Avro Albany B Mk2 (Project Wrathchild) - finished pics page 9

Started by zenrat, May 04, 2017, 03:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Thanks Brian.
Glued some bombs together today, attached the bomb racks, painted them and attached scoops and flame dampers to the engines which I really should have glued on BEFORE I painted.  Also glued the dorsal turret together.
Put the props together having already modified the mountings by fitting a tube inside the nacelles so I can make them a slide in fit to allow removal for transport.  Revell provide two sets of props.  Wide paddle blades and narrower ones.  I used the narrower ones.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

More paint on the bomb shackles and bomb bay doors and started painting the turret.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

DogfighterZen

Somehow i was looking at this as a heavy fighter-bomber in the Mosquito/Beaufighter or even P-38 Lightining category... Imagine that with a single seat cockpit and bubble canopy... ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

One of the ideas I had involved making it an anti shipping strike aircraft with a Really Big Gun mounted with the breach in the bomb bay.
I also contemplated a solid nose version with a heap of 303s in front and package guns on the sides.
Oh, and a torpedo bomber version. 

Painted the canopy frames today.  Revell have moulded them at what looks like accurate scale width.  This makes them exceedingly tricky to paint neatly.  So I didn't bother.  I painted then messily and when the (acrylic) paint is dry I will carefully scrape off the excess with a toothpick.
Fred

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on July 09, 2017, 04:28:56 AM
One of the ideas I had involved making it an anti shipping strike aircraft with a Really Big Gun mounted with the breach in the bomb bay.
I also contemplated a solid nose version with a heap of 303s in front and package guns on the sides.
Oh, and a torpedo bomber version. 

Painted the canopy frames today.  Revell have moulded them at what looks like accurate scale width.  This makes them exceedingly tricky to paint neatly.  So I didn't bother.  I painted then messily and when the (acrylic) paint is dry I will carefully scrape off the excess with a toothpick.

Great ideas there! And that toothpick method does work, i did that on a few canopies before and, here's a weird coincidence, just did that today on my Bf-109's canopy, which had a bit of paint from when i airbrushed a freehand camo scheme on it and it really did the trick, although it does nothing to disguise the scratches and CA damage it already had from the initial build...  :rolleyes:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

I to have used the sharpened toothpick trick to clean up canopy frames and for some reason find it works better if the toothpick point is wet/damp ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 09, 2017, 06:11:35 AM
I to have used the sharpened toothpick trick to clean up canopy frames and for some reason find it works better if the toothpick point is wet/damp ?

Yup, seems like it pulls out the paint better and smoother, but you do lose the pointy end after a bit and it gets harder to get to sharp corners... at least it happened to me when i did that.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 09, 2017, 06:41:02 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 09, 2017, 06:11:35 AM

Yup, seems like it pulls out the paint better and smoother, but you do lose the pointy end after a bit and it gets harder to get to sharp corners... at least it happened to me when i did that.

That's why toothpicks come in packets of 100.................  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 09, 2017, 12:29:38 PM
That's why toothpicks come in packets of 100.................  ;D ;)

You were saying...? ;D

zenrat

Blunt toothpicks can easilly be resharpened on a piece of wet & dry.

Fred

TheChronicOne

All this obvious stuff about toothpicks that never occurred to me..   Well, wetting them down isn't -as- obvious, but sharpening them should have been...    numerous times I was putting aside a more blunt pick and trying to find sharper ones and still falling short. More good stuff to remember for "next time."
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Toothpicks are good and versatile modelling tools and also, a very cool bmx trick that can perform rhinoplasty or give you a dental revision very quickly...  :wacko:

Toothpick gring down a rail by rider Sean Morr. :thumbsup:

zenrat

Way back when we had cable TV we had a channel called "Extreme" which consisted of nothing but BMX, skateboarding, freestyle motocross, snowboarding, that sort of stuff.
I used to watch the BMX shows and wonder if I could have done the same when I was young and stupid.
It's probably lucky that I was a few years too old to have got my hands on a BMX when I was a kid 'cause I think I would have come some serious croppers.

Toothpicks and clothes pegs are prolly my most used non-modelling modelling tools.

Scraped surplus paint off the canopies, blister and turret of this today.  Looks good (though I say so myself) with very very fine frames.  Far finer than I could have achieved any other way (except maybe very very painstaking masking).
Also painted the scoops and flame dampers I had forgotten to attach to the engines so its ready for satin clear tomorrow.
Fred

DogfighterZen

Well, judging by your modelling, i think you're seriously deranged...  ;) And that's always a good attribute for this sport so, i think you'd probably have a good share of platinum inside your body after a few years, just like a lot of us BMXers... But i can assure you, you'd have a load of fun in between recovery periods... ;D :thumbsup:
Looking back on it, i guess i could've avoided some injuries but, they healed up good and give me no pain... for now, at least... i have more problems with the wrist i broke while driving an old, almost brakeless Massey-Ferguson 135 tractor at work... :banghead:

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 10, 2017, 08:34:46 AM
but, they healed up good and give me no pain... for now, at least...

That was exactly the way I felt in my 20's when I ignored the "if you continue to play football with that knee problem" lecture from the Doctor. 40 years latter and boy does it let me know it's there. Do I regret not giving up playing ? Of course not  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.