

Pretty much any aircraft can, given the improvements in targeting avionics.  I know the 119th FS (F-16s) will use one as a FACA (with a FACA trained pilot) in a two-ship bombing run, staying high as the wingman goes in.  In fact, that was how Egg Harbor Intermediate School was strafed back in '04.  F-16s from the 113th were doing night strafing, the wingman couldn't see the target, the wing leader forgot to check his switches when he went to lase the target area.

But your best bet for hitting the target is still a JTAC.
(This post fueled by insomnia and coffee)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

The USMC operated specially modified Skyhawks for this role/task, the OA-4M. These were basically trainers, but they carried extra radio equipment in the camelback fairing.

Mossie

I've wondered before if the MiG-8 Utka might have made a Soviet counterpart to the O-1.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Stinson L-5 used in Europe in WWII, Wirraway and Boomerang
(first fast FAC) in Pacific, along with other extemporized aircraft.

kerick

I believe T-6s were used in Korea.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

andrewj

Wasn't the Edgely EA 7 Optica designed for this role ?

Andrew

sandiego89

Quote from: andrewj on January 28, 2017, 05:40:17 AM
Wasn't the Edgely EA 7 Optica designed for this role?
Andrew

No, I believe the Optica was designed for low cost civil observation, NOT forward air control.  Think TV stations, mapping, pipeline patrol, police work, etc. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Mossie

Quote from: Flyer on January 27, 2017, 11:20:22 PM
Neat looking aircraft, but why not a more conventional Yak 12?

Exactly that, it's unconventional.  :mellow: Pure whiffiness really with the MiG-8 never entering service and being as quirky as it gets.  I've no idea if it would be suitable or not.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Evidently MiG did try to sell it to AEROFLOT, but they weren't interested.
I wonder what changes might have been incorporated if a production
version had been developed.

zenrat

In the late eighties Hampshire Constabulary flew their Optica over my house everytime the Portsmouth soccer team played a home game.
I don't associate any particular noise with it which probably means it was pretty quiet.

We used to shake our fists at it and shout FAC off... ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

The couple of times there was an Optica overhead it had to be pointed out to me, pretty quiet birds.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 28, 2017, 10:48:56 PM
Evidently MiG did try to sell it to AEROFLOT, but they weren't interested.
I wonder what changes might have been incorporated if a production
version had been developed.

From what I've read, not much.  Development flying went well, they shifted the verticals in from the wing tips early on. Handling improved and the main problem after that was with engine cooling.

Nothing I've seen gives a definitive reason for the Utka being shelved, but a lack of interest combined with MiG focusing on military projects again as the Cold War warmed up seem probable reasons.

zenrat

Quote from: Flyer on January 29, 2017, 11:34:13 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 29, 2017, 01:40:57 AM
In the late eighties Hampshire Constabulary flew their Optica over my house everytime the Portsmouth soccer team played a home game.
I don't associate any particular noise with it which probably means it was pretty quiet.

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 29, 2017, 04:41:30 AM
The couple of times there was an Optica overhead it had to be pointed out to me, pretty quiet birds.

Huh, well then. I do only have familiarization with R/C ducted fans with the exception of a ultralight that was powered by one I saw once, every one was very noisy, but it may all be down to the 2-stroke's! :wacko:

My electric fans make much more noise than a same size motor turning a open air prop though, wonder how they made it quiet?

I can't remember it making a noise but it was 20 years ago.  Something must have made us look up.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 30, 2017, 01:15:35 AM
Quote from: Flyer on January 29, 2017, 11:34:13 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 29, 2017, 01:40:57 AM

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 29, 2017, 04:41:30 AM

Huh, well then. I do only have familiarization with R/C ducted fans with the exception of a ultralight that was powered by one I saw once, every one was very noisy, but it may all be down to the 2-stroke's! :wacko:

My electric fans make much more noise than a same size motor turning a open air prop though, wonder how they made it quiet?

I can't remember it making a noise but it was 20 years ago.  Something must have made us look up.

The Optica's engine/fan made a very strange noise, nothing that you'd expect to hear up in the sky.

It was more like a turbo-charged vacuum cleaner from memory. They used to fly one out of Southampton Airport during the period when I had a customer just across the road and you could tell it was an Optica flying over VERY easily, not because it was noisy but because it sounded so weird.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit