Maggie Bomber -Now Finished

Started by NARSES2, May 03, 2017, 06:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 05, 2017, 06:21:24 AM
Quote from: dadlamassu on May 04, 2017, 11:01:30 PM
Like the Tiger Moth (and other aircraft) several trainers were fitted with bomb racks as part of Operation Banquet.  This was an anti-invasion measure to put every aircraft that could attack the invaders would do so. 

Very much so and they may well have had an old Lewis gun jury rigged to be fired by an "observer" in either the front or rear cockpits. I don't think they'd have had the time to sort out any interrupter gear for some forward firing m.g.'s ?

This is intended for use however in a series of carefully planned attacks where the powers that be spent a couple of months testing everything and getting it ready just in case. This was a genuine Invasion Scare plan where I've simply adapted a different aircraft from those that were actually adapted. More to come when she's finished.

You could possibly hang a Vickers K gun under each wing with the ammo pan sitting in a small cutout above it. Minimal structural change, and with a smart bracket design you could probably take the gun off to reload it without losing the zero.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

NARSES2

Background

The inspiration for this build was twofold. Firstly back in 2015 SAM had a three part article by Paul Lucas on "The Forgotten Few". This covered the attacks on the invasion barges in the Channel Ports, the role of Coastal Command in the Invasion Scare period and thirdly, the article this model is based on "Fighting Them on the Beaches". The second part of the inspiration was the release last year by RS Models of their Miles Maggister in its "Maggie Bomber" form.

Now I had always been aware that if the German's had landed on the South Coast then virtually everything would have been thrown at them on the basis that they had to be stopped from moving inland. Mobile warfare would have been very difficult for the British Army to fight at this time because of its losses in France, especially in the earlier part of the period. Indeed if memory serves then the only truly mobile force in the U.K. at the time was the Canadian Armoured Division ? Although I may well be wrong on this.

I had read in quite a few publications about the plans to arm second line and obsolescent aircraft in order to attack the beaches, with the main fighter force, or what was left of it by the time the German's considered an  invasion was possible, being held back to attack the bombers. These missions whilst not officially labelled suicidal would certainly have, in the main, been one way, but we digress.

The article was on the RAF's planned use of gas warfare in attacks on the beaches. Just two days after the conclusion of Operation Dynamo the C.I.G.S. issued a memo entitled "The Use of Gas in Home Defence". After initial resistance by the military establishment the fully detailed plan was passed to the newly installed P.M.

The plan called for the use of Mustard Gas over the beaches. This was to be sprayed using three types of container. The 250lb SCI intended for the Lysander (two to be carried), the 500lb SCI for the Blenheim and Battle and the 1,000lb SCI for use by the Wellington. The other method available was the gas bomb, available as the 30lb LC or the 250lb LC. Over the course of the summer, plans were laid, weapons manufactured and squadrons for their use chosen. By the middle of September all was ready. In the event of an invasion it would be up to the War Cabinet to decide if they were prepared to breach the Geneva Protocol and initiate chemical warfare. Thank goodness that decision never had to be made.

If you want to read more on this subject then as a starter I suggest you get hold of a copy of Paul's article (from which the information above comes) in the July 2015 issue of SAM. Indeed all 3 articles are well worth the read and offer plenty of ideas. The same issue contains a nice build of a Chemical warfare Lysander by Neil Robinson.

The Model

Colin at Freightdog had produced a small pack containing two lovely resin castings of the 250lb SCI and their carrying racks (they may actually be 500lb SCI thinking about it ?). The carrying racks were not used on this build as they would have looked out of place on a Maggister unless cut up and there was no way I was going to do that to these exquisite castings. They have been saved. I purchased these from Colin at a show but they sat in the stash awaiting something to carry them. Then RS came up with their Maggister Bomber boxing and a plan was hatched.

The Maggister was built completely out of the box and full build details can be found above. I will however again say that the whole kit depends on the accurate alignment of the cockpit interior to the floor, which is then offered up through the bottom of the fuselage. If you get it wrong then there is no way it will fit. I know you know how I know. There is also no way you can fit the seats through the tiny cockpit apertures. So that's how my model came to represent a "stripped for action Maggister" with all extraneous weight removed, including the front cockpit, in order for it to carry its payload on what was likely to be a desperate one way mission. Colours and markings are straight from the kit. The paints are my usual mix of Xtracrylic, Humbrol etc but the underside yellow is from a Halfords car accessory spray can (thanks for the advice Lee). The SCI is painted Dark Sea Grey as per the article but is mounted on a jury rigged carrier as befits what would have been a last ditched effort if the Maggisters had, had to of been used for this. The dark yellow "splodges" on the SCI are where gas detection paint has been quickly applied to areas which might leak. The same is true of the two 30lb gas bombs she also carries, actually 25lb bombs and their carriers from the kit.

So there we have it, a thorough enjoyable and fairly simple project, once I got the cockpit to fit. In all respects a real aircraft in all details other than the stripped front cockpit and its payload. Now what do I do with the other SCI and those two gorgeous bomb racks ?

Her deadly load

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Looks totally peaceful from above............  ;D

Nice build of a nice aeroplane Chris.  :thumbsup:

So is the backstory really true about the plans for chemical warfare?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Great job on this one. Love the colours and the cockpit and weapons look great.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

:bow: :bow: :drink: :cheers: :party:

Dude, this is awesome!!  Great work... I love it.   I have to say I especially love the underside!!  That yellow...  :wub: :wub: :wub: 

Considering the nature of the beast, having read the back story, it makes perfect sense. Being an ally and seeing this fly overhead the yellow would serve as warning. --If she looks to be decreasing altitude and going in for a run I'd throw on my gas mask and head for higher ground!
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 20, 2017, 08:06:49 AM

Every word Kit. The SAM article came as a complete suprise to me and I did a little more research.

The only thing wiffy about this build is the fact that I've changed the armament on this Magister from 8 x 25lb bombs to the gas spray unit and bombs.

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 20, 2017, 06:48:11 PM

Considering the nature of the beast, having read the back story, it makes perfect sense. Being an ally and seeing this fly overhead the yellow would serve as warning. --If she looks to be decreasing altitude and going in for a run I'd throw on my gas mask and head for higher ground!

The yellow sides and undersides were the standard colours on RAF trainers during WWII
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 21, 2017, 08:05:03 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 20, 2017, 08:06:49 AM

Every word Kit. The SAM article came as a complete suprise to me and I did a little more research.

The only thing wiffy about this build is the fact that I've changed the armament on this Magister from 8 x 25lb bombs to the gas spray unit and bombs.

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 20, 2017, 06:48:11 PM

The yellow sides and undersides were the standard colours on RAF trainers during WWII

I'll be!  Well that's a happy coincidence this! Mustard Yellow belly.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Glenn Gilbertson

Great work - it looks very convincing. :thumbsup:

loupgarou

Pretty plane and thanks for the historical background I ignored.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.