Armed V-22 Osprey

Started by silverwindblade, February 05, 2017, 12:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwindblade

I've always had a love affair with the V-22. It's such a cool aircraft, and having seen them flying on more than one occasion, I was inspired to build the one in my stash.
It's the 1/48 Italeri example, of course, as there's no other options in that scale.
It's a mother of a kit to build; I had a lot of trouble with fit issues and there were several moments where teeth were gnashed and expletives uttered. However, I eventually managed to make it to the end. At one point, just as I was about to begin painting, I did have trouble with the interior becoming detached, which put paid to my idea of doing it with the ramp open.

Instead, I did it all closed up.
I did it in a desert scheme, which unintentionally made it look like one of the Ospreys from Half-life..!

The weapons pylons are on in the location as seen in the test versions of the Osprey, as shown a few years ago.
Had I been feeling more bold, I might have opened up the passenged door and put a pintle-mounted minigun in, but I didn't feel up to it, and besides, I liked my weapons already planned too much.

It also received a fully retracted IFR boom, as that would stop it getting knocked off the shelf or snapped off. The probe tip was replaced with one of the metal Master Model ones.
Weapons are resin rocket pods, and two Hellfires donated by a friend. The remaining ones a slated for a Tigre build later this year (well, probably) and a Bronco.

The Osprey also met a fellow WHIF osprey on the table at my local model club; the same friend who donated me the Hellfires also did an example in RAF colours, and had the idea of adding a Chinook defensive suite - an idea I wish I'd thought of too.

Hope you like the pics!

Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

This turned out really well! The weapons placement is about as logical as I could imagine.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

silverwindblade

Quote from: kerick on February 05, 2017, 09:14:31 PM
This turned out really well! The weapons placement is about as logical as I could imagine.

Thank you - I based the pylon placement on the images I'd seen on Foxtrot Alpha of some tests of an Osprey with weapon in that location. I just made them a bit more 'finished' looking, and used parts I already had to fashion the pylons.

Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

McColm

zenrat

That looks pretty good.
Hard to believe they haven't done this for real yet.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Devilfish

Cool! I do love an Osprey whif. 

I placed the pylons further back on my RN one.  But then I have the luxury of the fact that Sea Skuas drop away before firing up.

Captain Canada

Very nice. I love the colour scheme and the flashy tail, and the weapons looks great on her !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been thinking of something along the same lines for one of my V-22's, if a comment must be made I think the weapons should have run in line with the bottom of the fuselage, like your photo of the test V-22 shows. I've seen a V-22 flying back in 2012 and they don't fly like a helicopter does in forward mode, they fly like an aeroplane does
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Glenn Gilbertson

TheChronicOne

How cool is that!! Nice work!

You mention that you really like the Osprey... just so happens I'm building one for the Soviet Group Build so keep an eye out for that! You may enjoy it. I doubt it will be nearly as nice that this, however.

This is really great, bravo!
-Sprues McDuck-

comrade harps

Whatever.

Joe C-P

Very nice!
I'd thought of making a USMC version, taking the weapons from an AH-1, or a US ASW version taking the equipment from an SH-60. Glad to see I'm not the only one.  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

KiwiZac

I like this so, so much. The pylons and camo really make it.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

DogfighterZen

Missed this one... that's very nice work... IMHO, the only thing missing is a gun... :wacko: :thumbsup:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"