Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk - RAN

Started by zenrat, February 22, 2017, 12:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

When I finished my RAN Banshee it struck me that I had a Sea Hawk in the stash which given the similarity (straight wing, single seat naval jet) would make an ideal first build for what I had been thinking of as the Big Brother programme.
So here's the Banshee's Little Sister.  Same paint (almost - it's a custom mix and I didn't use as much blue), same decals and same weapons load.
Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The kit is the erstwhile Airfix offering built completely OOB apart from aluminium tube exhausts and SNEBs from a Hasegawa Harrier.  It all went together well but I really should have knocked up some thinner undercarriage doors.

Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

They make a good pairing there Fred.  :thumbsup:

Both of them are well at the good end of the 'prettiness' scale for aircraft of the period.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Nice one. The SNEB pods add a little extra interest  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Considering that's the Airfix kit then 10/10 :thumbsup: Very nice couple with as usual excellent finish. Nothing better than SNEBs :wub:

monkeyhanger

Very nice. I'm currently doing some adventurous Sea Hawk Whifs. I like the wing tip tanks.
If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

KiwiZac

Top work Fred, the Seahawk is a stunner! Superbly finished! It looks right at home with the Banshee and in those colours.

...one teeeeeeeeny rivet-counter issue though: traditionally, on the wings the 'roos have their feet pointing at the fuselage.  :thumbsup:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Glenn Gilbertson

zenrat

Thanks folks.
The tip tanks are the underwing tanks from the kit.
Having built one of these as a youth (gloss humbrol grey over white with the german markings IIRC) this was a dirt cheap impulse purchase to relive those days.

Zac - I know that, but I prefer them the other way round as the RW way just looks wrong to me.  I suspect the reason for that alignment may be so that they are not upside down when the wings are folded (anyone know?).  But as I never build carrier aircraft with folded wings that won't be a problem.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Why don't they align the Roos so the feet face backwards?

Then it would look the same if the wings were folded or deployed?

I must admit to getting some Norwegian AF decals on the wrong way round on an RF-5 once. It just didn't seem logical that the tri-oundals would be aligned base forwards, but they are.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Great looking pair! :thumbsup:
The Seahawk and the P-80 are my favorite straight winged jets and that scheme looks good on anything... BTW, how about doing that on the F-4 Phantom? :wacko:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2017, 04:54:50 AM
It just didn't seem logical that the tri-oundals would be aligned base forwards, but they are.  :banghead:

My brain worked the same way once. I actually went and dug some photographs out in a book in the library (way before the internet) to confirm that the instructions hadn't got it wrong  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 23, 2017, 07:00:57 AM
It just didn't seem logical that the tri-oundals would be aligned base forwards, but they are.  :banghead:

My brain worked the same way once. I actually went and dug some photographs out in a book in the library (way before the internet) to confirm that the instructions hadn't got it wrong  :angel:

Instructions???

WHAT instructions?  :o ;)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 23, 2017, 07:27:42 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 23, 2017, 07:00:57 AM

Instructions???

WHAT instructions?  :o ;)

I was young Kit.  ;D

KiwiZac

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2017, 11:22:54 PMZac - I know that, but I prefer them the other way round as the RW way just looks wrong to me. 
After posting I realised it was a stupid thing to say on a WhIf forum! And exactly, whatever works for you is what's important.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!