BAe Sea Eagle ASM

Started by Army of One, April 26, 2017, 09:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Yup.....waiting to see who/how long.... ;D
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

ChernayaAkula

Sorry it took so long (camera acted up, so I had to use the phone), but here's the pic I promised:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 28, 2017, 12:05:28 AM
They're almost impossible to photograph as they're on the bottom edge of the fuselage, and behind the main gear fairings/floats. And they're not really 'pylons' as they're just a pair of clamps. This is the best I've found, and the full size version that's five times the size, is at

Thanks, Kit. :thumbsup: That's what I initially thought, too. Until I saw a drawing in the Wings & Wheels Publications book on the Sea King that showed a more elaborate pylon/clamp doo-hickey. It consists of a beam/rod connected to the fuselage via some angle brackets. The rod/beam features a clamp which in turn holds the Sea Eagle. It can also be seen in the first Sea King pic H posted.

Here's a combination of the two best pics I've found so far.

Some of the Exocet-carrying Sea Kings seem to use a similar angle bracket to fit the Exocet launch rail to the fuselage at the rear, but the front one looks quite different. Could be the same location, though. I suppose there are certain areas designed for attaching external loads at the helo's design stage. Would make sense, what with otherwise having to (unnecessarily) jump through a multitude of engineering loops for basically the same goal.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kitnut617

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 29, 2017, 10:28:16 PM
They're almost impossible to photograph as they're on the bottom edge of the fuselage, and behind the main gear fairings/floats. And they're not really 'pylons' as they're just a pair of clamps. This is the best I've found, and the full size version that's five times the size, is at

Thanks, Kit. :thumbsup: That's what I initially thought, too. Until I saw a drawing in the Wings & Wheels Publications book on the Sea King that showed a more elaborate pylon/clamp doo-hickey. It consists of a beam/rod connected to the fuselage via some angle brackets. The rod/beam features a clamp which in turn holds the Sea Eagle. It can also be seen in the first Sea King pic H posted.

Those clamps Kit has referred to, would they be the ones that a torpedo is held on with, I have a model which has four torpedos and the front two seem to be about where those clamps are.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 30, 2017, 04:32:05 AM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 29, 2017, 10:28:16 PM

Those clamps Kit has referred to, would they be the ones that a torpedo is held on with, I have a model which has four torpedos and the front two seem to be about where those clamps are.

Could be right, yes.

I zeroed in on the clamps because they looked exactly like the fixtures we used to mount the test Sea Eagle to the impact test rig, but more and more it looks like that setup was a very early attempt at the helicopter launch idea, or else a dead-end development of the system.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit