Gotta love Japan

Started by strobez, March 13, 2017, 01:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

I just got back after a few days in Tokyo and I have to say what a joy it was combing through the random stacks of ancient kits at the Leonardo set of stores in Akihabara.  I found a couple of interesting kits (including a couple of iterations of the old Airfix 1/72 Fiat G.91R), but what made it so fantastic was digging through the "bits 'n pieces" boxes of random sprues.  What a whiffer's dream come true... partial fuselages, wing sets, and general odds n' ends goodness.

For someone who doesn't count rivets, it was amazing fun to grab some random airplane parts, simply on the "I bet I could use this for something interesting" factor, all for a few bucks.

I think we all have copious amounts of these sorts of things in our spares bins, but this was the first time I've felt like I could rifle through someone else's and pick out whatever I liked (as long as I paid for it of course!).

All in all it was fun, so I thought I'd share.  <_<
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Random sprues selection sounds perfect for the likes of us.
What do they charge for them?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I can't think of any dealers in the UK who do that.

I wonder if they're missing a trick there, hmmmmmm....?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

There was actually quite a selection of reasonably priced 2nd hand kits, ranging from just missing boxes, to missing some bits, to just plain bags of sprues, to a selection of fuselages/wings.

Here's my haul... I think paid a grand total of ¥300 (about $3).... including ¥50 for a random spare canopy.

Part of the fun was the search just to see what was in the various plastic bags.  Here's a video (not mine): https://youtu.be/lqRWk2svDSY
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

I should mention that other than the Hasegawa Corsair (2 fuselage halves, top/bottom wings and two stabilizers) I have no real idea which kits the rest of these came from.
Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2017, 02:30:07 AM

I seem to recall a Japanese modeller on the Starship Modeler site who said he could get excess & seconds sprues direct from several manufacturers in Japan for a very modest amount.

That was about 6 or 7 years ago, though. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Bit like Eduard selling off their oversprues (is that a word ?) at Telford. New Spitfire sprues boxed but no transfers or instructions. Really good price, picked up a couple
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 13, 2017, 06:06:03 AM

I seem to recall a Japanese modeller on the Starship Modeler site who said he could get excess & seconds sprues direct from several manufacturers in Japan for a very modest amount.

That was about 6 or 7 years ago, though. :-\

I know who are talking about and he actually sent me a box of random stuff awhile back. A lot of it is sprues that are not quite right but who cares at pennies a sprue. Kind of like the model kit outlet mall.
His wife gets after him if he buys too much at a time.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Maybe some of the shops could sell off their damaged or incomplete kits/bits that way?
I don't know what they do with them, once they've gotten a credit from the agent - or if they even work that way - but if they have to go back to the warehouse, maybe the warehouse could do something similar?

Worth an ask maybe, if anyone has a contact in the industry?

kerick

I think many are industry rejects and they sell them in Japan for a few bucks to get a little money back on it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Quote from: strobez on March 13, 2017, 04:57:33 AM
...Here's a video (not mine): https://youtu.be/lqRWk2svDSY

It's Whiffer heaven.  Want a new project?  just go down, have a rummage and grab wings, fuselage, engines, filler, sandpaper, more sandpaper, extra filler...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

There's somebody who breaks kits up and sells the bits on ebay for around £2.50 a sprue, which must be handy if you've got an faulty kit or you've screwed a part up beyond repair. The trouble is, he doesn't do it in a particularly logical fashion. For instance, I noticed the other day that he was selling the Airfix Sabre lower wings for £2.50, but that the upper wings would cost you another £2.50. It's very unlikely that a buyer wouldn't want both, but at £5 for half the kit, you might as well spend £7-10 for a whole kit and sell the spares yourself...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Before it closed because the owner died suddenly, the LMS I used to frequent used to have a couple of boxes of stuff on the floor like that. Many a time I rumaged through them and found ( and bought) interesting items from whole kits to sprues.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Wow that would be fun ! Lots of useable bits there for dirt cheap....and to think of how many times a kit has been neutered for that one whiffy bit....this way is excellent !

Reminds me that I need to hit Dean's in MI again, have a dig

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Doug K

Love Akihabera, been too long since my last trip