ASF-X Shinden II - Warwolf on the warpath.

Started by seadude, March 16, 2017, 04:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Making some progress, but it is slow going. Tried to use that yellow Tamiya masking tape on some parts to get straight lines, but it didn't work out too well when I lifted the tape after the paint had thoroughly dried. The tape had pulled some of the paint off as well.  :banghead: You can see that in one of the pics below.
First two pics below show the approximate color scheme I will be using on the Shinden based on the Warwolf aircraft scheme from the first pic in my first post of this thread. Aircraft is mostly dark gray which I will use Testor Euro 1 Gray for. Leading edges, intakes, nose, and a few other spots will be Testor Light Gray. There will be some black colored areas, but not much.
The inside of the landing gear doors as well as the gear bays will have a very unique color. If you look very closely at that art picture in my very first post, you'll see that the inside of the aft gear door is a greenish color with white outer edges. I'm doing the same thing to the insides of all my gear doors that you can see in a picture further below. The interior of the landing gear bays will also be painted this same greenish color.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Still more slow progress. Items that are fully done are:
All landing gear bay doors painted.
All wheels painted.
2D engine nozzles painted.
Intake inlets on either side of cockpit are painted and attached.
Intake inlet on top of upper fuselage painted and attached. (Compressor fan blades painted silver and were attached inside. Interior of intake was painted Light Ghost Gray.)
Rear vertical stabilizers fully painted.
Parts C1, C2, C12, and C13 wingtips are fully painted.
Parts C4 and C5 canards are fully painted.
Cockpit instrument panel and ejection seat assembled and both painted.
All weapon pylons and racks are painted.

Still have to do a bit more painting and detailing for the cockpit area. I won't assemble the upper and lower fuselage halves yet till I can get some small syringe needles or other tiny metal tubing to put inside the upper fuselage where the hole opening for the gun cannon is located on the left side of the cockpit. I need to put some sort of tubing inside that hole to simulate a cannon otherwise some JMN is gonna cry foul. Trust me. The hole is really big and something needs to fill the space. I can't have it empty.

Anyway, here's some in-progress pics as well as pics of the instruction sheet if people want to learn more about this kit.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Been a long time since I posted.  :o Anyway, I decided to get back to work on this project because some "other issues" had forced me to.  :banghead: I should have some new pictures probably this weekend.  :thumbsup: Until then, Please Stand By........

seadude

FINISHED!  :drink:  A few notes first about the build:

a) The instruction sheet left something to be desired.  :banghead: Not all decals were called out on the sheet which left me wondering where the hell do they go?  :-\ And not all decals were used or needed on the aircraft.
b) The HUD has a slight green tint to it. It was dipped in Future that had green food coloring added to it. I like this better than having a plain clear HUD from the sprue.
c) I screwed up badly on the right side of the canopy.  :banghead: I'm not saying any more. You'll see it in the pics.
d) I know, the jet intake decals are pointing the wrong way. I didn't realise this until much too late.  :banghead:
e) Instead of 3 AMRAAM missiles under each wing, I decided to have 2 AMRAAMS, plus a shorter range white colored missile.
f) Although the ASF-X Shinden II is primarily a JASDF aircraft in the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon game, I decided to whif it for use by the USAF Warwolf Squadron instead.
g) Although it is barely noticeable, the cockpit instrument screens were "colored" with a drop of Future that was colored with green food coloring.
h) Overall color is Testor Model Master Acryl Euro 1 Grey w/ Testor Light Grey nose, wing leading edges, and other areas.
j) Model has been painted slightly similar to the artwork shown in the opening post back on Page 1 of this thread.
k) Anything else you want to know, just ask. ;)

seadude

Old Wombat

Looks great, to me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Certainly couldn't see any obvious flaws on the canopy. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

darthspud2

nice, might almost tempt me to the darker bit of the darkside.
What happened to the triple launchers you mentioned in earlier posts?
I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!

TheChronicOne

Cool!!!! I ain't seen one of these built up yet so this is a treat, especially with the WHIF treatment. I also have this kit (just recently was seduced into buying it in fact lol )  but I plan on making it OOB so it's nice to see a different take.

Good work!!
-Sprues McDuck-

seadude

Quote from: darthspud2 on September 08, 2017, 02:00:29 AM
nice, might almost tempt me to the darker bit of the darkside.
What happened to the triple launchers you mentioned in earlier posts?

Didn't work out as planned. :( As the old saying goes: "Sometimes the best laid plans go awry."

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 08, 2017, 03:03:02 AM
Cool!!!! I ain't seen one of these built up yet so this is a treat, especially with the WHIF treatment. I also have this kit (just recently was seduced into buying it in fact lol )  but I plan on making it OOB so it's nice to see a different take.

Good work!!

OOB?  :o No, no, no. Whif forum you are on. So whif the kit you must. Yes? Listen to Master Yoda. Whif or whif not. There is no OOB. ;D

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

Now that looks very nice. I have been thinking about dragging mine out of the stash and building it next, and seeing yours in all its splendour may just have prodded me to build it. I want to do mine in U.S Marine corps colours and markings as a what if  they didn't get the F-35??
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

comrade harps

Nice work  :wub:

I always thought that kit could be whiffed-up as an Iranian mock-up of their latest stealth fighter program.
Whatever.