(DONE, pics pg. 2) NATO reporting name Harbinger. Bo-64 attack helo.

Started by TheChronicOne, January 28, 2017, 05:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Weaver on February 06, 2017, 06:03:19 PM
Since it's in Soviet service, couldn't you nick some Soviet weapons off some other helo kit, or even get aftermarket ones? UV-80 pods and AT-6 Spirals would make people look twice...

I'd love to but I'm on an extremely limited budget, as is my stash! I've no weapons to use in place of these...   

I decided to roll with the hellfires as I think that would be a valuable weapons system, any day of the week, and I think the Soviet fellers would appreciate them coming along with the helos themselves and opted to adopt them.

HOWEVER.......  I have decided to dispense with the rocket pods and have decided to turn those things into some sort of new/different weapon.  I haven't decided yet on what they will be but I definitely want to "shake things up" a bit by trying to create something new.

I would like some opinion on the paint scheme.  This helo is going to operate in Antarctica and perhaps parts of South America. Primarily Antarctica though. My initial thoughts were to do a two tone white/brown camo affair but I'm considering having an all white "Arctic Apache" instead. I'm torn, I can't seem to decide what I want to do because I think both would be cool. All white would certainly be easier. Not sure if I would like the two tone as much... but then again, I may like it more.

If I roll with the all white, I have some nice blue soviet style numbers for it and of course the red stars will stand out GLORIOUSLY.  Then again, the two tone camo could be BOSS.

What to do?!!?   

In other news......   This thing being of the snap tite nature, I've not had to take any measures to make my rotors easily removed! They *pop* on and off easily.  Score one for the lazy!   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the father........
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Weaver on February 07, 2017, 12:59:07 PM
White with pale grey splinter would be good.
I was thinking the same thing for something for this group build.  I committed to an all white scheme on this one just earlier but either my Osprey or something else I would like to try that.
-Sprues McDuck-

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

TheChronicOne

Yeaaaaah.... now that's another really good idea for a paint scheme.. Man, I hope I have enough time and kits to get all this stuff going! Like Pokemon a bit.. I gotta build 'em all.   :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Trying to knock this out today. 

It's either going to look right or be a disaster. Until I get it all together and the masks removed it's hard to tell if I made the right decision or not on the paint scheme. I'm hoping, as usual, the transfers bring it all together in the end.

I've decided to do away with the Guards' wreath and will scale back the kill marks or omit them, as well. No room to put that stuff on this one!!  I don't think it could be done and not look like garbage so I'll just keep this thing clean(er).

Also, the rocket pods have been morphed into anti ice-road/runway anti-machine thermate bombs. It may sound like milarkey but this is whifworld so I'll hang a gumball machine or grizzly bear off there if I feel like it.  ;D ;D ;D  I don't want to spend TOO much time researching things but I figure if you drop a 1,000 pounds of thermate on an ice road it could put a big ol' crater in there or something.. I dunno... sounds kind of cool to me so let's roll with it.  :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Finished!  I'm happy with it.  I'd like to remind the "academy" that I'm still a novice.. I still have only the most basic and crappiest of tools and supplies..  I've only been back building kits again since June or July of last year. Point being, I'm trying my best so don't judge my kits too harshly.  ;D ;D

Anyway, that milarky out of the way I do think the end product turned out well. Would it have been better with my initial plans of two tone camo? Who knows...  At the end of the day I had fun with this helo and for being a skill level 1 snap tite kite I think it is a decent representative of the subject matter.

Enough of my warbling  (not sure about the quality of these pics... they're alright but I'm thinking all the red from the CCCP stuff has my camera a bit confused; I may try a more traditional set of pics outside in the sun):

Kind of hard to see the sky blue on the bottom, etc...   I think the red was a mistake but I'll try to get better pics later. 

Dos...vodanya??    lol   However it's spelled. 

CHEERS! 

:lol:

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Snow Leopard ! Love the colours on her. And the markings really make it stand out. Great stuff !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Thank you,  Comrade! 

My pics are lacking for sure.. I wish I had the pretty blue and white contrast showing better.  My patriotic duty to display glorious loyalty has a lot of red up in here...   ;D ;D

I may try for better outside & in daylight pics before I submit to the finished builds thread.
-Sprues McDuck-

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-