Should we "REST" GB categories ?

Started by NARSES2, May 09, 2017, 07:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should a Group Build subject be rested for a period once it has appeared in the Seasons schedule ?

Rest it for 1 Season
8 (26.7%)
Rest it for 2 Seasons
18 (60%)
No - it should be eligeble to take part in the next Seasons vote
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: May 23, 2017, 07:48:34 AM

NARSES2

Right this question was raised during the recent GB Poll and I promised to put it to the general vote of the membership.

Some very similar GB subjects seem to win their way into the schedule every year or so and it was suggested that we should perhaps rest a subject for a season or two once it has been the subject of a GB in order to give some of the others a chance.

So here's the vote. Two weeks to decide.

Thanks for your attention

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Voted.  I've got another suggestion, many GB's that don't fare well are put back into the fold automatically, I think they should have to be proposed again.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

I'm on the fence, but if it's a popular build and people want to continue then why not  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

There's an easy way to sort this, do like they do on The Airfix Tribute Forum.  As I've noticed on the polls we have many of the suggestions just don't get any support and it's the same over on that forum. So they run multiple votes, first one has a mass of suggestions which is voted on and then the top twenty (maybe) go through to the next round. This whittles the suggestions down to a few for the last round.

But to answer your question, there's many that get added to your list which don't even attract a single vote, not even one from the person who made the suggestion. So yes many suggestions should be dropped, not for a couple of years either -----

I've not voted here because there's not an option for what I said just above
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sandiego89

Voted. Thanks for putting this together. I second Mossies idea for fresh nominations every year, or propose at least purge those that got 0-2 votes. There are a few pet ideas that will never get many votes.  If someone really has the passion to do an obscure build they can do it independently.

I'm firmly in the pause camp. I'm lucky to do 3 builds a year, so don't want to do the same themes every year. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on May 09, 2017, 09:46:55 AM
Voted.  I've got another suggestion, many GB's that don't fare well are put back into the fold automatically, I think they should have to be proposed again.

I include them because they've been proposed by someone previously. I personally have no problem with only including fresh proposals. although I'll have money some still get nil or almost nil "points".
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 09, 2017, 10:58:17 AM
As I've noticed on the polls we have many of the suggestions just don't get any support and it's the same over on that forum. So they run multiple votes, first one has a mass of suggestions which is voted on and then the top twenty (maybe) go through to the next round. This whittles the suggestions down to a few for the last round.

Yet more time and effort mate and I'm sorry but that's something that I'm not prepared to commit to. It takes me enough of my time doing the things I do already and I have a lot of other hobbies and interests to occupy my time with as well. My life may also see some changes in the next 12 months or so which could impact on the time I have available as well.

I can see the benefits behind such a system but if the membership want to see it here then I'm afraid someone else will have to take on the responsibility for organising the GB's, or at least sorting out what they will be. Glad to help out, but that's it.

Chris

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 09, 2017, 12:24:57 PM
Quote from: Mossie on May 09, 2017, 09:46:55 AM

I include them because they've been proposed by someone previously. I personally have no problem with only including fresh proposals. although I'll have money some still get nil or almost nil "points".

I mentioned it for a few reasons, one is it' s a bit less work on you Chris, and another is I proposed the Gerry Anderson GB in, oh, 2007 or 8 and it still goes in the pot! ;D  But in the back of my head the real reasons just popped up and that's that some old ones that don't have much chance mop up votes that might go on others.  I don't think you'll avoid ones that get very low votes, but it's fair to include every proposal as just occasionally, (the flying boat GB comes to mind), we get a surprise result and that's welcome  Also, there's no problem with someone re-proposing something.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on May 09, 2017, 01:30:53 PM
But in the back of my head the real reasons just popped up and that's that some old ones that don't have much chance mop up votes that might go on others.  I don't think you'll avoid ones that get very low votes, but it's fair to include every proposal as just occasionally, (the flying boat GB comes to mind), we get a surprise result and that's welcome  Also, there's no problem with someone re-proposing something.

That's a very good point mate and it's duly noted.

I've made a note in my ever increasingly thick folder  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 09, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
As I've noticed on the polls we have many of the suggestions just don't get any support and it's the same over on that forum. So they run multiple votes, first one has a mass of suggestions which is voted on and then the top twenty (maybe) go through to the next round. This whittles the suggestions down to a few for the last round.

Yet more time and effort mate and I'm sorry but that's something that I'm not prepared to commit to. It takes me enough of my time doing the things I do already and I have a lot of other hobbies and interests to occupy my time with as well. My life may also see some changes in the next 12 months or so which could impact on the time I have available as well.

I can see the benefits behind such a system but if the membership want to see it here then I'm afraid someone else will have to take on the responsibility for organising the GB's, or at least sorting out what they will be. Glad to help out, but that's it.

Chris

Right I was a little jaded with Moderating last night for various reasons but after a good nights sleep I've had a think about it and coupled with Mossie's suggestion it's doable. I've made a note to look at a preliminary round next year which means I'll need to kick the process off a little earlier but's that no problem.

Apologies for being tetchy.

Chris

zenrat

...many that get added to your list which don't even attract a single vote, not even one from the person who made the suggestion...

I make a list through the year (just added the first new idea to this years list) which I then dump into the thread where Chris asks for suggestions.  There will be more than five so I am unable to vote for all of them (well, not without risking the wrath of Chris anyway) plus there are usually one or two suggested by others that I like better than some of my own.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

With some experience through former GB topics, I also vote for a topic "break" - but on the other side, if you do not want to join the theme, just don't. And, on the other side, there frequently a way to put a twisted build under a specific topic, if need or desire be. No easy way to handle things, though. Staged voting might be a good way, but I recognize the effort and esp. the time behind this procedure.

loupgarou

Excuse my silly question, but with "season" do you mean an year or something else?
Concerning the number of entries in the list, instead of carrying over everything from the previous poll, why not exclude the subjects that received a number of votes lower than X? EXCEPT if re-proposed by a member. It would drop old ideas nobody is really interested in anymore.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on May 10, 2017, 07:47:25 AM
Excuse my silly question, but with "season" do you mean an year or something else?

Not silly at all, but my use of an English colloquialism.

By season I mean one year of GB's. So the we would not repeat the same subject for either one or two years depending on the result of the vote.

Chris

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.