Twin tailed Canberra?

Started by Stratos, January 27, 2017, 12:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Would an air launched Bloodhound need the boosters?  They were to get it off the ground and up to a speed where the ram-jets could get going.  As long as the Canberra could reach that speed then the boosters would be unnecessary.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

A twin tail would hardly make sense on a Canberra, because the fins would sit directly in the (hot) jet efflux. While this arrangement is effective on propeller-driven aircraft, improving rudder effectveness, it's not so clever on jets... unless you get the fins out of teh way, somehow. A butterfly tail would IMHO be a better (and certainly also pretty) choice?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 29, 2017, 01:31:52 AM
Would an air launched Bloodhound need the boosters?  They were to get it off the ground and up to a speed where the ram-jets could get going.  As long as the Canberra could reach that speed then the boosters would be unnecessary.

Apparently so, as the Thor ramjets didn't get going till the Bloodhound had reached M 1.0 plus, and I doubt ANY Canberra could go that fast.  ;D

The Wiki page for the Bloodhound says it could reach 400 mph before it reached the end of the launcher and M 1.0 by the time it was 25 yards away, and the boosters dropped off 3 secs later, by which time it was doing M 2.2!!!  :o

That's some acceleration!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

So the Canberra would need bigger engines then... :unsure: :o

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 29, 2017, 02:18:36 AM

A bit, yes............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2017, 02:19:48 AM

Is this, we ask ourselves, leading to a Canberra with a pair of Olympus 593's?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Stratos

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 29, 2017, 01:39:47 AM
A twin tail would hardly make sense on a Canberra, because the fins would sit directly in the (hot) jet efflux. While this arrangement is effective on propeller-driven aircraft, improving rudder effectveness, it's not so clever on jets... unless you get the fins out of teh way, somehow. A butterfly tail would IMHO be a better (and certainly also pretty) choice?

And... a turboprop will benefit from such effect?

Dizzyfugu

Yes, but with the potential problems of hot exhaust gases, too. But I think it would not be as dire as with a true jet engine that relies on pure exhaust thrust.

Dork the kit slayer

Would smaller boosters be more acceptable ? or needed.?

My thinking is that the whole bloudhound unit would be dropped before the ignition sequence,or am I dinner before breakfast.(as usual)
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 29, 2017, 02:19:48 AM

Like this then, and raise the tail plane at the same time

All you'd need to do is raise the wing too, then there's a ton of room under the wing

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on January 29, 2017, 08:17:46 AM

My thinking is that the whole bloudhound unit would be dropped before the ignition sequence,or am I dinner before breakfast.(as usual)

That's my thinking as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great ideas here love the T-tailed example and yours is really coming along Robert !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

The boosters on the Bloodhound wouldn't have to be as big for air-launch, as, once dropped, the missile would accelerate in a dive, rather than upwards, reaching main engine ignition velocity faster & with less effort.

Probably not a significant weight saver but every bit counts.

I'd give the Canberra bigger engines, a high wing (much like the one kitnut617 has posted images of) & mount the Bloodhounds to the lower sides of the fuselage, instead of to the wings ... You could call it the Auckland or the Wellington II.

The configuration would be useful for air-launched nukes & cruise missiles, too.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 31, 2017, 05:29:24 AM

The boosters on the Bloodhound wouldn't have to be as big for air-launch, as, once dropped, the missile would accelerate in a dive, rather than upwards, reaching main engine ignition velocity faster & with less effort.

Diving would only accelerate it at 1g, and the existing boosters would seem to accelerate it at over 900 g!  :o :o

Just a slightly smaller booster would seem to offer much more acceleration per buck to my mind.

Regards
Kit