Folland Gnat F.1 - Build in Progress

Started by strobez, February 06, 2017, 04:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

So, I'd been looking for a "partner" aircraft for my C.714 build in my Area 88 project. Obviously it's only loosely connected since it's a WHIF of an already fictional storyline... basically my own self-insertion into the storyline (and a good excuse to basically build whatever strikes my fancy anyway). I'd originally chosen a Super-Étendard as my first jet entry, but despite the "French connection" to the C.714, it seems to be a bit of a mismatch in terms of actual capabilities.

I fell in love with the C.714, but have no illusions about its battle prowess, and my fictional storyline basically had me buying one as my first fighter because I couldn't afford anything better.

To that end, after a bit of searching, I settled on a Folland Gnat F.1 as a suitable partner. It's not French, but the low cost, small, ground fighter aspects seem to fit well. Plus, I just like the look of the Gnat, and that's all that really matters.

The problem is, I don't actually know all that much about the plane itself. I do know it's primarily used as a demo team plane and a trainer in the UK, but was exported as a fighter to a few places.

The kit I have is the new (2012) Airfix tool in 1/72, but it's a T.1 not an F.1, so I could use some help to convert it.  I assume I need to lose the second seat, but what goes behind? Do I need to alter the canopy? What about guns? Where do they go? Etc.

I am planning on using this project to try to use the hairspray technique for the first time to do a "chipped camouflage over aluminium" look in a similar colour scheme to the C.714. As I won't be trying to do an open cockpit this time, I don't plan to spend a ton of time on the interior.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Greg

PR19_Kit

The bad news is to make a proper Gnat F1 you need to change pretty much the entire airframe. The F1 has smaller wings, tail and fuselage and there's not much else left to change..

But the good news is that this is WhiffWorld and you can blank off the rear seat of the cockpit and canopy and bingo, you have your own version of the Gnat 'F1'.  ;D

Special Hobby actually do a proper single seat Gnat, but that costs money and it'd be 'real'.

Quite a few two-seaters have been converted to single seaters on here so it's worth a search under 'single seat Gnat' I reckon.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

Thanks Kit! I really should have used the search function...  :wub:

I just saw Dizzyfugu's Gnat float plane and I'm suddenly more excited than I was to do up this little baby.  :o

I'm also rethinking my plan for a closed cockpit.  Didn't look that hard to blank off the back end actually. Hmmm...
Thanks!

Greg

TallEng

There are also a couple of ideas in the "Gnat theme build"
Which I'm sure you'll find easily enough, it's towards the bottom of
The what if home page/index, under Themed build funnily enough  :rolleyes:
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

strobez

So, after reviewing the situation more closely, I decided a single seater Gnat was a bridge too far for this build. It would take more reconstructive surgery than this "quick build" has in it.

Instead, it'll just be a two-seater with weapons. :)

Not much to really show yet, but you have to start at the beginning I guess.

Thanks!

Greg

sandiego89

I think something similar for what Mitsubishi did for their F-1 would be a good way to go.  Basically took the F-2 and sheet metaled over the second cockpit. Mitsubishi took the two seat F-2 and turned into a single seat F-1. You could just paint over the rear of the canopy, or better yet keep it clear to give your driver some rearward visibility, and scratch up a fuel tank in place of the rear seat.  Your Gnat will be very payload restricted with guns and missiles/bombs.  No need for the back seater. No real surgery required. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 07, 2017, 02:27:57 PM
I think something similar for what Mitsubishi did for their F-1 would be a good way to go.  Basically took the F-2 and sheet metaled over the second cockpit. Mitsubishi took the two seat F-2 and turned into a single seat F-1. You could just paint over the rear of the canopy, or better yet keep it clear to give your driver some rearward visibility, and scratch up a fuel tank in place of the rear seat.  Your Gnat will be very payload restricted with guns and missiles/bombs.  No need for the back seater. No real surgery required. 

-Dave

Aero took exactly option B with the L-159 Alca:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_L-159_Alca
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on February 07, 2017, 06:02:46 PM
Quote from: sandiego89 on February 07, 2017, 02:27:57 PM

-Dave

Aero took exactly option B with the L-159 Alca:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_L-159_Alca

Perfect Weaver- a much easier way to make a single seater and gets you extra gas. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

strobez

Oooooh...  :o

I like that! After looking at the canopy construction, I thought this would be too difficult to pull off, but I think this might actually work well.  Thanks for the tips!
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Ok, it's been a while since I updated this project, but here goes.

Taking some good advice, I decided to blank off the rear seat. Using a bit of a textured styrene sheet, I cut it to fit.

Then I scratched up some do-dads for the back behind the seat. It kinda looks like radio equipment to me. Luckily, what I say goes... so that's what it is.  <_<

Jumping ahead a bit, I painted and detailed the cockpit and the gear wells and finally got the fuselage together.

I'm not sure if it's because I broke a couple of the alignment posts, or if the plastic started to warp a bit, or if my seat blank was just a teeny bit in the way (probably all three), but getting the fuselage together was a chore. The plastic kept separating and in my eagerness to smoosh the parts together, I accidentally misaligned the bottom panel over the wheel well. It's together, but not as pretty as I'd like.  I think I need new clamps.

Thanks!

Greg

KiwiZac

That pile of do-dads looks fantastic all painted up, bravo Greg!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

DogfighterZen

Like where this is going, another idea similar to one i had with that same kit, mine will be a Portuguese trainer jet converted into a light attack single-seat fighter but that's in the long term list... :rolleyes:
That cockpit is looking very good! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

strobez

Thanks guys! The cockpit turned out alright. I should have spent more time/care on the sidewalls, but oh well. That bit behind the seat is what is mostly visible anyway.

I trimmed the excess glue and added a bit of putty. The fit is actually quite good except for my hamfisted attempt to get the wing on resulting in the need for more putty than I might have otherwise needed. Still not too bad overall.

Thanks!

Greg

Pellson

Crap. Now you made me take out the Airfix Gnat from storage. As if I didn't have enough models on the desk already..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Captain Canada

Nice one ! The filled in rear seat looks good.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?