No. 6 DONE +++ Yak-138 (NATO code: Flitchbeam) VTOL tactical fighter

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 20, 2017, 12:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Hmm, rather desperation to find a "new" NATO code. No idea what you refer to?! Not certain if the code name persists, though, since I'd rather like something that reflects the machine's VTOL capability.

Dizzyfugu

More news from the ER: the "new" stabilizers (clipped F-16C/D vs. OOB) in detail...

1:72 Yakovlev Yak-138 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and mounted to the fuselage:

With the landing gear, canopy and some other small things added, we're now this far:

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 25, 2017, 07:36:40 AM
Hmm, rather desperation to find a "new" NATO code. No idea what you refer to?! Not certain if the code name persists, though, since I'd rather like something that reflects the machine's VTOL capability.

The Gorean Saga is a series of fantasy novels by John Norman set on the planet Gor.  To call them pulp is demeaning the word.
Violent, mysogenistic and predictable I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  I read some of them as a youth when I didn't know any better and enjoyed that sort of thing.
Ivar Forkbeard is a character in Marauders of Gor, the ninth book in the saga.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Sounds very pirate-esque?  :o

I am still searching for an alternative code, though. "Forkbeard" is not settled.  ;)

zenrat

I'm not going to use F**kwit.  You can have that if you dare. ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Fantastic Dizzy! 

Did you have a real engine in mind?  I realize this is a WHIF, just curious.  Keep it up.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Yes, but a fictional one. My choice fell on a derivative of the NK-32 engine (the one that powers the Tu-160) sans afterburner - the only turbofan engine with potentially enough dry thrust for VTOL in the Harrier's class and in the model's time frame...

As a side note, I settled for the NATO ASCC code "Flitchbeam" for this one. Helplessly pointless, but sounds good on the radio.  ;)

AXU

I've always liked your surgeries Dizzy  :thumbsup: great job on this one!

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much. Almost done now, beauty pics about to be shot. The thing looks so innocent on the shelf, it's really subtle. At first you think "Oh, a Soviet Jaguar", then you recognize the Yak-38 fin and eventually the vectoring nozzles and start to wonder "What, no, this is not a Yak-38, and also no Harrier in disguise, WTF...?". The tactical scheme suits the machine, well, too, it's a very balanced "package" - I am really surprised, esp. when you take into account the messy body work until we got here.  :lol: