(DONE, pics pg 16/17) NATO Reporting name "Bull." Cuban Tu-4 Heavy Bomber

Started by TheChronicOne, February 16, 2017, 03:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

sandiego89

Just a quick observation that it looks like the the photo the B-50 #372 at the Pima museum looks like the propellors are in the feathered position- so don't use that as a reference for normal blade angle or "twist". All the other photos above seem to be in a normal flight position.  Agree that the B-29 and B-29 props are different, but may be "close enough" for modeling.  Like Gondor says, the C-97 and other airplanes using the 4360 might be a good source for B-50 engines/nacelles/props.

Also those squared off tips in the one black and white photo do look similar to C-130 props. Curious.... 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 12, 2017, 03:16:36 PM

Also those squared off tips in the one black and white photo do look similar to C-130 props. Curious....

C-130 props have square tips where as the B-29/C-97 family of aircraft have rounded tips to their props.

I did find my spares for the B-29/C-97 family of aircraft. I have two nacelles for the B-50/C-97 and their engines and propellers as the other two are in a box somewhere destined for a conversion/whiff I had in mind but have forgotten what and where the parts are  :-\  :banghead:

There are a couple of the B-50 style nose glass's in the box as well as a few other parts too, if anyone wants.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

TheChronicOne

Before I head off to work here and I want to reply to everyone properly, so I'll be back later, but I just wanted to stop and say, YES, I want everything you can load me up with.  Especially the nose glass.  Well, aside from what I have already and don't need.  I have the engine conversions coming from Kit along with the new tail/rudder bit and the spinners and stuff but I still need things like prop blades, the aforementioned nose glass piece, etc.  I'll try to start getting together a list of stuff I still need.

Also, man, I sure am glad all yous guys are showing up and we're having fun conversation here!! How cool is this?!  I love the people here.

Thanks for the tip on the prop angle stuff!! I was wondering about that.. I know variable angle is a thing and I was hoping that was the case in that paricular instance although I hadnt planned on the using that photo as ref, just the ones from the AF museum. 

I found some aeroclub props that "look" the part:

14' diameter... I just need to figure out what the diameter of the B-50 props are and if close enough I need to email them and check for availability. As much as I'd like to use the B-29 props that came with the kit they don't look remotely correct and even my lax standards won't allow me to use them.  I suppose worse comes to worse I can try extending them with plastic card. I imagine if I were to be patient and concentrate I could cut a series of extensions to glue on and then sand everything smooth. Might actually be good practice for scratching building but I'd rather avoid it all to be honest!!!

Catch you alls later!   :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: Leading Observer on April 12, 2017, 12:11:28 PM
There is always this option:

Never seen that before, at least I don't think I have.

Nice looking airplane  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Leading Observer

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2017, 06:27:24 AM
Quote from: Leading Observer on April 12, 2017, 12:11:28 PM
There is always this option:

Never seen that before, at least I don't think I have.

Nice looking airplane  :thumbsup:

It's a Chinese Turboprop Tu-4
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

TheChronicOne

Yeah that's pretty sweet!  I like the contraptions hanging from the wings!! 

Let's see here.. I have 4 of these things... One is the Tu-4. One will be the WD-40.. err. uuhh.... WB-50D.........  One is destined to be a legit B-29 so that leaves one slot open and I rather like the looks of this so it's definitely in the running!  Great suggestion, L.O.! 
All this talk has me excited to get back to work on THIS one.. I hope I can today. I have a small lawn business disaster on my hands (rained out and some of my stuff is breaking down! ) so in between downpours I'll be working on that milarkey but I'd like to settle in for a few hours of modeling if I can.   :laugh:

I have to fix the mangled tail plane and then I can glue on the main wings.. in fact, I'll do the mains first so that stuff can "set up." I'll have to set the fus halves flat and prop the stuff against a wall or something. 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 13, 2017, 09:43:44 AM

Those are reverse engineered Ryan Firebee drones, used by the USAF for unmanned reconnaissance and as a target.

Apparently the Chinese got hold of some that had come down during the Viet Nam business and built their own versions, calling them the Wu Zhen.....  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

WD-40 with skis Arctic 'Monkeys' Patrol aircraft with the AN/APS-20 radar in a ventral radome fixed to the forward bomb bay and a pair of auxiliary jet engines under each wing.
The USNavy used B-29's as picket AEW platforms until the EC-121 Constellation Warning Star entered service with the USAF and USNavy.

TheChronicOne

^ ;D ;D

"I be writing checks my modeling skills can't cash."   ;D ;D ;D   I'll leave the WD-40 up you, good buddy! 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 13, 2017, 11:16:54 AM

Those are reverse engineered Ryan Firebee drones, used by the USAF for unmanned reconnaissance and as a target.

Apparently the Chinese got hold of some that had come down during the Viet Nam business and built their own versions, calling them the Wu Zhen.....  :o

I thought they looked familiar! I saw an Italeri 1/48 Hercules kit that comes with 'em. Real flashy lookin. C-130 Director.

I wonder if they could be had in 1/72. 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 13, 2017, 01:32:41 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 13, 2017, 11:16:54 AM

I thought they looked familiar! I saw an Italeri 1/48 Hercules kit that comes with 'em. Real flashy lookin. C-130 Director.

I wonder if they could be had in 1/72.

Italeri did the same pairing in 1/72 too, but it's OOP now AFAIK.

But Belcher Bits do the Firebee in resin.  :thumbsup:

See here:- http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/172conv/bl6.htm
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Ah ha!! Very nice!! Comes with a pair!  That's not a bad price for a pair of them. 

Good looking out.  Wow, I'm on my way to having a hell of a decent small collection of "29" variants.  :laugh:   Just gotta build 'em all.   ;D

I'm up to the task. I can't wait to try it. I'll never learn to really kit bash and scratch and mod things until I just jump in there and do it.  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 13, 2017, 02:39:01 PM

I'll never learn to really kit bash and scratch and mod things until I just jump in there and do it.  :thumbsup:

That's how we all started Brad, go for it.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Apparently the Tu-4 was in service with China for some time with several converted to "Turbo Bull" configuration in the 1970's using the local version of the AJ-20K engines. One aircraft was modified to carry Chinese copies of the Ryan BQM-34A Firebee while another was converted into an AWACS aircraft. LINK

There has been a conversion set of the latter aircraft made by Cutting Edge in both 1/48 and 1/72 but they are rather rare and command quite a price.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....