MiG 27z - NATO reporting name Flogfoot - Finished pics pg 6

Started by zenrat, February 23, 2017, 12:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

MiG 27z: NATO Reporting name Flogfoot

Flogfoot 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Originally designed as a stopgap measure to fill a need while the Su 25 was developed, the MiG 27z ended up remaining in service alongside the aircraft it was intended to be replaced by.
It was basically a MiG 27 with the heavy and complex variable geometry mechanism removed and swept wings with many hardpoints fitted.
Flogfoot 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Flogfoot 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Faster and capable of carrying a heavier offensive load than the Grach the MiG only lost out in the survivability stakes where its single engine made it more vulnerable to ground fire than the twin engined Sukhoi.
Flogfoot 15 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Flogfoot 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The aircraft pictured was part of an "advisory" detachment to Eastern Syria during the late 1980's.
Flogfoot 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model
Academy 1/72 MiG 27 Flogger D with the wings from a (Chinese knock off) Matchbox Mystere IVA.
Weapons from a variety of sources including ICM Soviet Weapons sets, Academy A-37 Dragonfly and the MiG kit itself.
Camo scheme is based on that used by Chad on its Frogfoots.
Decals are those from the MiG kit.
Flogfoot 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AXU

Dizzyfugu

I like the top view/shape of this one a lot, like a Su-25/MiG-27 hybrid with the best from both concepts. I am just not certain about the stabilizer, so close to the fuselage? It looks a bit squashed, maybe a true T-tail would have been a better option? Nevertheless, glorious result, I like it a lot.  :thumbsup:

Snowtrooper

Not a whif but "should've been". Love the maximum loadout and the camo came out pretty well :thumbsup:

Gondor

I am so going to copy this idea with maybe a little refinement here and there

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DogfighterZen

:o What a loadout! That looks great, like the camo a lot! :bow: :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks folks.
Dizz - agree re the horizontal tails but they fitted so well onto the braking chute (?) bulge.  Longer would have been nicer but I didn't have anything suitable.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

comrade harps

Whatever.

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks magnificent - a beautifully modelled "could have been"! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Fred

Old Wombat

Is done! Is good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Load-out is as spectacular as the camo! :wub:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est