2017/2018 Group Build Schedule and Poll - Provisional

Started by NARSES2, April 03, 2017, 06:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right it's that time of year again when we need to start thinking about the forthcoming Group Build Season.

The current G.B. finishes at the end of April which means that given the inevitable extension we will be looking at wrapping it up towards the end of May. So the first G.B. of the 2017/2018 season will be, as tradition dictates, The One Week Build and I will look to get that kicked off sometime at the end of May/early June.

After that we will follow with three GB's spread throughout the year, provisionally scheduled July/Sept : Nov/Jan : Mar/May. So we need to conduct the GB Poll in order to decide what those three GB's will be.

Now I kept a list of those subjects which weren't successfull last year and they will automatically be entered into this years Poll. I now need your suggestions for what will join them in the Poll.

The Poll will be held in two weeks time at the end of April and will last for 10/14 days, so you have until then to get your suggestions in. I will keep reminding you  ;)

The subjects already to be included in this years poll are :

Sci-Fi ; Africarama ; Captured in a War ; Vice/Versa ; Bad Idea ; Helicopter/convertiplane ; Future Combat ; From or inspired by the profiles ; Make it Faster ! ; Spirit of 67 ; Anniversary GB ; The Empire Survives ; Eye in the Sky ; Sky Pirates ; Ace Combat ; Bi Plane GB ; No Vehicles : Paint Shop in a Time Warp ; The Lets be Different GB ; Emergency vehicles/Firefighting ; Gerry Anderson/Super Comics Hero's/Villains ; Creative Junk ; Snap Fit.

So that's the ones that lost out last year, just throw out your ideas and they will go forward into this years Poll.

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Thanks so much Chris- glad you kept some of the prior nominations- I have my favorites already!

Two more to throw out:

- Six- the numeral six must figure into the build in a significant way....
- Icon.  Build something that is the most iconic to a respective country or of it's class:  P-51, Lada, spit, Rolls Royce,  me-109, Titantic... 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

I've been making notes throughout the year as ideas come to me.
"Oh no!" they cry in dismay.

VTOL GB - possibly add to helicopter/convertiplane?  Would allow Harriers, Yak 38s, Tailsitters et al to compete.
Ornithoptor GB - allow in with choppers or keep separate?  I have long had a flapper planned and feel my insanity requires company.
Longer Wings GB - I know I can rely on at least one vote for this  ;D
Global Religious War GB - Inspired by Brad C's Vatican vs Vampires builds.  The Jihad Legion face the Churchtanks of the Lutheran Militia while overhead Buddhist bombers fight their way towards Rome.   And on the sidelines the massed forces of the Atheist Alliance wait their chance...
Subtle GB - Wooksta style whiffs.  Can you get it past an invited judging panel of eminent JMN, rivet counters and nit pickers?
Pirate GB - Not just Sky Pirates but all aspects of piracy be it on land or sea, in the air or in space.
Silly GB - Hard to judge what qualifies for entry (its hard to objectify silly) but could be very satisfying.
Secret Santa GB  - I have no idea what I was thinking with this one but I like the sound of it.  Suggestions to the usual address please.
Xmas GB - No explanation needed for this one I feel.
Primary colours everyday household object GB - AKA Eric's GB - Combine an everyday house hold object or toy or plant or plastic fruit with model parts and then paint it red, blue or yellow.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

All noted, and here's some suggestions from me. All self explanatory I think ?

Cold War - Not necessarily the one we always think of when the subject comes up.
Civilinise/militarise it
Test and Experimental
Beat the air into submission GB - VTOL and/or helicopter.
The 1946 GB
Ship, floaty thing GB
Air Racing GB
Pirate GB
Vive La France GB
Trainers with teeth GB
Flying boat, seaplane and amphibian GB

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: zenrat on April 04, 2017, 04:18:13 AM
Subtle GB - Wooksta style whiffs.  Can you get it past an invited judging panel of eminent JMN, rivet counters and nit pickers?

This.  Definitely gets my vote. :lol:
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Nah, who'd want to do something silly like that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Thanks for your work, Chris.
Lots of interesting ideas around.
I think the "subtle GB" should be done as an "external" GB: models presented at some IPMS convention or suchlike and the ones that aren't recognized as whifs by the JMNs win. ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

I'll add "from the shelf of doom" to the eventual Poll

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 04, 2017, 09:04:12 AM

Maybe it could be a "Change the Wings GB" for anyone out there with anti-Kit tendencies?  :o

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

I'm thinking of putting it in the poll as "longer/shorter/more/less" wings

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2017, 06:36:10 AM

Hysterical laughter going on here.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

"Modified Wings"  would allow for anything from a stub  winged U2 to an ultra high aspect ratio Starfighter and possibly even  an ornithopter , a delta winged  Lightning ,  a monoplane Camel     or even a swept wing jet powered Brabazon.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on April 06, 2017, 02:32:37 PM

"Modified Wings"  would allow for anything from a stub  winged U2 to an ultra high aspect ratio Starfighter and possibly even  an ornithopter , a delta winged  Lightning ,  a monoplane Camel     or even a swept wing jet powered Brabazon.

If we didn't know you'd been a teacher, we would now sir. Excellent correction of my rather clumsy and long winded English  :thumbsup: Thankyou "modifies wings" it will be.

Old Bert Royal would have me doing lines for sure  ;D There's some stories about me and "old" Bert, especially when he opened the bowling for the masters in the annual boys v masters cricket match  ;) :o

Rheged

Sorry, Chris, this pedant is revolting!  All I was trying to do was make this as wide a  build subject as possible.  That said, I'd like to see the ornithopter or the monoplane camel!  As to old Bert's bowling, the Grammar School equivalent in Carlisle was the staff sixth form football match. It never ever finished with the full 11 on each side, usually with a sixth former and a staff member attending A&E!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 04, 2017, 09:04:12 AM

Hmm! I'm interested  ----- I've actually got something in mind along the lines of a PR-19   ------  only Canadian style
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike