The 'Stuff you've got in your stash that you'd forgotten about' thread

Started by PR19_Kit, April 17, 2017, 08:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

While grovelling in The Loft to find an Airfix Lightning F2A to try and mate with an Xtrakits TF-102A nose, I came across a box marked 'Vacform odds and ends' which turned out to be a veritable treasure trove of stuff!  :thumbsup:

Ones I can remember were :-

Project X XF-84H Thunderscreech  :thumbsup: (The pick of the bunch to my mind, got to be in service USAF with guns and missiles)
Project X Bristol 188 (In service RAF colours with missile armament?)
Project X Avro 707C (GOT to be done in RAF trainer markings)
ANOTHER VP XB-43 Jetmaster (that makes two of each types I've got now)
Rareplanes Swift FR5 (probably overtaken by the Airfix offering now)
Rareplanes Blackburn Firebrand TF5 (No idea what to do that in, but RAF Coastal might be fun?)
Britavia Westland Dragonfly (TWO of them, with the fuselage in clear plastic)
Britavia Sycamore (Only one, but also clear fuselage)

It's not lost on me that most of these were mastered by Gordon Stephens, the genius of vacforms.

As if I needed any more mental projects?  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I found a pair of those Firebrands yesterday.  Think I have four altogether.  IIRC, I wanted one, possibly both, of the pair I found yesterday for the wings to go on two Blackburn twin engined bomber projects.  One looks like a cross between a Firebrand, an Me 410 and a Mosquito.

I had one of those Firebrands years back but got shot.  It's a nice kit.  If and when I clear the decks of the other things, I'd like to just build it.  RAF isn't such a bad idea, although RAN with Korean stripes would have people guessing.

The 188 in RAF colours with missiles?  It was a very thirsty beast, making the Lightning's fuel consumption look positively miserly.  IIRC, it was in critical fuel condition as soon as the wheels left the tacmac.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 17, 2017, 09:28:18 AM
I found a pair of those Firebrands yesterday.  Think I have four altogether.  IIRC, I wanted one, possibly both, of the pair I found yesterday for the wings to go on two Blackburn twin engined bomber projects.  One looks like a cross between a Firebrand, an Me 410 and a Mosquito.

I had one of those Firebrands years back but got shot.  It's a nice kit.  If and when I clear the decks of the other things, I'd like to just build it.  RAF isn't such a bad idea, although RAN with Korean stripes would have people guessing.

The 188 in RAF colours with missiles?  It was a very thirsty beast, making the Lightning's fuel consumption look positively miserly.  IIRC, it was in critical fuel condition as soon as the wheels left the tacmac.

That Firebrand is a HUGE beast, a bit like the F-105 of its day.

I think the 188 was fuel critical before it left the hangar actually.  ;D

I saw it for real when it was being built in the spring of 1961, I went for an interview at Bristol Filton and one of  the other interviewees and I went for a walk after lunch, opened this hangar door and saw this spaceship inside! We were boggling at it when someone shouted from behind use 'What do you two 'erberts think you're doing?'

Was it our fault they didn't lock the door?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Indeed the 188 was fuel critical.
Given the normal criteria for fuel required to be available for a safe return and land, the 188 was regarded as being in an emergency situation even before it got airborne.  :rolleyes:

As far as stuff in the stash that I can not remember, well I can not remember what is there.
I do know that earlier to-day I was looking for something that I know I have, I just could not find it!  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on April 17, 2017, 11:37:40 AM

I do know that earlier to-day I was looking for something that I know I have, I just could not find it!  :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's in my Loft Jim?  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Think about flogging off the Project X stuff - they go for silly money on ebay these days!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

I have a remarkably good mental list of what's in my stash, with the only failing being the numbers of copies of certain kits, 'remarkable' because my memory is generally awful. If only I could apply the same skill to remembering appointments and people's birthdays! I think it helps that all of my stash is on shelves in a bedroom and an attic  room rather than a 'loft', so it gets looked at more than once in a blue moon...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 17, 2017, 01:34:05 PM

Think about flogging off the Project X stuff - they go for silly money on ebay these days!

I may do that some of them, but not the Thunderscreech, that just HAS to get built.  ;D

Quote from: Weaver on April 17, 2017, 02:11:05 PM

...... my stash is on shelves in a bedroom and an attic  room rather than a 'loft', so it gets looked at more than once in a blue moon...

It doesn't help that some of my stuff in The Loft is in BIG lidded boxes, with 'precise' names such as 'Big Models' and 'Cars A' written on them. It takes me a lot of digging to find things.

Regards
Kit

Nick

On Sunday morning I opened the box of the Fujimi F-14 I've been meaning to finish since 1993 to find an envelope inside. It was addressed to me, it came from HobbyDecal in Korea and it's been forgotten since 2005.
The contents are rub-on stencils for F-14 weapons in 1/32, 1/48 and 1/72.

It seems I got them free post as part of the 2005 F-14 Tomcat GB on Aircraft Resource Center http://www.hobbydecal.com/detail.cgi?number=le32003v1

I wonder what people would pay for it now?  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Now THAT'S worth finding Nick.  :thumbsup:

And you could maybe flog the 1/48 and 1/32 parts for some serious dosh.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

On the other side of the coin, while looking for a 1/144 Hurricane I found a Revell box for that kit, but it contained a Sea Harrier instead......  :banghead:

I suppose it was Hawker though.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I'm always finding different kits inside other boxes, largely because I always try to re-use boxes wherever I can.  Last night it was a Novo DH Comet racer inside a Spitfire Vb box.  I also found another Aeroclub Venom - I found two in a box that I'd got from Bungle last year, but now I can't find that box!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

seadude

I haven't "forgotten" about anything in my stash. I know what I have. I know I need to build it. I just need to stop procrastinating and start building on everything.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Dizzyfugu

I also have a good feeling of what's in the stash - even though I am sometimes amazed to find more specimen of a kit than expected (e.g. Revell G.91s or Matchbox Hawker Tempests) upon inspection. I recently also had it the other way around: I was certain that I had two Revell/Kangnam Yak-38s in the stash - but both were gone, built in the meantime...

What's really dangerous is buying kit lots, esp. when I buy it for only one or two interesting items. The rest escapes my attention (and building/conversion plans), and every now and then I stumble upon "useless" kits like a T-6 Texan or a Mirage 2000 that collect dust.  :-\ Not many, though.

NARSES2

I've a pretty good idea of the types that are in the stash but I get confused about the numbers of each type I have and sometimes the particular mark of aircraft I have.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.