Convair 440 Cosmopolitan

Started by McColm, May 01, 2017, 12:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The. Cosmopolitan was originally designed and built by Convair in the United States as the Convair 440 (USAF C-131). However when Convair phased out production of the Convair 440 in favour of its new jet powered airliner the design and manufacturing jigs were sold to Canadair in Montreal.
Canadair re-engined these with the Napier Eland turboprop engines and designated the aircraft the Canadair 540 /CC-109.
The Napier engines proved to be unreliable, so eight of the ten Cosmopolitans were re-engined with Allison 501-D36 turboprops.
The RCAF retired the Cosmopolitans in June 1994.
Mach2 do a range of Convair C-131/ Cosmopolitans in 1/72 scale at a reasonable price, I just need to check if any other kit manufactures produce a better model.
I can see a few possibilities on the re-engine side and to be whiffed into other roles apart from medium transport/ airliner.
As with most Mach2 kits there are issues with the fuselage halves fitting together, wings and quality control. I'm looking into the aftermarket products that can enhance this build.

McColm

Welsh Models also do a range of multi-media 1/72 vacform and white metal parts. Conversion sets for the cockpit and lengthening the fuselage to form the Samaritan.
From the kit reviews on line both manufactures have problem areas concerning the cockpit and tail fin.