TF-102A nose on a Lightning?

Started by PR19_Kit, April 17, 2017, 09:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I've got one of those conversions too, can't remember if it was for a what-if or OOB though. And I can't find it right now either so I must have slipped it into the kit box I was going to use it on.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

There've been quite a few of them produced, the Airmodel vacform, or which no more need be said, I think Falcon did one, which was probably good like all their stuff. But I think the Xtrakit one was the pick of the bunch, with an injection moulded tup, white metal ejection seats and vacformed cockpit interior.

Anyone know any more?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I think the XtraKit one is really the old Airwaves set, which is the set I have. As you say Kit, injection (in a pasty white colour).

Anyway to add to the list and all 1/72, RVHP, Grand, Meng, Cygnus Scale Conversions

PR19_Kit

It wouldn't surprise me. And yes, it is white, and quite rough in places, almost like a 3D printed one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 22, 2017, 01:24:46 PM
I think the XtraKit one is really the old Airwaves set, which is the set I have  . As you say Kit, injection (in a pasty white colour).

Anyway to add to the list and all 1/72, RVHP, Grand, Meng, Cygnus Scale Conversions

EDIT: I found my set, and it's actually the XtraKit set  :o  which means I must have another somewhere  --- I think  :unsure:

martinbayer

How about an A-6 Intruder?

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: martinbayer on April 22, 2017, 05:07:43 PM

Martin

That would probably work Martin, they're both pretty wide. But I'm not sure that it wouldn't end up looking just like an Intruder with a pointed nose.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 22, 2017, 03:41:59 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on April 22, 2017, 01:24:46 PM
I think the XtraKit one is really the old Airwaves set, which is the set I have  . As you say Kit, injection (in a pasty white colour).

EDIT: I found my set, and it's actually the XtraKit set  :o  which means I must have another somewhere  --- I think  :unsure:

Hannants probably reboxed a load of loose ones when they bought out ED Models, who owned the Airwaves brand.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

martinbayer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 23, 2017, 12:29:11 PM
Quote from: martinbayer on April 22, 2017, 05:07:43 PM

Martin

That would probably work Martin, they're both pretty wide. But I'm not sure that it wouldn't end up looking just like an Intruder with a pointed nose.

New thought - the Mirage series was brought up before, but looking at the lower fuselage contour with concave cross section profiles ahead of the inlets, when matching a TF-102 nose to a Dassault design the Rafale (perhaps in 1/48 rather than 1/72, although the original Delta Dagger intakes might be somewhat anemic) might be a better fit for an enlarged bomber version of the Rafale analogous to the Mirage IV vs. the Mirage III? Otherwise, upping the ante on a yet sleeker bodied swept wing version of the Douglas Skyknight that Dizzyfugu did before might also be an option ;D...

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

zenrat

Maybe you should try and fit it to one of the other Lightnings?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on April 24, 2017, 03:35:14 AM

Now there's a thought  ------   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

It'd improve the looks of it, that's for sure!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2017, 02:14:54 PM

It would look very odd on a P-38  :rolleyes: :-\ :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on April 24, 2017, 02:41:32 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2017, 02:14:54 PM

It would look very odd on a P-38  :rolleyes: :-\ :thumbsup:

Gondor

Sssshhhhhhhh, or Tophe will draw it!  :o ;D

Regards
Kit