#1 DONE +++ 1:72 Avia C-2 (Arado Ar 96) of the Israeli Air Force, 1948

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 10, 2017, 11:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

The GB will just come in time for a recently inspired build (by The Wooksta): what if Israel had not only imported the Avia S.199 (the Mezek, the indigenous Bf 109 derivative with a Jumo engine) but also other types for the young nation's air arm? The C-2 trainer would be a very good and plausible candidate, and I was able to organize a Heller kit for this build that will shed some light over the early Israeli Air Force.

No major conversions planned, just the basic aircraft in a makeshift camouflage when thrown into action.

As a retro-addition: the box shot:

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), "02-ב" of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tajeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Wooksta!

The KP kit would be better, as it has features unique to the Czech built aircraft.  Having said that, the Heller kit is an absolute beauty and builds very nicely.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

I have built the KP kit many moons ago, and it's nice - if not a bit crude, like all the original KP kits. I was curious about the Heller Ar 96, since many vintage Heller kits have very good fit and delicate detail - just raised panel lines. I've found a 2nd hand kit, complete with just some loose parts, and it looks great. Really looking forward to build this one, and I also have already some marking/livery ideas.

The Wooksta!

Don't change the kit, change the story.  The French produced the Arado 96 during the war I *think* but I'm not sure if they produced it postwar.  If they did, then the Isrealis got them from the French rather than the Czechs.

The French certainly produced the Arado 396 after the war.  The Czechs built 5 then scrapped them.  Again, that's another one for the Isrealis.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

I'll probably stick with a Czech source, in the wake of the S.199 deliveries.

TheChronicOne

Yes yes!!! Clapping emoticon here.........      I love this idea... I lover trainers... I love IAF stuff.......former German/Avia crossover stuff... neat. 

I can't wait to see it!
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Slowly warming up. Dug out the kit and one donor part that will be applied: a three blade propeller (due to the higher ambient temperatures).

Dizzyfugu

Things started moving. Beautiful kit, goes together like a charm. Working on additional cockpit interior details (extra side wall ribs), a styrene tube for the new three blade propeller, and I decided to lower the flaps and the slats, since this is easy to realize and should improve the looks considerably.

Some impressions from day #1:

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), "02-ב" of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tajeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), "09-2ב" of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tajeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Fuselage halves closed, stabilizer, and, morning of day #2, wings in place, too. Looks like an aircraft!

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

That's looking good already Thomas.  :thumbsup:

You're dead right about the fit of the earlier Heller kits, and that one looks pretty neat.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

It's great. I also like the delicate surface structure - I just came across some (self-induced, though - somehow the cockpit floor ended up a tad lower tha it should be, and now the wing section does not fit 100% anymore) issues with the wing/fuselage intersection. I am really afraid of killing the delicate, raised panel lines with PSR work.

Besides, an engine dummy (just a vertical, small blob of plastic) was added behind the cooling air intake, and the oil cooler will be enlarged, too, as a match for the new, hotter environment. I will also add wing pylons and a pair of 50kg bombs, since this one will be a makeshift CAS aircraft, converted from a trainer more or less upon delivery and thrown into battle in the Independence War.

Dizzyfugu

Thank you, but painting (soon to commence) will be the more challenging part, because I want to finish this one in a makeshift desert camouflage, applied hastily over the delivery scheme.

Anyway, more from today's work, starting with additional PSR work around the wing/fuselage intersections:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The scratched, enlarged oil cooler under the engine. The engine block dummy can also be seen from this perspective:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A little later, some interior inside of the landing gear wells was added, struts are in place as well as the scrathced underwing pylons, too:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Windscreen (canopy was cut into single pieces for display purposes) in place, as well as the machine gun for the armed trainer version. Antennae were added, as well as the lowered flaps.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Basic exterior painting to start soon.  :mellow: