Mig-37SMT - Finished!! (pics pg6)

Started by jalles, January 29, 2017, 02:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jalles on May 05, 2017, 06:06:14 AM

It's nice that people here can appreciate the work that goes into our projects, I think most people don't understand the work involved, but you guys do!  I show one of my creations to my wife or family and they just kind of shrug and go "That's nice".  I don't mean that in a bad way, they're just not afflicted with my crazy compulsion to see these things come to life.

So VERY true!  :thumbsup:

The blending of the various bits of different kits is something even the most expert super detailing RW modeller never has to do, and most just don't appreciate the vast amount of work that goes into our Whiff creations.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Case in point: I only saw page 5 of this and thought all you'd done was relocate the wing. This is on a whole other level!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

jalles

Well, the MiG-37SMT is finally finished.  I managed to break off both of the canards after painting and gloss-coating, they're repaired but not perfect.  But at least it's done  :drink:

Quick background (cribbed from Wikipedia):

Towards the end of the 1990s, with the introduction of the USAF F-22 into service and the Navy's NATF program and F-35 development in full swing, a Soviet response was necessary to avoid the possibility of this new generation of American fighters gaining a serious technological advantage over existing Soviet fighters.

Thus the development of a new multi-role fighter became a priority.  In 1992, the Soviet General Staff issued a requirement for a Perspektivnyy Frontovoy Istrebitel (PFI, roughly "Advanced Frontline Fighter") to replace the multi-role MiG-29's just entering service.  Like recent US programs, this new aircraft was to utilize the latest in low observable technologies in order to penetrate NATO airspace defended by advanced air defense systems.  It was to be a multi-role platform with an emphasis on air-to-ground, much like the F-35.

Specifications for range and weapons load were extremely ambitious.

Detailed design work on the resultant Mikoyan Product 15, designated MiG-37A, began in 1995, with the first flight taking place on 18 October 2001. The pre-production aircraft was first spotted by United States reconnaissance satellites in November of that year; it was dubbed Ram-P because it was observed at the Zhukovsky flight test center near the town of Ramenskoye.

In the West, the new fighter was given the NATO reporting name "Firewall".

In the mid 2000s, right before the the collapse of the Soviet Union, Mikoyan developed the improved MiG-37SMT, this integrated the new R-77M air-to-air missile and and added improved avionics, including the removal of the HUD for a helmet mounted display. The weapons load was increased to 6,000 kg (13,000 lb) with airframe strengthening. These features were included in new-built fighters and upgrades to older MiG-37s.

AXU

JUST AWESOME !!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think it's the best whif model I've seen this year !
I like all of it,concept,paint job,photo...just brilliant...you did a great job!

Librarian

Quote from: AXU on May 14, 2017, 07:26:25 AM
JUST AWESOME !!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think it's the best whif model I've seen this year !
I like all of it,concept,paint job,photo...just brilliant...you did a great job!

Couldn't have put it better...and I'm no fan of 'stealth'. Superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CammNut

This is simply sheer brilliance. You have turned a whacko kit into compelling concept. Congratulations!

Captain Canada

That is gorgeous ! Great job on this one for sure one of this year's best !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

I concur wit' me esteemed colleagues!!!  ^^^^^

BRAVO!!!!!   
-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Snowtrooper

Amazing. Takes the basic concept of the "37" and then runs with it a couple of home runs.

dwomby

Excellent concept and execution!

David

Jesse220

That is the best model you've made  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Superb job there.  :thumbsup:

And I love this twist too.  ;D

Quote from: jalles on May 14, 2017, 07:16:17 AM

Quick background (cribbed from Wikipedia):

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Excellent work, no doubt! Love it!! :bow: :bow:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"