Main Menu

Planes in Strange Places

Started by TheChronicOne, March 25, 2017, 11:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Whilst coming back from an interview in Dover, DE, spotted this "billboard" for a haunted attraction called "Frightland:

(Neither are mine, I was stuck in traffic on US-13 when I spotted it)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Spey_Phantom

in Wetteren, near Ghent in Belgium, an old Boeing 707 of the Benin governement, is placed on display on the roof of an Expo hall.
i saw it from the train on one of my previous trips with the missus. there's also an old ex-Belgian AF T-33 parked near it.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Interesting scheme on that 707.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

A gliding club isn't an unusual place to find an old aircraft, but the way its used is.  This is The Phoenix, an old Shorts 330 fuselage that is used as the club house at the Wolds Gliding Club, Pocklington, close to York.  It's fitted with wheels and a tow bar so it can be taken to which ever side of the airfield they're using.

I took a flight there once and had my briefing in it.  I asked how it had come to be but the reason had seemed to be lost to the newer members.

Image borrowed from Airliners.net:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

That beats my gliding club's double decker bus hands down. It looks superb too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Reminds me of the Handley Page HP.42 that suffered a bad landing and was partly scrapped. Her front fuselage was used as an office by the Royal Navy for some years afterwards!

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

Al this reminds me of the Hamilcar glider that's in the Army Aviation Museum at Middle Wallop.

It was thought the type was extinct until someone recognised this one being used as a garden shed by the archetypal 'little old lady'!  :o

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 22, 2017, 12:51:00 PM
Al this reminds me of the Hamilcar glider that's in the Army Aviation Museum at Middle Wallop.

It was thought the type was extinct until someone recognised this one being used as a garden shed by the archetypal 'little old lady'!  :o

The Halifax bomber at Yorkshire Air Museum was built out of several aircraft. The first major part was the fuselage being used as a chicken coop on the Isle of Lewis.

Newark Air Museum have a 'Lancaster Corner' all about that venerable bomber including a fuselage section that was used as a garden shed! http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Lancaster-Corner

rickshaw

There used to be, once upon a time, an Avro 707 (a miniature Vulcan test bed) in a garden in Melbourne.  It was bought, when it was disposed of, by one of the scientists who worked on it downunder.   When he died, he willed it to the RAAF, in 1999.  He had been using it as a garden gazebo.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on December 24, 2017, 06:37:40 PM

That's WD280, the first 707A, which did the research for the Vulcan's 'non-straight' leading edge, and it's at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook now. A lovely looking aeroplane, somehow it looks less 'brutal' than a Vulcan does.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I shall inspect it and take photos when I visit there in January.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

That 707 would make a good what if fighter project that either did get into service, or was a plane that never flew. Maybe an alternative to the Javelin.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on December 26, 2017, 08:22:41 AM

That 707 would make a good what if fighter project that either did get into service, or was a plane that never flew.
Maybe an alternative to the Javelin.

Hmm, I have a Maintrack X-Planes vacform kit of the two seater 707C in The Loft............  ;)

It's quite a lot smaller than a Javelin though, the wing's more FD2 size.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-