An Ify Bridge

Started by Ify, April 07, 2017, 05:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Ify on April 09, 2017, 10:03:27 PM
Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2017, 08:23:58 PM...Is this based on the Harwood Bridge?
Close, but 100 kms further up the road to Wardell bridge.

Right.  Got it on Google Earth now.
I've been up that way a few times for the Blues Fest and so must have crossed it.  I'll pay more attention next time.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Ify

Quote from: zenrat on April 11, 2017, 03:41:07 AM...I've been up that way a few times for the Blues Fest and so must have crossed it.  I'll pay more attention next time.

Be aware that in next few years the Pacific highway will bypass Wardell.
Captain: The future is in your hands, Scotty.
Scotty: But Captain, I can't change the laws of physics.

zenrat

Is that good or bad?
A fair few towns died when the Hume by-passed them.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Ify

From post #26, steps were needed to amend blotchy splatter painting.

LEFT: First I used the dry-brush method to texture the light grey over the dark and visa versa. This evened the effect quite well, but now there were thousands of smaller blotches.
RIGHT: Went over the bridge filling in the dark with the light and visa versa with a fine brush.

LEFT: After pointillising the the patches the road looked more even.
RIGHT: Final road texture. Here I stepped back to see the lighter and darker areas and just touched them up to further even the texture.

I am still working on the last stage. Then I will put in the white double-centre and fog lines. I am sure it will then look more like a concrete road.
I liked the challenges, and the helpful suggestions from What If members... thanks.

PR19_Kit

Goodness, that looks very 'road like'.  Nice work.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

A delightful piece of work.  It also reminds us that ANYTHING is Whiffable if we choose to make it so.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Ify

Quote from: zenrat on April 11, 2017, 04:08:06 AM
Is that good or bad?
A fair few towns died when the Hume by-passed them.

The BP service station at Wardell is the only convenience store along the highway. Wardell is a small town does not seem to be reliant on the highway going through it. I am assuming it maybe more good than bad for the residence.

Ify

Thank you Kit and Rheged for kind words.

Weaver

This is an amazing project - well done so far, good recovery on the roadway and I hope it all comes together for you!  :thumbsup:

If you put "making model trees" into Youtube you get 888,000 hits. Might be going out on a limb (groan), but I'd bet a modest amount of model vouchers that one or two of them are useful to you...

I'd imagine that, just as with painting trees, the first and most important step is to really look at trees and figure out how they work and why they look like they do.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ify

Thank you Weaver for the tip.

I have been looking on the Internet on how to make trees.
Two weeks ago I received a few trees from an eBay supplier. After a closer look at them I realized I could make my own from copper wire and solder.
I need about 20-30 trees. So far I have made three tree skeletons.
In Australia, we have a lot of tall straight Eucalyptus trees. The ones from suppliers look more like either pine or orchard trees.
Below are the three trees. The taller one is the basic shape for most of the others. Though I will add a bit more body in the lower branches and stem.

One tip I learnt a long time ago, from an artist, is that trees have to have at least one hole big enough for a bird to fly through.
So I'll have to remember that when I add foliage.

NARSES2

Fantastic work on those trees  :bow:

What do you intend using for the foliage ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ify

Hello NARSES2
I am not sure at the moment. I have received some green foliage cluster in a package. I will experiment on how that attaches to the thin wires if the tree. I will use spray adhesive first.
However, if test result looks too sparse, I'll add some fibre to the outer limbs in hope of adhering more foliage.
How does that seem to you?

NARSES2

I think it really is a case of going very slowly and adding a little at a time until you are happy with it. And then stop ! It's a very difficult thing to replicate especially in small scale.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I used a lot of Woodland Scenics stuff for my model railway scenery, not that I'm any good at it, and I tend to sub-contract that part of the job to a good friend who's a veritable genius at it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ify

Thank you NARSES2 and Kit for your input.
Since nobody else at the museum wants to help, I'll have to do it myself. Besides I prefer it that way.
NARSES2, I will take your post under advisement.. Easy Does It.

Finally got the road completed.
The 1/72 scale cars will be installed at end of project.