Soviet Stealth - SU-40 Flatliner

Started by DogfighterZen, February 02, 2017, 03:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 06, 2017, 07:36:25 PM
Looks Russian now !

:wub:

Yes it does, comrade! :thumbsup:

Managed to come close to the first paint mix to properly paint the gear bays and doors, and also masked and painted the inside of the canopy frame...

Found a couple of the Italeri's Su-27 air data probes in the spares bag and glued those on before final paint goes on...

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Looks good....and even more Russian lol

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

So, covered it in Nato black, which is more of a very dark grey but in the pic it's much lighter than in person... :mellow:

I chose not to go for a different scheme cause i like dark aircraft, this just suits my taste perfectly, call it what you will... :wacko:

Also painted the tires in the same XF-69 Nato black. Still not sure if i'm keeping the whole thing completely black or if i'll paint some bits with another color...
too late for that decision today, i'll figure it out tomorrow... :rolleyes:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 11, 2017, 09:29:32 PM
https://youtu.be/O4irXQhgMqg ;D

I've used that link on this forum too...   ;D :thumbsup:
Love that song since my teens, first heard it watching a BMX video back in 1996... Stones are always good!! :bow:

Ok, gonna have the afternoon for myself so i'll have to get this thing going, i wanna build the F/A-16W and the YF-23! Not that i don't like this little bugger but i just wanna finish it so i can concentrate on the other 2 models, which are some of my fav aircraft.
That said, i still have to choose if i'm going to paint some other things... :banghead:

DogfighterZen

Gloss coated...

After this i started the decals, stars, numbers and nose sensor lenses applied, small stencils go on tomorrow...

zenrat

Good luck.  Took me about 5 hours today to do all the stencils on mine.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on March 13, 2017, 01:43:09 AM

Ouch... thanks, now i know what awaits me...  :o Fred, did you use the stars of the kit's sheet? Mine just started curling up after the setting solution went on... :banghead:
Let's see if manage to finish them without mishaps...

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on March 13, 2017, 01:43:09 AM

Well, i guess we have a similar decal applying rate, it was around 5 hours of decals but it's all done, only left 2 small ones out due to the changes done on the airframe, i had to rearrange the location of some in different places.
It adds to the look, i like dark aircraft but i also like some color contrast and the dark red of these decals suits it fine cause they don't stand out more then they should.
But i have to buy Micro sol, the medium version of Vallejo's decal solution i used on the stars, numbers and nose sensor lenses is too harsh on some decals and even the gloss coat, i've had problems with it before and i think this was the last time i used it.
Anyway, tomorrow is another gloss coat and some very light weathering on the exhaust nozzle. If i work fast and the gloss coat dries up enough, it'll get a matte varnish coat and the landing gear goes on.

zenrat

I used the grey stencils and the lighter red stars.
The opacity of the stars meant I had to adjust their position on the wings so they didn't overlap a colour change.
I've still got to paint the UC & bomb bay doors and put the stencils on them.

Can't wait to see this.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on March 14, 2017, 02:38:11 AM
I used the grey stencils and the lighter red stars.
The opacity of the stars meant I had to adjust their position on the wings so they didn't overlap a colour change.
I've still got to paint the UC & bomb bay doors and put the stencils on them.

Can't wait to see this.

Makes perfect sense on the scheme you've done.  :thumbsup:
I had to apply a second dab of setting solution on all of the decals cause most of them didn't conform properly and i'm still not sure if it was enough to avoid some silvering. Over the black, it stands out quite a bit so if the second application doesn't work, it's gonna look very bad... :banghead:
I still have to paint the U/C legs and the green on the wheels.

DogfighterZen

Got the post-decals gloss coat sprayed on the thing today, also got the U/C painted...

Tomorrow, a final matte coat and final assembly... :party:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 15, 2017, 10:00:53 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 15, 2017, 07:26:25 AM

Nice undercarriage

And the green looks suitably Soviet too.  :thumbsup:

Thank you! :bow:
Just simple Tamiya XF-26 matte green on the rims, tires were XF-69 Nato black, gear legs were painted with XF-56 metallic grey and the oleo struts are XF-11 silver.
Went with the look of the Mig-23's landing gear, it's the closest to the kit's gear that i could find. Matte coat going on the little bugger right now! :thumbsup: