(DONE, pics pg 16/17) NATO Reporting name "Bull." Cuban Tu-4 Heavy Bomber

Started by TheChronicOne, February 16, 2017, 03:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2017, 03:30:32 PM
I hope the altimeters are calibrated in metres, and not feet, this being a Soviet aircraft.  ;D ;)

;D ;D

These lil guys would be lucky to have matching instrument panels!!  Doesn't look like they have been afforded that luxury, from what I can see,  so perhaps one panel for each ???  Castro rides along and dictates which to use.  :angel: :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: McColm on February 24, 2017, 04:00:09 PM
You'll find gaps in the engine nacelles best dry brush the cylinder heads before gluing them in place.
You may find that it's easier to add the main landing gear to the lower wings before you glue the two halves together as it can be a bit fiddly adding them afterwards.
Tip tanks can be added or auxiliary jet engines if you prefer.
Good looking out!  Great tip on the gear...    I'm closing in that part of the build. I may do the bombs or paint the glazing or other piddly stuff first but main construction is drawing nearer.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

The bomb aimer is going to need a visit to the chiropractor if he sits like that for too long.

Coming together well.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on February 24, 2017, 08:02:24 PM
The bomb aimer is going to need a visit to the chiropractor if he sits like that for too long.

Coming together well.
:thumbsup:

Thanks, Fred!   I suspect ol' boy there will take advantage of the glorious social medicine in Cuba!   ;D   Castro makes him look for FOD through the bomb sight as the plane taxis.

Work planned for today... uhhh....  Hell I don't know. I need my coffee. I'll get back on that. ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Cockpit and crew are looking good and i think the detailing is paying off. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Thanks, biggin!  CastroForce-1 is CastroForce-FUN!   

Nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk!    ;D ;D

:::pulled off stage by big hook::::
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 25, 2017, 12:22:18 PM

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 27, 2017, 05:33:26 AM
Looks great too bad you have to close it up !

:wub:
My thoughts as well! I hope I can keep the glass nice and clear and clean so if someone decides to look inside they might see a tiny shred of it.  lol.   Also, I'm kind of wondering why I bother painting the lil dudes that go in the back. I think theres a couple small windows back there but.......  ?!   Oh well.. I have pictures of it so that's good, at least! It's not completely for naught. I can't help but think that a lot of this type work is never seen by anyone aside from the guy that eventually runs it over in the landfill when it cracks open under the weight of them big trash movers.  ;D ;D

Quote from: scooter on February 27, 2017, 06:23:21 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 25, 2017, 12:22:18 PM

:o ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

OK, got the transfers in today in the mail. Just opened them up. Under light I can see all kinds of veins and spider webbing across the surface. Doesn't look the same as old dried transfers that explode in water, but still troubling. I'll cut one from an area with a lot of the veining and try it on my test plane. I hope these are viable.

I don't have much experience with "made" or "printed" transfers. Another thing of note is the roundels themselves (the white stars in the middle of.. ) have a pixelated look.. because they are. I'm not too bothered by it personally, but the quality could be better. That said, the other sheet with the fin flash and stuff looks much more crisp with the stars. If they stay on the model and don't fall apart I'm happy!   

(other stuff is $1 a piece items from Dollar Tree that I picked up today... them "chip clips" are larger than standard, how neat!)

-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

You could leave some areas exposed if you wanted to, by painting a thick red line around them or/and use a thinner piece of clear plastic instead if you don't want any dust to get in.

TheChronicOne

Damn now that's a cool idea! I won't be doing it on this but I love the idea ... the cut out with the red outline. I would really like to get the new airfix B-17 at some point and I'd like to get one to do this on.  Hmmmmm.....   :thumbsup: 
-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

oh yes, that one is good, and would fit all the best a very large aircraft

Quote from: zenrat on February 17, 2017, 07:52:39 PM
i've always been partial to this scheme.

Librarian

If you test a decal and it breaks up then try giving each one a coat of gloss varnish, let it dry and try again. Helps hold weak decals together.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Librarian on February 28, 2017, 02:30:18 PM
If you test a decal and it breaks up then try giving each one a coat of gloss varnish, let it dry and try again. Helps hold weak decals together.

Roger that. I tried one, the worst on the whole page, and it had chipping problems. Still, being the WORST one it worked I'd say 85% of the way. I suspect a lot of the others will work better. Still, I agree. I will hit these sheets with some clear gloss to seal everything up and I think I'll be good to go. If need be, I can break out my tiny sized paint brush and do touch ups.

-Sprues McDuck-