(DONE, pics pg 16/17) NATO Reporting name "Bull." Cuban Tu-4 Heavy Bomber

Started by TheChronicOne, February 16, 2017, 03:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

lol it happens !

The figure sets look pretty cool. I like the stewardess and worker set, that would really liven up an airliner display.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 19, 2017, 05:15:44 AM
lol it happens !

The figure sets look pretty cool. I like the stewardess and worker set, that would really liven up an airliner display.

:thumbsup:
Yeah them are really neat.  I really had no idea so many different types and kinds of figures were available. Awesome!

I even managed to find a 1/72 Castro figure that apparently they only just put on the market about 2 months ago. Funny though because I could never get the page with the order info and such to work.

And yeah it happens!! I try to tell myself that past a certain number of beers that I shouldn't try to do stuff that requires finesse but then the crap judgment takes over and.. well here are!   :o ;D    I don't THINK I messed anything up, though!  Even the couple of things I glued seem to be alright.. I don't see any fingerprints or globs or anything so... yay!   :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

This thing has been on hold because I need the bomb bay doors done to get to the next part which involved gluing all the bombs and bomb racks inside the bomb bay. Problem being that I'm trying to be fancy and put blue/white striping on the doors like those of the Cuban flag. Of course, this all takes planning which involves measuring, math, making the masks, etc etc etc and for what will be a simple result seems to take a lot of effort. (not the least of which is simply FINDING everything... such as my preferred ruler, my knives, etc... nothing is ever as simple as "do it" it always takes so much more)

Anway, I found some free time so decided to dive on in and try my best:

The task at hand is to create strips of masking tape so I can achieve blue/white stripes on the bomb bay doors like those found on the Cuban flag. After having done a bunch of math I've found that I need two 7/16" strips per door (to cover the white) then I can paint the blue then I'll have my five stripes. Of course, I ain't got no 7/16" wide tape so I need to make it myself and I'm not about to try to do it with scissors.

I'm just going to measure it out and make points along the tape, draw a line, then use my metal rule as a guide then just sliiiiide the knife down the edge. If all goes well, I'll have two long 7/16" wide strips of tape that I can then go ahead and use my scissors to cut them into segments and slap 'em on the doors. Of course, I'll need to put guide marks on said doors as well but I'm just concentrating on making these strips.

Anyway.. I think I have the right idea and my blade seems sharp enough so here we go! 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Lookin' good!!  If you really look, you can even see the cut lines up with the outside edge of one of the dots on the pad at both the top and bottom!  I did it!!  It's just a straight cut but It's a step in the right direction for me... My blade didn't fly off in some weird direction or anything.

I *think* I can get all 8 segments out of this strip, if not, I'll whack some off of the surplus.

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Muchos gracias, mi amigo.

Finally back to work on this. I have been utterly and hilariously busy lately and on top of that I thought I was down to the last 2 days of the Facebook group build for my little Tucano I dumped all my time into it (when I finally DID have free time) so this bad boy has been on the back burner.

I've been itching to proceed, however, and today I finally got to. Moving right along with the portion that has the rest of major construction on halt which would be the bomb bay doors.

I have to go back and do touch up and some of the white came off with the tape ( I already put one coat back on but I think another two will be required to get it the same shade as the rest of it) but not too shab! This type of move can either turn out great, add a nice bit if "flair" to the build, or can turn out to be gaudy, tacky, and generally a pile of steaming crap. So far.... I'm pleased!!  One thing I am going to try is paint the tiny raised area on top red (like the flag). If it winds up being too much, I'll just cover it back up with white and be good to go. But, I'm interested to see what it would look like so stand by for comparison pics soon.

I also wrapped up filing on the prop blades as there is a fair amount of flash on them. Probably will paint then pretty soon as nothing else is dependent upon it... if I find a spare 5 minutes to do it it'll just be five minutes less work in the future. Thoughts pertaining to the same general area include what color to paint the spinners and forward engine cowlings......   Thinking red for the spinners and perhaps green for the cowlings? Either that or just leave the cowlings to be camo like the rest of the plane. Or maybe red cowlings and something else for the spinners??  I don't know....  maybe green cowlings and silver spinners.... or..... silver spinners and red cowlings....or camo cowlings......... uhhh.... :banghead: :banghead: ;D ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

OK, here we go.... the red needs touching up but I think this gives a good idea of the finished product and the one without it is pretty much good to go as is if I go with that style.

So, which looks better? Red strip or no?

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Late to the show as usual, I am looking forward to seeing this when it is finished. Reading through the thread about colour schemes, I agree with everyone that a simple 2 tone would be best as the time frame it would be flying in wasn't one for loud paint jobs. Plus you wouldn't appreciate it as the pics would be in black and white... ;D
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TheChronicOne

Agreed on all counts, fellas!

Sometimes I'm wishy washy on paint because it's hard to imagine the end result sometimes.   

So, today, if I get back to work... finish me red stripe job then back to "major" construction. It's just a matter now of getting all the stuff glued into the fus halves  (as much as I can so they still sit flat on a table) then I'm going in on the wings. I have to finish painting the ailerons then I cac go ahead and get the wing halves slapped together and get them dry so I can come back and file the edges.... then, glue them to the halves per McColms helpful hint about droopy wings. At around this point I think things will start to speed up and we'll finally be looking at an aircraft instead of just bits of it.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger!   

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

A PROPER update this time!! I get busy and dispense with picture taking which is a shame because that's at least as important as all the written details. Anyway, I've managed a good amount of free time and I shook off that lazy bone and finally gathered up a bunch of the little stuff I've been working on for a group photo and also a photo of the NEW stuff just done, namely my pet project (bomb bay doors) and the props.

What fun!!! I think these items turned out great!!! 

It's cool knocking this stuff out... I decided to just stick with painting today and have been at it for hours. Other things not pictured are things like the elevators and rudder. Rudder is being painted true white then will be glossed so I can apply the Cuban fin flash transfers. The elevators painted just like the ailerons (pictured in the "group" photo above) with the base blue on top and light grey on bottom. 

Not sure where to head next, exactly.. I know I'm wanting to get the wing halves together and I think with the ailerons finished I can probably do that but I'd need to stop, reference the instructions, and gather my thoughts.

Cheers!

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Go figure!  Take a few good pics then one that looks terrible.

;D

Ah well....    all the wings are glued together now.  There is substantial overhang in some areas, so copious filing to follow upon the glue drying.

Next up, gluing all the racks o' bombs into the bays along w/ the doors.

I may look to see if some minor things can be done after the bombs and stuff but with some of the "major construction" done and dusted I'm about ready to put it all up and perhaps do a little more to my Tucano.  :thumbsup:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well, damn!   ;D

It never occured to me to flip the direction of the bombs as I was gluing them on the racks..... as I got to applying glue, all the bombs on the starboard fus halve were facing aft.   ;D ;D ;D

Since I had already put my glue on the two racks in the forward bomb bay, I had to SNAP the bombs off the racks and go ahead and glue the racks on. Went ahead and duplicated the process for the rear bomb bay.   ;D :banghead:   Once the glue all dries up I'll have to get in there with snips and files and get rid of the nubs and "slag" left over from the breakage then file the bombs themselves back smooth and glue them on....    This is one of them mistakes that.... you know.. it's seems so obvious after you make it........   I can't help but laugh.  :unsure: ;D

Yeeeeeeup, time to put this bad boy up for awhile.   ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

They could be used for bombing targets behind you..................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit