4-engined Avro Manchester? Yeah, I know...

Started by The Rat, February 16, 2017, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

...it was called the Lancaster. The RR Vulture engine was a problematic beastie that led to the Manchester's demise, but like a phoenix from the ashes it was reborn with four RR Merlins and became the legendary Lancaster.  But...

What if the Vulture had been a success? Let's say that it actually did turn out the designed 1750hp, much more powerful than the 1000 or so horsepower of the early Merlins. And the RAF gets greedy. It decides to put 4 of them on the Manchester and produce a bomber with the collective power of a Lancaster that wouldn't exist until much later in the war, when the Merlin finally approached, and eventually surpassed, the first Vulture.

And what if the horsepower of the Vulture had progressed like the Merlin did? After a few years would we have seen frighteningly powerful chunks of metal that could have lifted a Manchester almost vertical?

My head is spinning like a Hamilton Standard prop, and it ain't just the gin. Really got the urge to make one. Does anyone make an after-market RR Vulture?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

McColm

A company called HBM do a resin early Manchester MkI nacelle conversion set HBM72000a.

zenrat

Awesome idea.
All that extra power would mean you could gun it up like a B17.  I've always thought what the Lanc really needed was a Sperry style ball turret.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Brit's conducting a successful day-night air-raid combo with 4-engined bombers before the USA even gets into the war, with each aircraft having a standard payload >13,000lbs.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Cool idea Rat ! I can only imagine what they would be rated for if they had gone the way of the Merlin.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat

Of course there is always the 6 engine version  :angel:

Leading Observer

Quote from: tigercat on February 17, 2017, 10:07:46 AM

Wouldn't that necessitate it having much longer wings?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Rheged

I see your 6 engines and trump it (am I allowed to say that nowadays?)

http://dinger.byethost5.com/Aart.htm

Scroll down this page to the Avro 10 engined  bomber!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Leading Observer on February 17, 2017, 10:55:22 AM

And that's wrong????  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on February 17, 2017, 11:49:08 AM

You'd need turrets out on the wings/wing-tips purely to protect the outer engines from nightfighters. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tigercat

I think the outer engines would be in a different time zone....

NARSES2

Quote from: Leading Observer on February 17, 2017, 10:55:22 AM

Nope, just have two nacelles with a push/pull arrangement and the other two with push or pull mounts.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Rheged on February 17, 2017, 11:49:08 AM

I'll settle for those Vicker's "Super Bomber" projects. Just wonder what a realistic date would have been for them entering service ?

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 18, 2017, 02:50:49 AM

You'd need turrets out on the wings/wing-tips purely to protect the outer engines from nightfighters. :rolleyes:

A lot of the war time projects did just that  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

I started a project some years ago where the idea was to revisit the Manchester theme by putting two very powerful engines on it, like RR 24 cylinder H-configured Eagle engines. That progressed into a Twin Manchester with three engines, and using Lincoln outer wings and fuselage parts.

Unfortunately, the planning stage was all it got to, plus gathering all the parts to do it and there it sits in the pile of "To Do" projects.

I'm going to call it an Avro Chadderton

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,20781.15.html
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Quote from: McColm on February 16, 2017, 11:40:52 PM
A company called HBM do a resin early Manchester MkI nacelle conversion set HBM72000a.

Looked around, they seem to be rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr