Gerry Anderson Carrier Query

Started by Cobra, March 26, 2017, 04:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Have You ever seen something at a Hobby Shop that Made You Think,"That Would Work Great For a Project." :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: i Recently Bought a Tamiya Air craft carrier Set with 1/350 Air Craft and thought that it Might Work for a Gerry Anderson Style Carrier. However,the Air Craft are:F-4s Phantom,E-2C Hawkeye, Sea King Helicopter,and EA-6B Prowler. Would those Aircraft Work for Something Like a Fast Strike Carrier? I'm Thinking that or Something like the USN Sentinel. What Say You? Thanks For Looking. Dan

sandiego89

If you are going with a "Andersonesque" like appearance, his aircraft often look fast, angular and mean- and the Hawkeye, Prowler and Sea King do not really conjure up that image.  There are plenty of other aircraft in 1/350 that would be better to start with: F-14, F/A-18, Yak-141, Su-27....  The Phantom would likely look fine- plenty of interesting angles....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

dadlamassu

Rick Lowe

That's a cool reference picture, useful if you wanted to model some of the aircraft.

Leading Observer

The Zombite Attack Fighter definitely has a French look about it
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

sandiego89

I clearly see lots of F-104's fuselages in there, with a spattering of Mirages and Draken inspirations, the "Wombat" with F-101 wings, the air sea rescue with F-100 wings perhaps, and the Wasp with F-5 bits
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

chrisonord

When I first looked at that picture, I thought I was looking at Anigrand's online catalogue.  ;D
Nice ideas there though.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Cobra

Guys,I've been Doing some Thinking and Want to Know, are There Any Suggestions for Designing an Aircraft Carrier Island? I'm Not sure So i Thought I'd ask. what Say You? Thanks For Looking. Dan

Mossie

Revells 1/1200 AIDA cruise ship might work for the bridge section of the island.  It's cheap enough to be bought for kitbash fodder, chop the superstructure off and shorten it.  For the rest of the island you could build it up with plastic card, or use various small plastic containers to provide box like structures, cut down to size.

As Sandiego mentions, the F-104 was a Gerry Anderson kibash staple but is hard to find in 1/350 (Shapeways do them).  The legacy hornet is easy to find in that scale, shave off the lerx and stick the Prowler's or Phantom's wings on it, cut down slightly if you wish.

The Sea King would make a good basis for a helijet, cut off the tail and sand the rear fuselage, use some larger scale missiles sanded to shape for lift pods.  You could do similar using the Hawkeye fuselage, remove the wings, use a bit of shaped sprue on the top similar to a Chinooks/Sea Knights rotor fairings.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.