RAuxAF Folland Gnatt F.1 Now Finished

Started by NARSES2, May 03, 2017, 06:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Box and contents

Initial assemblies done

From the above pic. to the one below took all of 15 minutes the fit was that good

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Snowtrooper

I have always wondered how on earth did the designers manage to cram the ADEN cannons in the jet intake walls :o

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Snowtrooper on May 03, 2017, 10:09:04 AM

I have always wondered how on earth did the designers manage to cram the ADEN cannons in the jet intake walls :o

The gun mechanism is mounted quite a bit aft of the muzzle, about where the fuselage is at its maximum width. In the meantime the intake trunking has swing inwards toward the engine, leaving some spare space on each side.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Hmm, I might have to get me one of those...  Gnat's are always good Chris!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on May 04, 2017, 04:15:27 AM

It's a lovely kit mate, probably the best fitting I've ever built.

They do a couple of boxing''s and from the look of what's left on the sprue's plan a couple more.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Indeed yes. Both the weapons load out and the extra bits for the bang seat suggest an Ajeet is most definitely on the way.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on May 04, 2017, 04:15:27 AM

I'm with you there Simon, would go just right with the Midge and Gnat I already have.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Librarian

I've always been highly impressed with any kit I've built by Special Hobby. Nice to see a Gnat getting the treatment...wonder if they'll do a boxing of "The Navy" film tie-in ;D

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Quote from: Librarian on May 04, 2017, 09:26:59 AM
I've always been highly impressed with any kit I've built by Special Hobby.

Some, especially the earlier ones can take a bit of work and sometimes the guy who tooled the resin was obviously not on speaking terms with the guy who tooled the plastic, but this in all honesty takes them to a new level. I've read good reviews of their Mirage series but the type doesn't interest me so can't comment. If they are anywhere near the quality of this one then they are surely the Mirages to have however.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 05, 2017, 06:06:06 AM
Quote from: Librarian on May 04, 2017, 09:26:59 AM
I've always been highly impressed with any kit I've built by Special Hobby.

Some, especially the earlier ones can take a bit of work and sometimes the guy who tooled the resin was obviously not on speaking terms with the guy who tooled the plastic, but this in all honesty takes them to a new level. I've read good reviews of their Mirage series but the type doesn't interest me so can't comment. If they are anywhere near the quality of this one then they are surely the Mirages to have however.
I have a few in the stash.  Most look pretty good except a Blohm & Voss P.194 which has dubious (piston) engine detail.  I have an Airfix FW 190 nose chucked into the box to replace it.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Main camouflage, and touch ups, done. Now need to mask up the myriad of small panels and lumps and bumps that need to be different colours, you don't get that problem with most WWII aircraft  :angel:

NARSES2

All the small panels are painted and I've started to put the transfers on her  :thumbsup:

Now need to find out if the final finish should be gloss or semi-gloss ?

NARSES2

Transfers done and boy do I hate serials that have to be done from individual letters/numbers  :banghead:

Need to get the undercarriage on now which looks nice and robust but may be a little fiddly to fit ? I'll leave this until Sunday when I can sit down and concentrate on it. Mind you Palace have a very important game at midday which may make my brain wander ?

I've even started to research a few bits for the backstory  ;)