No. 5 DONE +++ the PLANAF's J-7DH, a Chinese "MiG-21 3.0" update

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 09, 2017, 11:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Comrade Fugu.  Your progress is found to be satisfactory at this time.  You may continue.
(need that furry hat emoticon...)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 12, 2017, 11:56:53 PM

I cannot help it, but with this livery the MiG conversion somehow calls (me) for Swiss markings?

I can see what you mean
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

I was about to call it heresy when i saw Viper parts there... :wacko:
But it's looking very good, a beefed up Fishbed! I think the Chinese markings will look very good on that camo, although i like the Swiss markings too. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

I guess that Chinese engineers would not mind some ...external inspiration. after all, the J-7C/D was never officially produced in license, rather reverse-engineered from an Egypt MiG-21MF under silent toleration of its country of origin...

Besides, some final impressions, the project is drawing to its close. The belly:

1:72 Chengdu J-7DH, "83047 Yellow" of the People's Liberation Army, Naval Air Force (PLANAF; 中國人民解放軍海軍航空兵) East Sea Fleet's 4th Fighter Division, 12th Air Regiment; Ningbo AB, 2012 (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And, finally, with markings and during detail touches:

1:72 Chengdu J-7DH, "83047 Yellow" of the People's Liberation Army, Naval Air Force (PLANAF; 中國人民解放軍海軍航空兵) East Sea Fleet's 4th Fighter Division, 12th Air Regiment; Ningbo AB, 2012 (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I hope for clear weather this weekend, so that I can make decent beauty pics.

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Chengdu J-7DH, "83047 Yellow" of the People's Liberation Army, Naval Air Force (PLANAF; 中國人民解放軍海軍航空兵) East Sea Fleet's 4th Fighter Division, 12th Air Regiment; Ningbo AB, 2012 (Whif/kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Chengdu J-7DH, "83047 Yellow" of the People's Liberation Army, Naval Air Force (PLANAF; 中國人民解放軍海軍航空兵) East Sea Fleet's 4th Fighter Division, 12th Air Regiment; Ningbo AB, 2012 (Whif/kitbashing)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
It took China long way to develop and produce a true supersonic fighter aircraft: in March, 1964, Shenyang Aircraft Factory began the first domestic production of the J-7 jet fighter. However, the mass production of the aircraft, which had been developed through Soviet help, license production and reverse-engineering, was severely hindered by an unexpected problem—the Cultural Revolution. This incident and its consequences resulted in poor initial quality and slow progress.

This, in turn, resulted in full scale production only coming about in the 1980s, by which time the J-7 design was showing its age. However, through the years the J-7 saw constant development and refinement in China.

One of the many directions of the prolific J-7 family was the J-7III series, later re-coded J-7C. This variant was in so far special, as it was not based on the 1st generation MiG-21F. It was rather a reverse-engineered MiG-21MF obtained from Egypt, but just like the Soviet ejection seat, the original Soviet radar failed to impress Chinese, so a domestic Chinese radar was developed for the aircraft called the "JL-7". JL-7 is a 2 cm wavelength mono pulse fire radar weighing 100 kg, with a maximum range of 28 km, and MTBF is 70 hours.

However, due to the limitation of Chinese avionics industry in the 1980s, the performance of the domestic Chinese fire control radars were not satisfactory, because due to their relatively large size, the nosecone had to be enlarged, resulting in decrease in aerodynamic performance of the series. As a result, only very limited numbers of this series were built.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The J-7III prototypes comprised a series of  a total of 5 aircraft, equipped with domestically developed HTY-3 ejection seat and KL-11 auto pilot. These machines had to be powered by the domestic WP-7 engine (a copy of the MiG-21F's Tumansky R-11) because the intended WP-13F (a license build of the Tumansky R-13) failed to meet the original schedule. The J-7III was planned to enter service in 1985, but due to the delay of WP-13 development, it was not until 1987 when the design was finally certified.

Production of the true J-7C fighter started in 1989, when the WP-13 became available, but only a total of 17 were built until 1996. It was soon superseded by the J-7IIIA, the prototype of the more sophisticated J-7D. This upgraded all-weather fighter was equipped with KJ-11A auto pilot, JD-3II TACAN, ADS-1 air data computer, Type 563B INS, WL-7A radio compass, Type 256 radar altimeter, TKR-122 radio, 930-4 RWR, 941-4A decoy launcher, and an improved JL-7A radar.
The fighter was to be armed with PL-7 & PL-8 AAMs and carried a twin 23 mm gun (a copy of the MiG-21MF's ventral GSh-23-2 cannon). A HK-13A HUD replaced HK-03D optical sight in earlier models. The upgraded JL-7A fire control radar had look-down/shoot-down capability added.

The production J-7D received an uprated WP-13FI engine, and initial certification was received in November 1994, but it was not until more than a year later in December 1995 when the model was finally fully certified due to the need to certify the WP-13FI on the aircraft. But, again, the results were not satisfactory and only 32 were built until 1999.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Even though the J-7C and D had been developed from a much more modern basis than the earlier MiG-21F derivatives, the "new" type offered - except for the more capable radar and the all-weather capability - no considerable benefit, was even less manoueverable in dogfight situations, more complex and expensive, and also had a very limited range. What was needed was a revolutionary step forward.

Such a proposal came from Chengdu Aircraft Corporation's general designer Mr. Wang Zi-fang (王子方) in 1998, who had already worked on the J-7D. He proposed the addition of fuselage elements that would partly replace the inner wing sections and create lift, but also offer additional room for more and better avionics, allowing the carriage of state-of-the-art weaponry like the PL-11 AAM, together with more internal fuel. Furthermore, the adaptation of the WS-13 turbofan, a new engine for which project work had just started and which would improve both range and performance of the modified aircraft. 

In 2000, while an alternative design, the J-7FS, had been under parallel development and cleared for service by then, CAC received green lights for a developmental technology demonstrator under the label J-7DS (S stands for Shi-yan, 试验, meaning "experimental" in Chinese).

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

While the general third generation MiG-21 outlines were retained, the blended wing/body sections - certainly inspired by US American types like the F-16 and the F-18 -  and a new, taller fin changed overall proportions considerably. Esp. from above, the bigger wing planform with extended LERXes (reminiscent of the MiG Analog experimental delta wing aircraft that were used during the Tu-144 development in the Soviet union) created the impression of a much more massive and compact aircraft, even though the dimenions remained unchanged.

Thanks to the additional space in the BWB sections, new and better equipment could be installed, and the aerodynamics were changed, too. For instance, the J-7's air brakes under the forward fuselage were deleted and replaced by a new pair of splayed design, stabilizing the aircraft more effectively in a dive. The single air brake in front of the  ventral fin was retained, though, as well as the blown flaps from the MiG-21MF.

The ventral gun pod with a domestic copy of the GSh-23-2 was also deleted; this space, together with the air brake compartment, was now used for a semi-recessed laser range finder, so that guided ammunition could be deployed. But a gun was retained: a new, more effective Type 30-I 30 mm (1.18 in) cannon (a copy of the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-30-1) with 150 rounds was placed into the port LERX, under the cockpit.
Inside of the LERX on the other side, compartments for new avionics (esp. for the once more upgraded JL-7B fire control radar) were added. With this radar and weapons like the PL-11 missile, the aircraft finally achieved the long desired BVR interception capability.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Flanking the new, longer WS-13 engine, the BWBs held extra fuel tanks. For en even more extended range and loiter time, provisions were made for a fixed air-refuelling probe on the starboard side under the cockpit.
Under the inner wings, an additional pair of pylons was added (for a total of seven), and overall ordnance load could be raised to 3.000 kg (6.600 lb).

The first J-7DS first flew in summer 2005, still only powered by an WP-13I engine, for a 22-month test program. Three prototypes were built, but only the first two aircraft were to fly – the third machine was only used for static tests.
The driving force behind this program was actually the PLANAF, the People's Liberation Army, Naval Air Force (中國人民解放軍海軍航空兵). While the Chinese Air Force rather placed its bet on the more modern and sophisticated Chengdu J-10 fighter, the PLANAF was rather looking for a more simple and inexpensive multi-role combat aircraft that could carry out both air defence and strike missions, and replace the ageing (and rather ineffective) J-8 fighters and Q-5 attack aircraft, as well as early J-7II fighters with limited all-weather capability. Consequently, the type was only operated by the PLANAF from 2010 onwards and received the official designation J-7DH ("H" for 海军 [Haijun] = Navy).

Production was still continuing in small numbers in late 2016, but the number of built specimen is uncertain. About 150 J-7DH are supposed to be in active service, mostly with PLANAF Northern and East Fleet units. Unlike many former J-7 variants (including its ancestor, the PLAAF's more or less stillborn C and D variants), the J-7DH was not offered for export.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

General characteristics:
Crew: 1
Length: 14.61 m (47 ft 10½ in)
            15.69 m (51 ft 5 in) with pitot
Wingspan: 7,41 m (24 ft 3½ in)
Height: 4.78 m (15 ft 8½ in)
Wing area: 28.88 m² (309.8 ft²)
Aspect ratio: 2.8:1
Empty weight: 5,892 kg (12.977 lb)
Loaded weight: 8,240 kg (18.150 lb)
Max. take-off weight: 9,800 kg (21.585 lb)

Powerplant:
1× Guizhou WS-13 turbofan with a dry thrust of 51.2 kN (11,510 lbf)
     and 84.6 kN (19,000 lbf) with afterburner

Performance:
Maximum speed: Mach 2.0, 2,200 km/h (1.189 knots, 1.375 mph)
Stall speed: 210 km/h (114 knots, 131 mph) IAS
Combat radius: 1.050 km (568 nmi, 652 mi) (air superiority, two AAMs and three drop tanks)
Ferry range: 2,500 km (1.350 nmi, 1.550 mi)
Service ceiling: 17,500 m (57.420 ft)
Rate of climb: 195 m/s (38.386 ft/min)

Armament:
1× Type 30-I 30mm (1.18") cannon with 150 rounds in the port forward fuselage;
7× hardpoints (6× under-wing, 1× centerline under-fuselage) with a capacity of 3,000 kg maximum (up to 500 kg each); Ordnance primarily comprises air-to-air missiles, including PL-2, PL-5, PL-7, PL-8, PL-9 and PL-11 AAMs, but in a secondary CAS role various rocket pods an unguided bombs of up to 500kg caliber can be carried

1:72 Chengdu J-7DH, "83047 Yellow" of the People's Liberation Army, Naval Air Force (PLANAF; 中國人民解放軍海軍航空兵) East Sea Fleet's 4th Fighter Division, 12th Air Regiment; Ningbo AB, 2012 (Whif/kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Chengdu J-7DH, "83047 Yellow" of the People's Liberation Army, Naval Air Force (PLANAF; 中國人民解放軍海軍航空兵) East Sea Fleet's 4th Fighter Division, 12th Air Regiment; Ningbo AB, 2012 (Whif/kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The result is a pretty subtle whif, and with the F-16 parts added the result even looks very conclusive! From above, the extra fuselage width makes the Fishbed look very massive, which is underlined by the extended stabilizer span. But I think that retailing the original MiG-21 delta wing was a good decision, because it helps retaining the Fishbed's "fast" look.
I am just not 100% happy with the finish - but for the crappy kits I used as basis it's O.K.

Gondor

That looks really great Dizzy, from some angels its difficult to tell that its not just a MiG 21  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much. Yes, the result is more subtle than expected, despite the massive surgery/implantation work. But I think it both honors the ancestry, as well as the rather pragmatic approach to innovations...  :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

Got a good, solid chunkiness to it, rather than the usual cigar tube look. Nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

I really like this Dizzy, a perfect upgrade MIG-21 if ever I saw one. I dare say the Cartel will be sniffing round Chinese military surplus yards now looking for some of these  ;)
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RAFF-35

It looks like a MiG-21 mated with an F-16  ;D looks super realistic though, great job as always  :thumbsup:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: chrisonord on April 15, 2017, 12:45:13 PM
I really like this Dizzy, a perfect upgrade MIG-21 if ever I saw one. I dare say the Cartel will be sniffing round Chinese military surplus yards now looking for some of these  ;)
Chris.

He he, that sounds interesting. North Korea was and is highly interested in the J-7DH, too!  ;)

Thank you very much, everyone. Glad you like this rather chunky piece - even though you only need two donor kits to build this combo. I wonder if it would look (much) better if more decent kits were used as a basis? I'd love to see a better remale of this one, lots of potential, I think.

zenrat

Comrade Fugu you have triumphed.  Well done.
You have retained the spirit of the people's glorious MiG 21 while changing it sufficient to confound the capitalist running dogs.
You have the gratitude of the people.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..