Planes in Strange Places

Started by TheChronicOne, March 25, 2017, 11:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 11, 2018, 03:46:16 AM
  ;D

WHAAAT???   :o

That was an F-102, but what's with the weird cockpit?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Looks like it was once a TF-102...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on January 11, 2018, 04:40:22 PM

Nothing like a TF-102 Brian (says me who's got a conversion that just happens to be on the workbench). The TF-102 cockpit was really huge, has to be at least twice as wide as a Lightning T.4 cockpit.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2018, 06:19:22 PM

Nothing like a TF-102 Brian (says me who's got a conversion that just happens to be on the workbench). The TF-102 cockpit was really huge, has to be at least twice as wide as a Lightning T.4 cockpit.

Oh, I didn't mean it was identical to a TF-102.   What I meant was that it looks like it started out as a TF-102 and got "modded".   The fuselage looks like it was once meant to be a two seater and it's had a new canopy added to it to make it a single-seater again.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TheChronicOne

It looks really cool!! I imagine this self-created cockpit and canopy bits here were done out of necessity (lack of having orignal, short on funds to get one, just finding one at all) rather than "oh this looks right, let's go with this!"  ;D ;D ;D 

I'd imagine that it might even be accessible from inside the building and could even be opened up and the pilot guy taken out and then it would let light into the room.  ;D

Anyway ya slice it, its am impressive bit of craftsmanship to do all that and not compromise the weather resistance of the building. If I tried it, it would just be a fish tank glued to where the cockpit should be "Hey, it's glass and in more than two dimensions, SCORE!" and it would leak like a sieve.  :laugh: :tornado:
-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

Quote from: rickshaw on January 12, 2018, 12:08:47 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on January 11, 2018, 06:19:22 PM

Oh, I didn't mean it was identical to a TF-102.   What I meant was that it looks like it started out as a TF-102 and got "modded".   The fuselage looks like it was once meant to be a two seater and it's had a new canopy added to it to make it a single-seater again.

Agree the rear of the cockpit and intakes look like a TF-102.  Likely the "canopy" is cheap window panes and frames to look the part, with flat panels much easier to fabricate than a complex curved shape.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

I'd fit a toilet there so I could sit and gaze out at the world through the cockpit while taking a...well, you get my drift.

What happened to the original nose though?  Maybe they got the plane cheap because the front had been cut off for one of those slightly disappointing cockpit only displays they like in museums with limited space.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

Glazing and frame do look a little home made. What about the nose?

AS.12

Even more oddly, the real FC-392 55-3392 was supplied to Turkey in 1969...

Looking at the fuselage in that photo it appears to be based on a cone extending from the tail forwards, rather than the genuine area-ruled F-102 fuselage.  Hence the discussion about 'is it a TF' since the fuselage is so wide near the cockpit.  The intakes are also much too small.  I think the whole thing is a mock-up.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2018, 07:57:43 PM
I'd fit a toilet there so I could sit and gaze out at the world through the cockpit while taking a...well, you get my drift.

You might get something else as you passed underneath as well ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

IMHO, it is too small to be a real F-102 (I'm comparing the size of it with the building windows etc). I'm presently working on something which will utilize an TF-102 cockpit and it's enormous, at least twice the size of a Lightning T.4 cockpit ( which I also have in numerous copies). But when the conversion is set next to a F-102 (which I also have) it doesn't look big at all. What I'm saying is the F-102 is a 'very' large aircraft

sandiego89

Quote from: AS.12 on January 13, 2018, 01:23:32 AM

.......I think the whole thing is a mock-up.

Upon further review, think you are correct.  Except for the canopy, not too shabby and a real eye catcher for the business.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 13, 2018, 10:11:30 AM
Quote from: AS.12 on January 13, 2018, 01:23:32 AM

.......I think the whole thing is a mock-up.

Except for the canopy, not too shabby and a real eye catcher for the business.   

Um, it's totally wrong mate!  It should have a sharp ridge right down the center

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/317th_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_Convair_F-102A-75-CO_Delta_Dagger_56-1279.png

jcf

Serigrafika PubblicitĂ , graphics and screenprint business in Sassari, Italy.

Different pics on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/serigrafikapubblicita/