Forward Air control aircraft

Started by DarrenP2, January 27, 2017, 12:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I've never seen one so curiosity got the better of me.  Odd, like a RC aircraft but the noise isn't to scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A29M-zANIs
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

One of the first models I bought when I got back into modelling was one of these:

The intention was/is to do it as a Vietnam-era FAC, converted to turbine power and with extra radios in the back. What stalled me at the time was that the kit interior is pretty basic, and I couldn't find any good visual references for what the radio kit and seats in a real O-2ish machine would look like, and being a 1/32nd fishbowl, the interior kinda matters.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Another rolling never-gets-started plan is for a Britain-in-Vietnam FAC. There are three basic ideas:

1. An Optica-style twin-boom pusher, but without the duct, made from a 1/72nd Gazelle fuselage and 1/160th Noratlas wings and booms. The engine would be in the rear of the pod, but the prop line would be elevated, using the old oil-cooler as a shaft mounting, and the prop would be an oversized slow-turning one like a Lockheed Q-Star.

2. A Strikemaster with a helo-style forward fuselage. The Gazelle is too narrow: a Alouette III or Dauphin may better.

3. A Miles M.100 Student-style aircraft with a more helo-like nose, made from a Dauphin fuselage. Wings and tail yet to be determined.

4. A straight-forward M.100 with no major mods, just smoke rockets. I have the Whirlybirds resin kit.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Mossie on January 29, 2017, 11:59:25 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 28, 2017, 10:48:56 PM
Evidently MiG did try to sell it to AEROFLOT, but they weren't interested.
I wonder what changes might have been incorporated if a production
version had been developed.

From what I've read, not much.  Development flying went well, they shifted the verticals in from the wing tips early on. Handling improved and the main problem after that was with engine cooling.

Nothing I've seen gives a definitive reason for the Utka being shelved, but a lack of interest combined with MiG focusing on military projects again as the Cold War warmed up seem probable reasons.

Well you have to go back to the primary reason it was designed and built, as a testbed for swept-wing development/testing,
it performed very well in that role and was used for years as a company hack. Realistically there was no pressing reason to
turn it into a production aircraft.

DarrenP2

RUC trialed the Optica, we used it for tracking practice with Blowpipe whilst waiting for the ferry to liverpool.

KiwiZac

Way back when I was more prolific here c.2006, inspired by the Winjeel, I built a re-engined DHC Chipmunk in near-East camo (think Beverley, Andover and Argosy) as a Vietnam FAC for an in-country RAF.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

I find myself laughing hysterically when trying to think about a Chipmunk and a Beverley in comparison with one another.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 30, 2017, 01:13:50 PM
Well you have to go back to the primary reason it was designed and built, as a testbed for swept-wing development/testing,
it performed very well in that role and was used for years as a company hack. Realistically there was no pressing reason to
turn it into a production aircraft.

A source I have claims it was originally designed as a Po-2 replacement but as a kind of "private venture" by MiG, with no requirement from Aeroflot or the GUAP. That's driven my thoughts about  FAC, dating back to the Trainers with Teeth GB.

It would explain another of the Utka's quirks, the passenger cabin, at odds with it's experimental status, also the MiG- designation. 
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

The MiG book by Belyakov (MiG designer and director) and Marmain states unequivocally
that it was for experimental use and quotes a note from Mikoyan and Gurevich as to the design's
purpose ditto the MiG Putnam by Gordon and Gunston, which does not include the Po 2 assertions
made in Gunston/Gordon's Soviet X-Planes, which leads one to wonder if that comes from Gunston
who actually wrote the book. This Po 2 replacement relationship diesn't appear in othe books and
probably comes from them trying to sell it as a Po 2 replacement to AEROFLOT.

Having a 'passenger cabin', really a space for monitoring engineers, on an experimental aircraft
isn't that unusual.

DarrenP2

percival provost is similar to the winjel. Rhodesians put rockets on them.

What would you use on the Chipmunk FAC for target indication?

AS.12

Possibly the last "dedicated-FAC" design was the SIAI SM.1019. but despite the era in which it was developed ( late 1960s ) it didn't incorporate features for survivability which would have been evident from Vietnam.  For example the turbine exhaust was dumped straight overboard without cooling and appears to lack any armour.

Popular now on the civilian market for bush-flying, though!

kitnut617

Quote from: AS.12 on February 01, 2017, 02:08:09 AM
Possibly the last "dedicated-FAC" design was the SIAI SM.1019. but despite the era in which it was developed ( late 1960s ) it didn't incorporate features for survivability which would have been evident from Vietnam.  For example the turbine exhaust was dumped straight overboard without cooling and appears to lack any armour.

You could say the same thing about the Cessna Bird Dog
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DarrenP2

or the AM3C bosbok the South Africans used

Mossie

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 31, 2017, 12:22:22 PM
The MiG book by Belyakov (MiG designer and director) and Marmain states unequivocally
that it was for experimental use and quotes a note from Mikoyan and Gurevich as to the design's
purpose ditto the MiG Putnam by Gordon and Gunston, which does not include the Po 2 assertions
made in Gunston/Gordon's Soviet X-Planes, which leads one to wonder if that comes from Gunston
who actually wrote the book. This Po 2 replacement relationship diesn't appear in othe books and
probably comes from them trying to sell it as a Po 2 replacement to AEROFLOT.

Having a 'passenger cabin', really a space for monitoring engineers, on an experimental aircraft
isn't that unusual.

Thanks John. :thumbsup:

KiwiZac

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 01, 2017, 03:31:55 AM
Quote from: AS.12 on February 01, 2017, 02:08:09 AM

You could say the same thing about the Cessna Bird Dog
You could, because the SM.1019 was just a Bird Dog with very slight redesign!

DarrenP2 - I put marker rockets on my Chocolate Chippy.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates