3 (6.4%)
The Piggyback/Mistel GB
3 (6.4%)
The Rational Sci Fi GB
7 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: May 01, 2017, 06:50:51 AM

The Wooksta!

It's a shame we don't have the equivalent of Britmodeller's "Kick up the A***" group builds, where people restart various abandoned projects and complete them.

I don't see why we couldn't run one of these concurrent with another GB.  Not necessarily to have anyone win, just an impetus to get things finished.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on May 03, 2017, 01:46:17 PM
Chris,

Serious question.  I've a bunch of part builds that are doing my head in!  A number of them I think could fit into several of the GB themes.  Bearing in mind the rules (as you reminded folk already) would there be any harm in carrying on a part build within the general theme of a GB but not part of it?  So if there's a GB general chat thread going on (say) then post updates on failed GB entry revival progress there?  Clearly not start an in-build thread or have the build up for voting when the time comes.

Right, so you are thinking of a kind of "associate GB" category ?

Now I have no problem with setting up a thread within the GB board called "associated builds" or something similar where people could post comments/photos etc on stalled builds that they had been inspired to try and complete because of the GB. Obviously photos of complete models would need to go in the normal rather than the GB board, but as long as we keep the "pre-started's" separate from the official entries I have no problem. People would let me know they had something in mind for this associated build and I would open thread, it wouldn't become an automatic fixture for future G.B.'s.

That the type of thing you mean ?

Anyone else have opinions either way ?

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 04, 2017, 03:16:34 AM
It's a shame we don't have the equivalent of Britmodeller's "Kick up the A***" group builds, where people restart various abandoned projects and complete them.

I don't see why we couldn't run one of these concurrent with another GB.  Not necessarily to have anyone win, just an impetus to get things finished.

I think we did something similar a few years ago Lee, not sure but the memory is trying to dig it out.

In theory I have no problem with it and again it's one for the membership to comment on.

In practice the problem I have is that of moderation. I have enough problems getting 7 moderators for the existing 3 GB's plus One Week Build as it is. Now these things aren't difficult to moderate and don't take up that much time once they are actually going so maybe it's one I could do ?

Let me think about it mate, but if we do then it will need to be latter this year I think as we will be having a Great War GB running in parallel next year to commemorate the centenary of the end of WWI.

The brain has already started working  ;) If we do it I will probably schedule it so that it spans the cross over period between GB's ?

Chris - who needs to start taking notes on what his "going to have to think about" .
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Over on BTS forum there's an annual 'Clear your Bench' GB, run at the end of the year/New Year time.  Any unfinished projects are acceptable.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

loupgarou

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 04, 2017, 09:20:29 AM
Over on BTS forum there's an annual 'Clear your Bench' GB, run at the end of the year/New Year time.  Any unfinished projects are acceptable.

Could be an idea but, as we have already sections/topics/threads for Individual Builds where any member can advance at his/her/its own pace, a  'Clear your Bench' GB should maybe be reserved to models entered in some GB and not completed.
And I hope the same build will be allowed to be entered in the  'Clear your Bench' GB for as many years as will be necessary to complete it.  :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Captain Canada

We need a 'Finish Something, Anything ! "GB for some of us lol :banghead:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 04, 2017, 06:07:55 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on May 03, 2017, 01:46:17 PM
Chris,

Serious question.  I've a bunch of part builds that are doing my head in!  A number of them I think could fit into several of the GB themes.  Bearing in mind the rules (as you reminded folk already) would there be any harm in carrying on a part build within the general theme of a GB but not part of it?  So if there's a GB general chat thread going on (say) then post updates on failed GB entry revival progress there?  Clearly not start an in-build thread or have the build up for voting when the time comes.

Right, so you are thinking of a kind of "associate GB" category ?

Now I have no problem with setting up a thread within the GB board called "associated builds" or something similar where people could post comments/photos etc on stalled builds that they had been inspired to try and complete because of the GB. Obviously photos of complete models would need to go in the normal rather than the GB board, but as long as we keep the "pre-started's" separate from the official entries I have no problem. People would let me know they had something in mind for this associated build and I would open thread, it wouldn't become an automatic fixture for future G.B.'s.

That the type of thing you mean ?

Essentially yes, Chris, and I see two possible ways of doing it. 

#1  A fair number of GB themes get repeated over time (e.g. Cold War, What If 1946, etc) so anything started for one of them that's still not finished when the theme comes again can be entered in a '[name of GB] resurrection' thread.  Work done during the GB period is posted up, but the last post during the GB period is where the build has got to at the end of the GB.  So for example, all though still to be completed entries from earlier 1 Week GBs could get another one-week lease of life.

#2   Someone has a started build (like my Beaumaris).  Doesn't have to have been in a previous GB, but the GB can provide the impetus to complete the build.  Again, progress can be posted in a 'build resurrection' thread but the last post during the GB period is where the build has got to at the end of the GB.

In both cases though the strict rule is that any such resurrection builds are not GB entries, they are just for fun and do not get included in the GB vote.  They are of course fair game for the Whiffies once they're finished.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter