No. 5 DONE +++ the PLANAF's J-7DH, a Chinese "MiG-21 3.0" update

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 09, 2017, 11:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

The Soviet GB soon comes to a close, and I will try to add another model -  like the T-34 whif, what would this GB without an interpretation of the Fishbed theme?
I have an idea, but since this will hardly be plausible as a Soviet/Russian development, I'd rather lay the blame for this on Chinese engineers who did not have much lock copying the  late MiG-21MF as the J-7III. A small number was built and put into service as night fighters, but the performance was not convincing. So a thorough update, inspired by other technology "input", appears most plausible - and the MiG-21 heritage should still remain recognizable, despite Chinese "Stars & Bars". I hope that this is O.K. for the confines of the GB?

Dizzyfugu

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Tophe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 10, 2017, 10:38:17 AM
Progress... think about a MiG-21 MF/F-16 kitbash!  :mellow:
Do you mean a F-16 with nose air intake instead of the one below? or opposite: a MiG-21 with F-16 wings/canopy/fin ? Interesting anyway... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

He he, a lot of potential combinations. But it looks actually more harmless than it sounds - inspired by a whiffy artwork I came across some time ago, in which parts of both aircraft (basically a MiG-21 fuselage with F-16 wings, with some more changes like a raked air intake opening) were combined into a pretty modern and good-looking new aircraft. Well, I tried to replicate this design, but it does not work as the artist envisioned it.

An F-16 is a bit larger than a Fishbed, and you cannot combine the parts OOB. Therefore, and in order to avoid too much slashwork, "my" MiG-21/F-16 hybrid will end up with the BWB flanks from the F-16 added and a new fin, but retain the MiG's w8ings and stabilizers. This already changes the look considerably, the thing reminds a little of the MiG Analog test plane and looks pretty massive and stout now!

On the other side, I am bashing two Master/Mistercraft kits, and this does not make things easier... Nothing truly fits together, and then try to combine parts from two such kits...  :angry:

Dizzyfugu

Some impressions from the creative transplantations... The interior hardly changed. The cockpit tub does not fit at all, the tail with the afterburner inside had to be modded, too.

1:72 Chengdu J-7DH; PLANAF 2012 (Whif/kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I originally wanted to use the F-16 wings and stabilizers, but they turned out to be too big for the slender MiG-21. Trimming had been an option, but that would potentially have looked rather goofy. So I tried to adapt the original wings and stabilizers, and that was a very good match. The conversion is more subtle now:

And this is what the "new" thing looks overall - notice the massive putty work everywhere, not only induced by the kitbashing work, but rather the poor overall fit of any OOB piece! The Mastercraft kits are cheap, and you will pay elsewhere... :-\

Stay tuned...

zenrat

Comrade Fugu.  Be very carefull interfering with the peoples glorious design of the worlds #1 lightweight fighter.
The Commissars are watching  and will not allow you to blame too much on those foolish Chinese...
;) (we need a smiley with a fur hat for this GB)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

A
                         _,-' `-._
                  _-'_________`-_
                    ``---\_ _/---``
                           (_ - _)
                            \_._/ 8
                           __H__  8
                            \  |  /  8
                           |\ | /|  8
                         _|_|||_|_8
                         `-,/   \,-'8.
                             |   |    `8<
                             |   |
                             |-,-|
                             '-'-'

;D

Besides, I was able to retrieve the inspiring original artwork in the WWW - it's from Japan!

From http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Icho/3902/jf/mig21_2020.html

ChernayaAkula

Nice job!  :thumbsup: The Viper tail works surprisingly well on this.
Love the overall looks of this. Part Viper, part Fishbed - with a hint of Fulcrum.
The raked wingtips on the Japanese artwork look pretty cool.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 10, 2017, 11:20:43 PM
<...> I am bashing two Master/Mistercraft kits, and this does not make things easier... Nothing truly fits together, and then try to combine parts from two such kits...  :angry:

Well, minus times minus equals plus, no? :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. Yes, the extended LERXes change the look considerably - from abobe, the Fishbed now looks much more massive; A quite similar, F-16ish fin was actually tested on a Chinese J-7 derivative (the late J-7FS), and earmarked for a bunch of projects that never made it off of the drawing board.

Dizzyfugu

More progress. Small bits and pieces were added (antennae, pitots, air scoops, landing gear struts and covers, chall/flare dispenser):

And quickly painting has started; livery will not be spectacular, a three-tone grey scheme as a compromise between all-grey PLANAF J-7s and the original PLAAF J-7C/D night fighters in sand and dark green with a blue belly - from the latter comes the pattern, just executed in grey tones:

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sandiego89

Wow, lots of work there- hope you have not sanded off your fingerprints yet!

Great look. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

No, fingers are all intact, but almost any surface detail (which is not very pronounced on both dodnor kits for starters...) is gone...  :-\

I cannot help it, but with this livery the MiG conversion somehow calls (me) for Swiss markings? But I will resist and keep things Chinese! :angry: