Avro Albany B Mk2 (Project Wrathchild) - finished pics page 9

Started by zenrat, May 04, 2017, 03:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

I might be getting this wrong, my minds image might differ from reality, so apologies if I do. Could you offset the nose gear to one side? I think it's something that several aircraft have done (HS Trident?). You could have the gear retract forwards or rear wards. Then have the bomb aimer along side? Not sure how much space there is but (again minds eye) I think it could work.
secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

I didn't think of that Cavey, but I think that the nose would be too narrow.
I cut the whole lot off today and glued it back on upside down (in reality not that simple due to the fuselage being wider at the bottom than the top).  The bomb aimers pimple will go at the top sticking out like a nose and I will use parts of the front turret to fair in the gap below.  Before cutting a hole in it for the nose wheel.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Painting of small parts today plus some adjustments to the nose parts I glued on yesterday to make them wide enough at the front for the bomb aimers fish bowl.
I'm trying a slightly different mix of colours on the instrument panel and put a wash on it today.  It looks quite good even though I say it myself.
Talk of tail sitting Marauders in the AXU-Profiles thread has reminded me i'll need to find room in the nose of this for some ballast.  Could be tricky.  Hopefully there will be space under the floor next to the nose gear bay (I have yet to build).  Failing that i'll put it in the bomb bay.  I may regret gluing the engines on so soon.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Fred

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

Captain Canada

oh yeah...that looks right !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Ah ha!! Almost slipped this one past me!!

Looking good and up to awesome standards as usual!  I really like the shape of this bad boy.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 20, 2017, 04:48:45 PM
...I really like the shape of this bad boy.

You might not say that now with it's new "pimple nose" look.  :o
I'll try to get some pics.

Fred

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on May 20, 2017, 05:41:26 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on May 20, 2017, 04:48:45 PM
...I really like the shape of this bad boy.

You might not say that now with it's new "pimple nose" look.  :o
I'll try to get some pics.

Could be right, and having recently been looking at Grumman Albatross pics I think I know what a pimple nose looks like.   ;D ;D   Awkward!

I dunno though, what I was liking about this so far is that it looks very "busy" up front but the back, with the "taper" looks sleek and "sexy." I keep thinking of the B-25 Mitchell for some reason although this is quite different.. I don't know, maybe it's the over-all appeal and look or something.. the Mitchell struck a certain "this looks great" chord and so has this. 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Here you go.  Imagine a perspex pimple at the top of the nose.

And then I added the mid upper turret hole and started to fair in the bottom half of the nose.

Horizontal tails are deffo too long and will be shortened.

Mitchell?  Well if you remember that was the start of all this shenanigans.  I had the urge to build an Airfix Mitchell but didn't have one and couldn't find a cheap one.  It's therefore not surprising if it looks a bit Mitchelly.
Fred

TheChronicOne

Oh yeah I do remember now, that's right!!  I guess we've come full circle. Coincidentally that same bit of conversation was what lead me to the "you snuck this pass me" bit because I had thought you cancelled your plans for a bomber completely. Glad to see otherwise, for sure!  :lol: :lol:

For myself... no bombers for awhile...   :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Slightly odd shape on the @r$e end but she wouldn't be the 1st plane to have an odd shaped butt.

The "pimple" nose looks OK to me.

Overall, looking very good! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

The rear of the fuselage is that way because, ummmmm, errrrrrrr, ummmmmmmm, to give a better field of fire to the mid upper turret to compensate for the lack of a tail turret.  Or something.

Trimmed the horizontal tails today.  Couldn't take too much off without losing a hinge but they are shorter moving the vertical tails into the propwash more.
Also completely closed up one side of the nose.  When the glue has dried I will fill the section under the bombardiers floor with a mixture of liquid gravity and epoxy before closing it up completely and beginning PSR on the fuselage.
Fred

Old Wombat

This build has me thinking about a Griffon-powered Manchester ... Not that I'll ever build it, but it has me thinking! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est