BAe Sea Eagle ASM

Started by Army of One, April 26, 2017, 09:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Hi....sorry if this is in the wrong place...any mod feel free to move....

Has a body got any images of a LIVE Sea Eagle ASM...?  I have used Google and found all grey rounds with no markings or the orange marked one. Some are all over  various shades of grey....I was expecting at least a different colour radar cap, brown band for motor and yellow for live warhead and some stenciling .....any help appreciated.... H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

lenny100

the live round sea eagle for you unfortunately was sea grey with just the warning bands the radar head usually was the dirty white of raw glass fiber, but a few I saw were also painted the same as the body , it depends when the were manufactured and if the seeker head had been worked on.
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Army of One

Ah.....many thanks....no yellow live warhead or brown band for the motor.....shame...be boring looking missiles then. Many thanks for the reply......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

chrisonord

Quote from: Army of One on April 27, 2017, 10:49:16 AM
Ah.....many thanks....no yellow live warhead or brown band for the motor.....shame...be boring looking missiles then. Many thanks for the reply......
It's whiff world H, paint them how you want :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Army of One

Quote from: chrisonord on April 27, 2017, 11:49:11 AM
Quote from: Army of One on April 27, 2017, 10:49:16 AM
It's whiff world H, paint them how you want :thumbsup:
Chris

Yeah.....there is that..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

IIRC the Indian Navy Sea Eagles had a somewhat 'bright' colour scheme, but it may have just been the R&D rounds. Having said that, the same scheme appeared on missiles carried by SHARs, Sea Kings, Jaguars and Il-38s.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 27, 2017, 04:21:15 PM
IIRC the Indian Navy Sea Eagles had a somewhat 'bright' colour scheme, but it may have just been the R&D rounds. Having said that, the same scheme appeared on missiles carried by SHARs, Sea Kings, Jaguars and Il-38s.

I think your right saying that Kit although maybe they were also for carriage trials as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

ChernayaAkula

I don't know how much they can be trusted, but the Airfix instructions in their Hi-Tech series RAF/NATO Weapons Kit have a short dark yellow strip just ahead of the upper big fins, going across the top from conduit to conduit. Just below the upper fins is a small yellow/black dot (CoG marking?). There's also a black stencil with some writing (probably the best-before date and some loading instructions) further to the front.

I'm posting from the phone atm, but I'll post a pic of the instructions and decals sometime Friday evening or Saturday (will be busy on Friday). The decals aren't terribly sharp, meaning you could get away with some generic stencil stuff.

EDIT:
Sorry it took so long (camera acted up, so I had to use the phone), but here's the pic I promised:

END OF EDIT

Since we're on the topic of Sea Eagles, does anybody know where to find close-up pics of the Sea Eagle pylons on the Indian Sea Kings?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 27, 2017, 06:58:45 PM

Since we're on the topic of Sea Eagles, does anybody know where to find close-up pics of the Sea Eagle pylons on the Indian Sea Kings?

They're almost impossible to photograph as they're on the bottom edge of the fuselage, and behind the main gear fairings/floats. And they're not really 'pylons' as they're just a pair of clamps. This is the best I've found, and the full size version that's five times the size, is at

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7454/27431340350_fd43d89969_o.jpg

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Got this one.....maybe zoom in....

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

The 'pylons' are directly under the rotor head, a sensible position for a missile that weighs well over 1000 lbs.  :o

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Army of One on April 28, 2017, 06:21:45 AM

Hmm, that's very interesting.

It looks like the missile has two boost rockets, one each side of the body. The Sea Eagle that almost destroyed my 847 test system at Shoeburyness had one single boost rocket that was mounted in-line with the jet exhaust. Maybe the Indian Navy didn't like BAe's original solution to getting the Sea Eagle to go fast enough to start its jet?

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Think you are correct Kit....

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

Reading further into Sea Eagles, it seems the twin boosters were the original idea when they wanted to make it a ship launched missile, and these were carried over the Indian Navy Sea King version too.

I guess the single, tail mounted booster was rejected during the development process. Having it fire during an impact test probably concentrated their minds on NOT using it!  ;D ;D ;D

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Army of One on April 26, 2017, 09:31:30 AM
Has a body got any images of a LIVE Sea Eagle...

Sorry, resisted as long as I could...

I'll get me coat...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..