YF-23 Black Widow - FINISHED!

Started by DogfighterZen, March 19, 2017, 07:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 14, 2017, 08:04:00 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 14, 2017, 05:56:18 AM

Man, can't have too many F-16s......

Oh yes you can, one would be too many for me! I really detest the spikey things!  :banghead:

But they make good donors for weird shaped bits for other models though.  :thumbsup:

Spikey...     ;D ;D ;D     First time I heard that description.  I know I sure wouldn't want to step on a little metal (or even plastic! )toy one.  :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 14, 2017, 09:28:30 AM

Oh yes you can, one would be too many for me! I really detest the spikey things!  :banghead:

But they make good donors for weird shaped bits for other models though.  :thumbsup:

Spikey...     ;D ;D ;D     First time I heard that description.  I know I sure wouldn't want to step on a little metal (or even plastic! )toy one.  :o ;D

;D I could have a room filled with Vipers and i'd still want more... :wacko:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 14, 2017, 10:10:36 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 14, 2017, 09:28:30 AM

;D I could have a room filled with Vipers and i'd still want more... :wacko:

That's fine by me, you can have any that come my way by accident.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D

I love 'em. I already have like... Oh I dunno... in my meager stash probably 5-6 yet IDEAS for them outnumber that by a bit. . . .but point being, I have enough to last me a good while but I still be on the look out for more.  :wacko: :wacko:   Price is right, I'm going to snap 'em up.  ;D

Some plans include:

US Army F-16 (modern day... as if it were painted like a piece of armor or some generic transport. "US ARMY"  On it.....  single color green.... white star....   

US Army F-16: Pre-war colors.... glorious blue and yellow, red and white fin flash and the wagon wheel roundels.

WWII Era Blue Nose Mustang F-16. . . ..   NMF and all the coloring and decals from a Blue Nose P 51  (will turn around and slap the F-16 stuff on the Mustang and make it the two color grey)

Then a whole SLEW of 'em done "how they're supposed to be." Various test planes and prototypes and the like. Some of the neat stuff like the US Navy ones.

etc.

EDIT: Oh and then there are the loosely associated cousins like F-2A and the Korean trainer plane that looks like one, etc. 
-Sprues McDuck-

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 14, 2017, 10:10:36 AM
<...> ;D I could have a room filled with Vipers and i'd still want more... :wacko:

Good man!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 14, 2017, 10:29:42 AM
That's fine by me, you can have any that come my way by accident.  ;D

;D :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 14, 2017, 11:02:05 AM
;D ;D ;D

I love 'em. I already have like... Oh I dunno... in my meager stash probably 5-6 yet IDEAS for them outnumber that by a bit. . . .but point being, I have enough to last me a good while but I still be on the look out for more.  :wacko: :wacko:   Price is right, I'm going to snap 'em up.  ;D

Some plans include:

US Army F-16 (modern day... as if it were painted like a piece of armor or some generic transport. "US ARMY"  On it.....  single color green.... white star....   

US Army F-16: Pre-war colors.... glorious blue and yellow, red and white fin flash and the wagon wheel roundels.

WWII Era Blue Nose Mustang F-16. . . ..   NMF and all the coloring and decals from a Blue Nose P 51  (will turn around and slap the F-16 stuff on the Mustang and make it the two color grey)

Then a whole SLEW of 'em done "how they're supposed to be." Various test planes and prototypes and the like. Some of the neat stuff like the US Navy ones.

etc.

EDIT: Oh and then there are the loosely associated cousins like F-2A and the Korean trainer plane that looks like one, etc. 

Interesting ideas there, i've got a few ideas but still trying to decide between a real one or whif...  :rolleyes:
Re the YF-23, i'm starting the sanding today...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Snowtrooper

;D ;D ;D

Some plans include:

etc.

Vipers in my plans, with most of the kits already in The Stash, but the problem, as always is getting anything finished, or rather, even started:
A-16A Prairie Falcon (European One camo, GPU-5 centreline pod)
F-16E Gyrfalcon (aka XL) in USAFE markings
F-16EI Gyrfalcon in Israeli markings with CFT's and Israeli ordnance and extra lumps and bumps around the nose
F-16V (going to use a D Block 52+) in VPAF markings and "snake" scheme, loaded with cluster bombs in case "a" northern neighbour decides to roll tanks across the border (less whiffy than you think, IIRC Vietnam has been offered a deal where early-block C airframes from the Boneyard would be free, only the refurbishing and upgrades to modern standards would cost, and Lockheed is at least in advertising materials calling future refits of previous Vipers "F-16V")
F-16A ROCAF, in SEA scheme with older weaponry like M117 iron bombs, LAU rocket pods, Vietnam-era ECM and early 'Winders, suppose these were sold in late 70's/early 80's
F-16A AdA with French ordnance (from the Heller weapons set), suppose Mirage 2000 was delayed indefinitely until cancelled in favour of Rafale, and F-16's were purchased as an interim measure
"Diana Collection": Various Dianas of 312 Squadron KLu, "Dirty" Yellow 50th anniversary F-16A, "Dirty" Blue 50th anniversary F-16A, 60th anniversary "Summer" F-16B, 60th anniversary "Winter" F-16A MLU, 65th anniversary F-16A MLU. One option I've been thinking of is actually putting the 60th anniversary ones on a F-15 instead, since twin fins allow for two versions of tail art and would require one less F-16 ;D

TheChronicOne

Well alright!!  Sounds good.. I really like the sounds of the Vietnam stuff and the anniversary stuff sounds cool because those types are always nicely decorated.

-Sprues McDuck-

Charlie_c67

Quote from: Snowtrooper on August 15, 2017, 01:43:05 PM
;D ;D ;D

Some plans include:

etc.

Vipers in my plans, with most of the kits already in The Stash, but the problem, as always is getting anything finished, or rather, even started:
A-16A Prairie Falcon (European One camo, GPU-5 centreline pod)
F-16E Gyrfalcon (aka XL) in USAFE markings
F-16EI Gyrfalcon in Israeli markings with CFT's and Israeli ordnance and extra lumps and bumps around the nose
F-16V (going to use a D Block 52+) in VPAF markings and "snake" scheme, loaded with cluster bombs in case "a" northern neighbour decides to roll tanks across the border (less whiffy than you think, IIRC Vietnam has been offered a deal where early-block C airframes from the Boneyard would be free, only the refurbishing and upgrades to modern standards would cost, and Lockheed is at least in advertising materials calling future refits of previous Vipers "F-16V")
F-16A ROCAF, in SEA scheme with older weaponry like M117 iron bombs, LAU rocket pods, Vietnam-era ECM and early 'Winders, suppose these were sold in late 70's/early 80's
F-16A AdA with French ordnance (from the Heller weapons set), suppose Mirage 2000 was delayed indefinitely until cancelled in favour of Rafale, and F-16's were purchased as an interim measure
"Diana Collection": Various Dianas of 312 Squadron KLu, "Dirty" Yellow 50th anniversary F-16A, "Dirty" Blue 50th anniversary F-16A, 60th anniversary "Summer" F-16B, 60th anniversary "Winter" F-16A MLU, 65th anniversary F-16A MLU. One option I've been thinking of is actually putting the 60th anniversary ones on a F-15 instead, since twin fins allow for two versions of tail art and would require one less F-16 ;D

Meanwhile I've got the British/Commonwealth branch to work on ;)
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

DogfighterZen

Ok, had to wait for my vacation to get this build going again... PSR is almost over... all the putty, which wasn't that much in quantity, has been sanded off. This model is taking up quite a few hours just to get it all smooth... still, some areas will be a bit rough anyway but nothing too bad, i hope.
The cockpit is finished and the windscreen is glued on as is the HUD on top of the instrument panel, just gave it a bit of XF-69 nato black on the sides to represent the HUD's framing structure.
The windscreen had a good fit but left a small step to the fuselage around it...

I thought it would look better with no step and as i wanted to make the tip of the radome a bit sharper, i glue the windscreen on and sanded the whole nose section smooth...

I've started adding the last mods before painting, just a few heat reduction plates around the lower nozzle paddles to integrate them a bit more into the fuselage...

Still some work to do but it's going in the right direction now. Let's see if i can get it finished before i finish my vacation...

:cheers:

DogfighterZen

Finished the exhaust's heat reduction plates, just some light sanding after the glue dries and it's ready for paint!

:cheers:

TheChronicOne

Damn, dude!! Those turned out really well.  :o

Just cutting the stuff, with the thin part, had to have been a bit maddening.  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

jalles

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 24, 2017, 05:05:00 PM
Damn, dude!! Those turned out really well.  :o

I agree, that's looking excellent.  I'll probably say this a few more times before you're done, but I can't wait to see this finished.

DogfighterZen

Thanks, guys. Glad to know you like the work. :thumbsup:
It's 7.30AM and i'm already sitting at the bench... gotta love vacation... :mellow: