F-103, F-107, and F-108

Started by tigercat2, November 20, 2004, 09:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

Two great aircraft - NAA's finest efforts from the late 50s.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Here is a photo of an F-107 in a SAC-style SIOP cammo.   Hopefully it will upload to this forum.

Wes W.

Tophe

Nice and original models... :)
I am surprised by the 108, as the source I had presented a canard delta (NA-257 Rapier). I may check the Web to understand better the possible versions of this project. Interesting... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

tigercat2

For a look at a great F-108 model, and some background information, go to

http://hsfeatures.com/f108pb_1.htm

Wes W.

tigercat2

A What if photo of an operational F-103.  This was quite a plane that Republic proposed - too far ahead of its time!!

Wes W.

Tophe

QuoteFor a look at a great F-108 model, and some background information, go to http://hsfeatures.com/f108pb_1.htm Wes W.
Thanks, nice article :) , confirming your source, not mine (MiniDocavia #5).
I have found the explanation on the Web (see below) :) : first a canard project with fix-wing, then a version intended for production, without foreplanes anymore, but with Variable-dihedral wingtips (N.A. B-70-like).
(In Czech, tripohledovy nakres means 3-view drawings, I don't know for the rest)

Tophe

Quotetoo far ahead of its time!! Wes W.
:wub:  Yes, a program of 1951 (when the F-86 was the standard), cancelled in 1957... while it seems still ahead of our time... :)  

elmayerle

Tophe, I'm curious why you went to a Czech source when one of the best online references is French?  Here's the first of two entries on the F-108.  If you step up one level, this shows a wide variety of info available.  Stepping up one level further, the top page shows the other very interesting areas on this website.  Along with True Supersonics, this is a most useful reference site.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

QuoteTophe, I'm curious why you went to a Czech source when one of the best online references is French?  
Sorry, I jumped on the first canard result from Google search... Your one is far better, you are right. :)  

nev

the phrase "missile with a man in it" springs to mind  :D  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Martin H

Love it,

now i know what markings not to do my example in (avoids clashes) when i get around to building it
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

elmayerle

Ver nice job indeed.  The Anigrand kit appears to be the 6X AIM-4/AIM-26 weapons load.  I think I may build my KPR 1/72 vac-form as the one with 2X AIM-4/AIM-26 and 2X AIM-47, much as the Collectaire 1/48 kit is.  *G* I'm tempted to model an aircraft of the 111th FIS, circa 1970.  They were flying the F-102 then, so this would be equally plausible, and they were my "local" unit at the time.

tigercat2

Is the KPR kit you have the one produced by Ken Rymal years ago?  I recall reading in Scale Aircraft Modeler that he built and produced 1/72 vacuforms in the 1980s of the "missing" Century Series.  

The Anigrand kits are great - my first resin kits ever and they came out a little rough, but a good learning experience.

Have the F8U-3 on order now from Anigrand, as well as the XB-51 - the folks at Anigrand are real "What if" people as well.  

I just watched a tape of the movie "Toward the Unknown" with the XB-51 playing the roll of the "Gilbert XF-120" - some outstanding flying scenes at Edwards in the mid-50s.

Wes W.

elmayerle

QuoteIs the KPR kit you have the one produced by Ken Rymal years ago?  I recall reading in Scale Aircraft Modeler that he built and produced 1/72 vacuforms in the 1980s of the "missing" Century Series.  

The Anigrand kits are great - my first resin kits ever and they came out a little rough, but a good learning experience.

Have the F8U-3 on order now from Anigrand, as well as the XB-51 - the folks at Anigrand are real "What if" people as well.  

I just watched a tape of the movie "Toward the Unknown" with the XB-51 playing the roll of the "Gilbert XF-120" - some outstanding flying scenes at Edwards in the mid-50s.

Wes W.
Yep, it is.  I have several of his kits in my stash.  They were mostly bought when they first became available "back in the day".  I've got the articles on 'em, too.

I've got the Anigrand Yak-141 kit and I intend to buy a lot more from them as money allows.  You know that movie wasn't the only one the XB-51 had a role in.  It depicted a USAF courier plane in George Pal's "War of the Worlds".

tigercat2

I was unaware that the XB-51 was in War of the Worlds.  I saw it recenly, and thought I remembered a North American B-45 depicted as the courier aircraft.  

Have to check it out the next time its on TV.

Wes W.