Rule for posting oversized images.

Started by seadude, April 06, 2017, 09:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Sorry to rain on anybody's parade so to speak, but I'd like to ask if there could be a rule added to this website about no severely oversized images allowed on the forums. I am severely agitated whenever I see excessively large images where I have to continually use the scroll buttons to see the whole image.  :banghead:
I'd like to propose the following:
Limit picture image size to no more than 800 x 800 pixels. Anything larger than that and the image should be posted as a regular link instead for people to click.
There's been a few recent threads with severely large images where I have had to use the scroll buttons to see the pictures and I am getting fed up with it!  :banghead:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Certainly reduces the enjoyment of viewing the thread. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I couldn't agree more, it's a RIGHT pain having to scroll or do the Ctrl - and Ctrl 0 business to see them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

I agree! I meticulously set the width of all my images to 500 already, but since I mainly view this site on my iPad, the overly large images are my sole irritation here.
Thanks!

Greg

Weaver

I generally try to keep images to the size that's just over the page width (about 10%) because the next smaller one feels too restrictive: these are Photobucket image sizes that I'm talking about. I've no idea what this looks like on other devices because I don't have anything except a regular PC monitor: sorry.

Sometimes I post an image via a hotlink to another site such as Twitter, and it turns out to display way too big. I try to fix this, but sometimes the only option will be to download it, resize it and upload it to photobucket, and for something trivial that's a bit too much work sometimes.

When I find myself looking at oversize images I use CTRL with - and + on the keypad and it honestly doesn't feel like much of a pain at all to me.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Agreed.  I usually set my images to a max width of 1280 pixels when entering in the image URL, like this (img width=1280]http://www.whatever.co/image.png(/img).  On another forum I belong to, the forum software automatically resizes (you should be able to see an example here without having to become a member.)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

major

Only recently discovered, as I scroll over an image on the form, when you 'left click', the picture pops up on the screen perfectly framed and sized.

NARSES2

I do understand what you are saying Seadude, and yes it can be a right pain.

Speaking with my moderators hat on I feel it doesn't really require a rule, as mentioned there are work around's and I for one don't like strict rules, after all I'd have to enforce them, but prefer a gentle touch. As such I tend to contact the poster, especially when they are new members and encourage them to use a smaller size.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Define too big.

Everyone uses a different size monitor or a phone.  What's too big for one is waaaay too tiny for another. 

Basically, I post what I can and if it's too big - tough.  I have to live with images that are too big from others and I just shrug, so really, others should be able to also.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

ChernayaAkula

If an image is too big, right-click on it and select "view image". Should open an image fitting your browser window.

As for what's too big. Only a small percentage (single digits) uses display resolutions smaller than 1280 pixels wide. The vast majority (9 out of 10 and up) uses 1280 wide and up. LINK! Therefore, 800 wide would be too small.

We've got a similar problem on a German modelling site, only on the other extreme. They decided years ago that 800 shall be the maximum width. And now they're too stubborn to realize the times have changed and display resolutions have gone up. It's a right PITA to deal with too small images.

Shouldn't the board software have an auto resize function? If so, set that to a max width of, IDK, 1280 wide? Big enough to be usable, small enough for those  who have problems with too big images.

Although, frankly, there are very, very few people who use too big images. And going with a max width as seadude's proposed 800 pixels would be total overkill.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 07, 2017, 12:27:42 PM

As for what's too big. Only a small percentage (single digits) uses display resolutions smaller than 1280 pixels wide. The vast majority (9 out of 10 and up) uses 1280 wide and up.

That's not quite the point.....

The Forum window isn't the full width of anyone's screen, there's a hefty chunk of border on either side, and some of us may not view the Forum full screen anyway. My screen is 1366 wide, but the 800 width limit is one I've used since I came on here ages ago and it works fine for me, and I'll always post my images that size.

In the past I've used the Ctrl - and Ctrl 0 to see larger images but until today I didn't know about the 'left click' trick that Major mentions in post #6, and that works a treat.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

^
Well, actually, that's pretty much the point, as it shows just how much "real estate" there is to display the forum on.
The portion on the left containing the user's name, avatar and other stuffs is 200 pixels wide. Always is, regardless of resolution. The scrollbar on the right is 20 pixels wide.
Going by your resolution of 1366 pixels, that should leave you with about 1150 pixels (because of the scrollbar) of available space. You could easily post 1280 pixel wide pictures. Granted, you'd lose a bit on the right-hand side, but in a lot of pics that's mostly empty space anyway. And if it was indeed necessary to view the full-size pic, there's that left-click thing (which I didn't know about until today). Or at least use 1024 wide images.

800 pixels was fine. A couple of years ago. When displays were smaller. Now it's outdated and unnecessarily small. Display resolutions have increased, bandwidth has increased - there's no need for tiny pics.

And people not viewing the forum in full screen don't get to complain about people posting too large images. It's their personal decision to use their available resolution to their liking, but they can't make others play by their specific rules.

EDIT: For the record. I use a 1920 x 1200 resolution. Of that, my browser window is about 1440 pixels wide. I've found that to be a decent size for most of my browsing.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Here's another thing you can do. if you use Firefox, you can get a browser plugin which automatically displays any image link that you mouse over in a size that fits the screen. It's intended for expanding thumbnails to preview them, but it works just as well to downsize oversize pics too. You can switch it off with one click if it's making a nuisance of itself. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there are similar plugins for other browsers too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Do we need to get tied up with petty rules and regulations?  There are enough of them in life already.
If a picture is too big try posting a polite request for the OP to resize them.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 07, 2017, 09:45:52 PM
Do we need to get tied up with petty rules and regulations?  There are enough of them in life already.
If a picture is too big try posting a polite request for the OP to resize them.

My view exactly  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.