זְרוֹעַ הָאֲוִיר וְהֶחָלָל Su-27SK Finished!!!

Started by Gondor, January 29, 2017, 09:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Gondor

Getting there. I'm starting to run out of things to PSR which is a bit of a relief so I thought I would post a couple of pictures of how things were going before I suddenly finish it, as if!

Painting the ejector seat and the undercarriage legs and wheels next I think. Got to sort out the colours I am going to use on her. I just had an idea that I may run out of paint as she is one BIG aircraft!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

There is more progress than the above pictures and to miss quote Messrs Gilbert & Sullivan "I have a little list of which nothing shall be missed"

Namely

• Extend the front flaps and fix in a drooped position
  • Clean up the undercarriage legs
  • Paint the Undercarriage legs and wheels and undercarriage doors
  • Paint the ejector seat and control column then fit both prior to attaching the canopy
  • Wash the model then scribe any missing panel lines
  • Paint the fuselage
  • Attach pre painted weapons rails, possibly before painting the fuselage
  • Add the Undercarriage and its doors
  • Decal then varnish the model

So not much to do  :-\

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Not got much done so far today as I found I need to extend the front flaps as they shrunk from being removed from the kit parts a little. It's been a very nice day here at times, almost good enough for a swim which the Su-27 had to get rid of dust, at lest until I re-scribe a few lines.

The picture is not the best but its taken in natural sunlight in the kitchen just after its dip.

I have been a bit unsure about the colours to paint this aircraft. Do I paint it the same colours, or as near as I can match from my stash of paint, the colours worn by the Syrian MiG-23's or do I paint it as per the usual Su-27 set of light blues and greys? I finally decided to paint it the blues and greys so I am now looking at painting something else in the very similar to Israeli colours that the MiG-23 looks to wear.

Gondor

Gondor

ARG!!!!!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

While cleaning up the nose leg, flash, of the Airfix Su-27 the dame thing broke at its weakest point  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I did see this coming as while I was looking at the parts prior to glueing them together I thought it was a week point and I was right  :banghead: :banghead:

What is it with nose legs and me? First it was the P.1121 nose leg which looked grossly over-scale as well as having a diabolical attachment method, now a similar problem happens with this kit and is likely to happen with other Su-27's as well. I'm not a happy bunny  :banghead:

As I said I was sort of expecting this to happen so out with a pin drill and some wire and start drilling holes.

Here is the hole I drilled into the leg, not quite central but the build is not exactly going into any competition. In the previous picture with the broken parts is the metal pin which will also look like the hydraulic piston that parted from its casing on the model.

Below is the nose wheel with the pin in place

And finally a group picture

It's not perfect and will do. Such a shame that it happened but so glad I was prepared for it even if I had to scramble around for the parts to fix the problem. I think I will have to look at white metal replacement parts for any other Su-27 kit I decide to build even though I thought the parts were going to stay in place as I was cleaning up the upper part of the leg. I suppose that on the bright side it was better that it happened now rather than when setting it down on the SIG table at a show.

Gondor going to lay down in a darkened room for a while

Old Wombat

You have NO idea how often the undercarriage broke on this build! :banghead:

I almost scrapped it a few times because of the trouble they gave me.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I'm thinking of digging out my Boxcar soon.  I can't remember if I invested in an SAC white metal leg set or not...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Hasegawa's first boxing of the Su-27 has white metal undercarriage, think that unless the nose wheel is moulded integrally with the leg I will go the white metal rout for any other Su-27 family builds.

Progress at the moment is slow, too many life things getting in the way  :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor

Yah !!!!! Paint!!!!

Started doing a little painting this evening. Some Xtracolor X602 which I am not 100% happy with but that's probably because the tin has been sat unused since I bought it many, many years ago. Most of the weapons pylons have been painted as have the outside of the undercarriage doors, apart from one I incidently snapped in half  :banghead:

Think I will actually give the whole thing a shot of primer once I fix a problem I have with the Starboard leading edge flap and then paint the model again with the X602 all over.

Gondor

TheChronicOne

That pesky "life" crap is getting on my nerves, too!   ;D 

Good to see ya move into the painting phase.   :thumbsup:  Can't wait to see this.
-Sprues McDuck-

Gondor

Painting is seriously getting under way. Decided to use Humbrol 127 for the light colour as not only does it cover with better paint density than the Xtracolor paint I was using, its also what Airfix was recommending. I am not looking for an exact colour match anyway, in fact I may paint selected areas with Xtracolor on top of the Humbrol paint to help give the aircraft a worn and used look. It's still going to need two coats where there is a lot of filler as I am ploughing on regardless despite not using a primer.

On the whole I'm happy with the way things are going at the moment  :thumbsup:

Gondor

TheChronicOne

Go for the gusto!  Strike while the iron is hot, and all other applicable sayings.   ;D

I want so badly to work on my two current projects but the nagging guilt of not doing certain chores means I'm about to polish off a beer and go outside to mow and pick up the yard...  :rolleyes:   Can't have no fun.  HMPH.   :angry:    :::toes the dirt/temper tantrum::::    ;D

You'll have to get twice as much done, now, to cover for me.   :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

Gondor

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 20, 2017, 04:48:28 PM

Errr nope. The Sargent says you have to dig your own fox hole!

Gondor

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Gondor on April 21, 2017, 02:38:10 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 20, 2017, 04:48:28 PM

Errr nope. The Sargent says you have to dig your own fox hole!

Gondor

;D ;D ;D

Good news is Saturday is looking like a "go."   ;) 
-Sprues McDuck-

Gondor

Just finished adding the harnesses to the seat so I thought I would share a couple of pictures to show that progress is actually being made.

First a general view from the front

And then a similar picture but this time next to an 11A scalpel blade to give some reference of scale.

Other news on the build is that the base colour is finally done! Only two more camouflage colours to go and the dielectric material colour where necessary, the metal areas around the exhausts on the upper and lower fuselage, the tyres and wheel hubs all need painting, aerials require to be added and painted, weapons pylons need added, oh the inside of the undercarriage doors need painting and then the doors added. Not forgetting to add the seat and glue the canopy into place and then add the decals.  :-\

So much do, so little time to do it

Back Later.......

Gondor