New Bloke - Airfix 1/72 RAF/RN Skyhawk.

Started by stuart, April 14, 2017, 02:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuart

Hi All,

As I've just joined the forum (long time lurker) I thought I'd better post something up. I'm Stuart and I hail from Bucks in England. I've been modelling properly for nearly 8 years now (started in my 30's), mainly building aircraft in 1/72. I enjoy building RAF aircraft mainly (love me some green/grey camo), along with USN, IAF, and European subjects coming a close second.

I've never realy built any what-if models, other than a few old MB kits that I built for my son to play with - all in RAF colours of course. So this'll be my proper first stab at something for my shelf.

I'm building the new tool Airfix 1/72 Skyhawk in either an FAA or RAF scheme - just not sure which yet. Nothing too exciting but we'll see how I get on. I did toy with the idea of a Gulf War pink bird but we'll see.

Here's a first pic - just doing a test fit. I have built the cockpit and done the decals and what not.

I can see a few gap issues so I'll have to do a bit of fettling me thinks.

Anyway - nice to meet you and I look forward to chatting to you all  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Stuart
''I may not be good but I'm slow...''

zenrat

Welcome.
I'd argue you have only just begun to model properly...
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Good to see you here Stuart, good work on the Skyhawk so far.  :thumbsup:

You're not that far from Milton Keynes, so why not come up to their show on Sunday the 23rd and have a look at some of the other 'derivative' stuff on the SIG stand?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Welcome Ian, that looks like a fine project to kick off with. :thumbsup:

Suggestion: you could easily make it more 'British' by using RAF weapons: BL755s, Matra pods, AIM-9L/ASRAAMs etc..

There were also at least two different ways of fitting 30mm ADEN/DEFA cannons to the Skyhawk. The Israelis used a rather bulky conversion involving long farings under the wings, but the Singaporeans had a batch with ADENs just slotted in in place of the Mk.12s. The only visible difference in the latter case is that the barrels are shorter, slightly fatter and have plain muzzles: dead easy to do with bit of fine alloy tube.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

comrade harps

Welcome aboard the good ship Whiffy McWhiffyface!  :thumbsup:

A desert pink scooter does sound nice, but it's entirely whatever floats your boat!
Whatever.

NARSES2

Wellcome aboard and as Kit says if you can get to the MK show pop in and see us  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stuart

Thanks for the warm welcome all  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on April 14, 2017, 03:49:46 AM
Welcome.
I'd argue you have only just begun to model properly...
;D

Thanks! That's an interesting point!  ;D

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2017, 04:27:29 AM
Good to see you here Stuart, good work on the Skyhawk so far.  :thumbsup:

You're not that far from Milton Keynes, so why not come up to their show on Sunday the 23rd and have a look at some of the other 'derivative' stuff on the SIG stand?

Hi Kit - Thanks!

Alas I was planning on attending, but I'm not going to be able to make it this year - I hope you guys have a good show though!

Quote from: Weaver on April 14, 2017, 04:52:11 AM
Welcome Ian, that looks like a fine project to kick off with. :thumbsup:

Suggestion: you could easily make it more 'British' by using RAF weapons: BL755s, Matra pods, AIM-9L/ASRAAMs etc..

There were also at least two different ways of fitting 30mm ADEN/DEFA cannons to the Skyhawk. The Israelis used a rather bulky conversion involving long farings under the wings, but the Singaporeans had a batch with ADENs just slotted in in place of the Mk.12s. The only visible difference in the latter case is that the barrels are shorter, slightly fatter and have plain muzzles: dead easy to do with bit of fine alloy tube.

Thanks, I thought I should start with something simple. The ADEN idea is a really good one - I'll do that.

I'd love to use more British weapons but... where do you get them?! It seems to me we're well served for US kit but less so for us, unless you want to shell out £30 for an old Airfix Nato weapons set.

Quote from: comrade harps on April 14, 2017, 04:57:51 AM
Welcome aboard the good ship Whiffy McWhiffyface!  :thumbsup:

A desert pink scooter does sound nice, but it's entirely whatever floats your boat!

Thanks  ;D

The more I think about, the more I like that idea. Maybe with a Pave Spike pod a'la Buccaneer.

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 14, 2017, 06:10:41 AM
Wellcome aboard and as Kit says if you can get to the MK show pop in and see us  :thumbsup:

Thanks  ;D Alas as I said - I can't make it this year :angry: I do hope you guys have a good show though.

Cheers All!

Stuart (who's Ian?  ;D )

sandiego89

Quote from: stuart on April 14, 2017, 12:00:29 PM

I'd love to use more British weapons but... where do you get them?!

[/quote]

Rob them from a Harrier/Hawk/Hunter etc. kit.  We all do that here.  Welcome!

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

stuart

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 14, 2017, 12:35:12 PM

I'd love to use more British weapons but... where do you get them?!

Rob them from a Harrier/Hawk/Hunter etc. kit.  We all do that here.  Welcome!

-Dave
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip Dave - Probably still cheaper to do that than a buy a Hasegawa weapons set anyway  ;D

PR19_Kit

I'd love to use more British weapons but... where do you get them?! It seems to me we're well served for US kit but less so for us, unless you want to shell out £30 for an old Airfix Nato weapons set.

IIRC the recent Revell Typhoon kit is effectively an RAF weapons set with an aircraft kit thrown in for good measure.  ;D

It may be the Revell Tornado on second thoughts, but it's one of them for sure.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2017, 02:08:49 PM

IIRC the recent Revell Typhoon kit is effectively an RAF weapons set with an aircraft kit thrown in for good measure.  ;D

For really up to date UK and German weapons get the Revell Typhoon, that's the modern Jet as opposed to the WWII propeller aircraft that Revell also have one of.

For slightly earlier 70's/80's/90's weapons the older Airfix Harrier GR 5 or GR 7 kits, mine is an Airfix Club set GR7 boxed with a Sea Harrier FA 2, that has quite a lot of weapon options in it.

Alternatively you can ask your fellow modellers here for a particular weapons load.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

stuart

Quote from: Gondor on April 14, 2017, 02:56:26 PM

For really up to date UK and German weapons get the Revell Typhoon, that's the modern Jet as opposed to the WWII propeller aircraft that Revell also have one of.

For slightly earlier 70's/80's/90's weapons the older Airfix Harrier GR 5 or GR 7 kits, mine is an Airfix Club set GR7 boxed with a Sea Harrier FA 2, that has quite a lot of weapon options in it.

Alternatively you can ask your fellow modellers here for a particular weapons load.

Gondor

Thanks for the steer Gents - I have both the Tornado and the Eurotiffy in the stash as it happens  :mellow:

Did Airfix stick any Gulf war era weapons in their Buccaneer re-box a few years back?

Cheers

Stuart

Charlie_c67

Hasegawa's European Weapons set is good if you're doing anything modern as it has ASRAAMs (1998-), Meteor's (2016-), ALARM's (1990-2013), Storm Shadow's (2002-), Brimstone's (2005-) and AiM-120 (1998-).  Sadly, other older ordnance is a lot harder to find. Airwaves do British 1000 lbers, Freightdog do Red Tops, 18 round Matra pods, TiALDs, RAPTOR pods and British Nukes, while Firestreaks, Blue Dolphins (Made by modifying Red Tops), Skyflash, Sidewinders, BL 755's and other rocket pods have to be pinched from other kits if not already included.

Don't think I've missed too many!
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid."

Weaver

Quote from: Charlie_c67 on April 14, 2017, 04:42:51 PM
Hasegawa's European Weapons set is good if you're doing anything modern as it has ASRAAMs (1998-), Meteor's (2016-), ALARM's (1990-2013), Storm Shadow's (2002-), Brimstone's (2005-) and AiM-120 (1998-).  Sadly, other older ordnance is a lot harder to find. Airwaves do British 1000 lbers, Freightdog do Red Tops, 18 round Matra pods, TiALDs, RAPTOR pods and British Nukes, while Firestreaks, Blue Dolphins (Made by modifying Red Tops), Skyflash, Sidewinders, BL 755's and other rocket pods have to be pinched from other kits if not already included.

Don't think I've missed too many!

Freightdog have also done the RN style 2" rocket pod that looks like a MATRA pod but has three rings of tubes. They're not listed at the moment but he's re-popped them before so he may well do so again. His Lightning FGA kit also includes a couple of N1 supersonic 1000lb bombs (similar to Mk.83) that were never put into production. £11's a lot to spend just to get the bombs, but if you've any interest in using the Lightning conversion then you can always stick Bullpups or AS.30s on it instead since both were projected weapons.

Link: http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/index.php?cPath=27_29&osCsid=78dbf62a52886686020234c3cb0c75de

Alley Cat have taken over the old Odd'n'Odnance range and there's some tasties in there, including British 1000lb GP bombs, MATRA JL-100 fuel+rocket pods (projected for the export Lightning and relevent to any pylon-limited aircraft), AS.30s, FRADU pods & Red Tops.

Link: http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/aircraft-sets-172-scale-354-c.asp
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

A RN Scooter is quite logical in many ways.

Be interesting to see which direction yours goes in, stuart. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est