Retreived from the Shelf of Doom

Started by NARSES2, April 11, 2017, 07:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I've decided to gradually try and clear my Shelf of Doom by doing one or two alongside any new builds I start. No real reason, just decided to give it a crack.

Here's the first couple that have gone through the process. Nothing spectacular and they will almost certainly disappear into storage, just wanted to get them finished even if they wern't that great.

Curtis XP-42

Another attempt by the aircraft industry to develop a radial engine aircraft with the streamlining possible with an in-line engine. Like all the others of the period I know of it failed, and indeed the engine temperature guage went into the red almost as soon as the engine was started. None the less it was tested and proved faster than the P.36 but slower than the P.40 that was already in service. The prototype was passed on to NACA who eventually partially sorted the over heating problem albeit by reducing the length of the cowling until it looked almost the same as the P.36. Served out the war as a NACA hack.

This is the LF Models kit which consists on the AML P.36 kit (pre cut) with resin nose and other new parts. It took an age to sort the join between the plastic fuselage and resin nose out which is why she ended up on the shelf of doom.

I've finished her as a propaganda fighter in early 1942. She was filmed in a least 4 separate schemes, with different personal markings each time, and shown in movie cinemas as the USAAC's latest fighter at a time when there were many invasion scares on the Pacific Coast in particular. As the "threat" reduced she gradually dropped out of the picture and was returned to Curtis and then NACA for development work.

Vultee XP-54 Swoose Goose

No back story to this one. Yet another US WWII prototype that was to suffer a series of problems with the engines that were proposed for it and also to suffer from the USAAC not really having a use for it and seemingly constantly changing their minds. An interesting aircraft non the less with a very heavy armament 2 times 37mm plus 2 times 20mm fitted in a nose which allowed them to been angled whilst firing to compensate for the different muzzle velocities. Also had a unique (as far as I know) method for the pilot to gain entry. The seat was lowered to the ground, he sat in it and it was raised into postion and the cockpit sealed. Had an early ejection mechanism. Given the armament it might have made a good ground attack aircraft.

Planet models kit which built well. The markings represent no particular unit and if I'm honest were just handy when it came to needing some to use. 

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Love that Swoose Goose Chris. That looks as if could have been a real PITA to build but you did a great job on it.  :thumbsup:

That 'elevator seat' for the pilot was resurrected for the Republic XF-103 a zillion years later, but they didn't complete the build of the prototype. You can see their version of the seat under the nose of the mockup here.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Good job, and i'd never heard of either aircraft  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Hobbes on April 11, 2017, 11:48:59 PM
Good job, and i'd never heard of either aircraft  :thumbsup:

Same here, both look great but the Goose is my fav too, very interesting plane. :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 11, 2017, 11:56:57 AM
Love that Swoose Goose Chris. That looks as if could have been a real PITA to build but you did a great job on it.  :thumbsup:

That 'elevator seat' for the pilot was resurrected for the Republic XF-103 a zillion years later, but they didn't complete the build of the prototype. You can see their version of the seat under the nose of the mockup here.

It was also used on the F-104A and the Tu-22, Kit.   It made sealing the pressure cockpit easier but made ejection quite dangerous as you had to roll the aircraft before you could eject at low altitude (like take off, landing, that sort of thing).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on April 12, 2017, 07:25:20 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 11, 2017, 11:56:57 AM

It was also used on the F-104A and the Tu-22, Kit.   It made sealing the pressure cockpit easier but made ejection quite dangerous as you had to roll the aircraft before you could eject at low altitude (like take off, landing, that sort of thing).

I'm not sure about the F-104A. I know it had a downward ejection seat, but surely it sat too low for the pilot to get in that way, his the entrance was via the sideways opening canopy IIRC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

This XP-54 twin-boom model is pretty, thanks! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 12, 2017, 04:51:52 AM

Same here, both look great but the Goose is my fav too, very interesting plane. :cheers:

It's one of a whole series of projects from the U.S. in the early through mid 1940's that failed either because the engines they were designed around never reached production status or the USAAF kept changing its mind about what it wanted them for. I've got quite a few books which cover these projects and most of them are produced in kit form by the likes of Planet or Anigrand. Some of the Curtis designs in particular are quite brutish looking. I have a few of them and a few have been built, a few are on the "Shelf of Doom" in various states of completion, whilst others are just sitting there on the shelving awaiting starting  ;) The real problem with them is finding a practical use for them.

The next one to come down from the "Shelf of Doom" will be Anigrand's Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning. I think I'm going to do her as a nightfighter, backup to the P.61

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

The XP-58 sure looks like a good partner for the P-61.  :thumbsup:
The XP-67 Moonbat is one of my fav prop planes, i'd love to build one, such a beautiful plane, but the Anigrand kit is expensive. I guess i'll give in sooner or later cause there's no other option other than Rare planes Vacform kits, which are very hard to find, and i'm not very interested in those kits... :rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 13, 2017, 07:06:00 AM

The XP-67 Moonbat is one of my fav prop planes, i'd love to build one, such a beautiful plane, but the Anigrand kit is expensive. I guess i'll give in sooner or later cause there's no other option other than Rare planes Vacform kits, which are very hard to find, and i'm not very interested in those kits... :rolleyes:

Very much so, it's got a lovely blended shape.

Czech Master Resin did a kit years ago. I've built it and was surprised how big it was. Still have the Anigrand one in the stash  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 14, 2017, 06:03:55 AM

Czech Master Resin did a kit years ago. I've built it and was surprised how big it was. Still have the Anigrand one in the stash  :thumbsup:

I've got a Rareplanes vacuform kit of it plus Aeroclub's white metal detail set. You might be able to find one on the internet.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 14, 2017, 08:32:09 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 14, 2017, 06:03:55 AM

I've got a Rareplanes vacuform kit of it plus Aeroclub's white metal detail set. You might be able to find one on the internet.

I looked around yesterday, couldn't find one on Ebay.UK but i do have my mind set on the Anigrand kit, it won't be the most expensive kit in the stash and , from what i've seen, i believe that the quality of the kit justifies the price. :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Great stuff Chris ! Love them both. I had forgot all about the Swoose Goose ! And I love the nose on the XP-42.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 16, 2017, 04:16:37 PM

I looked around yesterday, couldn't find one on Ebay.UK but i do have my mind set on the Anigrand kit, it won't be the most expensive kit in the stash and , from what i've seen, i believe that the quality of the kit justifies the price. :thumbsup:

I don't think Anigrand are at the top end of resin kit manufacturers as they are a little "clunky". However all the bits you need are there, they go together well and I'm happy that the ones I have are value for money