Group Build Rules - changes ?

Started by NARSES2, April 05, 2017, 06:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

A while ago I said I'd put this up for discussion and if necessary a vote, so he goes.

We have used the same basic G.B. rules for a while now and I'm not sure if they (4 and 5 in particular) need re-visiting ? At the time we were talking about the recent G.B.'s rules there was some discussion but I'm darned if I can remember now. I've had a quick look but my memory refuses to twig  :banghead:

So currently Rule 4 basically governs the amount of preparatory work which is allowed prior to the official opening of the G.B. Basically you are allowed to d some basic cleaning up and preparation of parts and that is it.

Rule 5 concerns part/pre started models and basically leaves it up to the G.B. Moderators to rule on this on an individual basis if necessary.

Now are we happy with these ? Do we have any proposed amendments to these or any other non G.B. specific rules ?

If we are happy with things as they are then I'm not pushing for change, I just want to be sure everyone is happy and comfortable with the current set of rules.

Thanks a lot.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

I am happy with the rules as they stand.   You need to clearly define what is and what is not allowed.  The rules as they stand do that.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TallEng

As a G.B is not a competition? why not allow part started kits and pre-preparation?
Sometimes life gets in the way, and G.B. Kits don't get finished, so maybe this would get a few more entries?
And allow/encourage people who wouldn't otherwise enter to do so?
Also maybe a few 'shelf of doom' kits would get finished?
that can't be a bad thing can it?
Just idle thoughts.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

sandiego89

I vote these rule 4 and 5 stay in place and stay as is- with only minimal work allowed, and the GB moderator getting to decide on what is allowed.  This seems to be in the spirt of a true GB.

I do see TallEngs point, but only to a certain degree.  If pushed it could lead to re-sprays of long completed kits or other dubious efforts. A few hours of work and ta-da!

A compromise could be one of the future GB's be a "clear the bench GB".  Subject must be @50 to 75% complete, with pre-pictures to prove it! Extra points for longest delay!  Bet we have some multi decade contenders out there.         
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Leading Observer

I am happy with everything except Rule 6, but I can't discuiss that here  :banghead:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 05, 2017, 02:43:54 PM

Bet we have some multi decade contenders out there.       

You're not kidding!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 05, 2017, 02:43:54 PM
A compromise could be one of the future GB's be a "clear the bench GB".  Subject must be @50 to 75% complete, with pre-pictures to prove it! Extra points for longest delay!  Bet we have some multi decade contenders out there.       

Rats - I knew I shouldn't have finished that Sea Dart!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

ChernayaAkula

I like TallEng's idea: if entering it in a GB can save a model from the Shelf of Doom, that'd be great.  :thumbsup: Okay, there'd be a couple fewer in-progress shots, but how many in-progress shots are shown has always been up to the builder anyway. And since the idea of a GB is to get people together to build something with a common theme, the more participation the better.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

BTS do a Clear Your Workbench GB around Christmas time which seems to suite most people. To avoid doing an exact copy, why not do a 'Second Chance' GB at the end of the year where any model entered in a GB but not finished, in say the previous two or three years, can be entered with the part-started rule waived?

As for rules 4 and 5, I think they're pretty much fine as they are. All I would say is that the amount of prep allowed in rule 4 should be the same as the amount of pre-started work allowed in rule 5, otherwise it creates a perverse incentive to pre-start everything....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Weaver on April 05, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
<...> the amount of prep allowed in rule 4 should be the same as the amount of pre-started work allowed in rule 5, otherwise it creates a perverse incentive to pre-start everything....

Okay, but why would I want to do that anyway? I mean, the GBs on this here site aren't contests. There are no prizes. It's basically for bragging rights only. So why would I want to "cheat"?

And if I wanted to cheat by getting a headstart, who'd stop me? I could simply post pics only once the GB had actually kicked off.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

That's a good point - and in order to set "our" GBs apart from dry competitions, I'd agree with a liberal application of rules and restrictions. IMHO, a whif is about the idea behind it and what the result conveys, and not necessarily minute detail or speed building. Reviving or using an old project might not be in the spririt of "serious" competitions, but here I find it highly acceptable - esp. when you have some mummies on the Shelf of Doom that wait either for the bin or a streak of inspiration. If we can save hardware through creativity, I support the idea and spririt.  :mellow:

zenrat

There's nothing to stop us digging out a mostly done but long abandoned build for completion in parallel with a GB.
Just don't post in the GB thread.
I browse the forum by hitting the show unread posts since last visit link and to be honest half the time I have no idea if what I am looking at is in a GB or not until I look at the details.  If I look at the details.

Keep everything as it is IMO.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 05, 2017, 10:50:53 PM
Quote from: Weaver on April 05, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
<...> the amount of prep allowed in rule 4 should be the same as the amount of pre-started work allowed in rule 5, otherwise it creates a perverse incentive to pre-start everything....

Okay, but why would I want to do that anyway? I mean, the GBs on this here site aren't contests. There are no prizes. It's basically for bragging rights only. So why would I want to "cheat"?

And if I wanted to cheat by getting a headstart, who'd stop me? I could simply post pics only once the GB had actually kicked off.

There have been prizes for GBs before now, when somebody has been willing to donate them. You're right that winning is not really the point of GBs, but nevertheless, it's not unknown for perceived unfairness in the application of rules to result in complaints and acrimony. I offered that suggestion more in the spirit of 'guidlines for Mods applying the rules' (remember, Rule 5 is 'Mods' discretion') than an actual tightening of the rules.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones