Trumpy's F-107; a lot of potential (out of box)

Started by Faust, May 17, 2017, 02:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

When it comes to aircraft, I do tend to have a bit of a love affair with the obscure. I like planes that are a bit "unfamous" and am particularly fond of planes that a lot of people either haven't heard of or haven't thought of in a while!  I also love protypes and paper projects, or planes that only saw very limited service.

There's a lot of potential for what-iffery in models of planes that barely existed. The problem is that because these planes are pretty obscure, it's not easy to find good injection moulded kits of them! That's why I was pleased to get my hands on one of Trumpeter's F-107A kits. The Ultra Sabre was a neat looking plane, and the fact that I've personally seen the one at the Dayton Air Force Museum made me even more excited to get one.

I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do with it; I've got a lot of ideas in my head for this one! Before I get there, though, I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at a kit which, while it seemed to make a stir when it first was announced, seems to me to have faded into relative obscurity.
Check out this odd choice for a mainline release at the link below, and if you've got any ideas for what I could do with it, let me know. Right now, I'm thinking West German ground support aircraft!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/trumpeter-172-f-107a-oob/

KiwiZac

West German sounds good! Tornado IDS camo, yummy!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

An awesome looking aeroplane for sure.  :thumbsup:

Doing one in a Viet Nam scheme is a tad hackneyed, I've seen three done like that, but how about an IDF one?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Green Danish, look so good with the red and white roundels.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Faust

Yeah, I was thinking of the IDS cammo. A 'what if' if the Germans had bought the 107 instead of the 104.

Even Marineflieger would be cool, with Kormoran missiles.

Never thought of the Israelis. That's a great idea!

I'm not sure everything looks better in lozenge, but it's a definitely interesting idea! :)

zenrat

IMO Israeli is as hackneyed as SEA.
How about South American or African?  Peru have used some great schemes and you can't go wrong with Chad.    :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

How about inverting the intake?  Top intakes tend to get blanketed at higher angles of attack.  Lower intakes are better for manoeuvrability,  which is why the F-16 adopted one.   Of course, it is also easier to escape from an aircraft with a lower intake than a dorsal one.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Luftwaffe Norm '72 splinter scheme would be a suitable option.

French Air Force would also be a weird option, as a replacement for the F-100s? Some neat tactical schemes available, too.

Cobra

The F-107 looks like something You'd See in an Episode of Thunderbirds,Captain scarlet,or Joe 90. How about going Gerry Anderson with it? just an Idea for You to Consider. Dan

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 17, 2017, 03:47:42 PM
Green Danish, look so good with the red and white roundels.

I reckon that would throw some people if you put that on a club stand.

I like the idea of a French one  :thumbsup: Pakistani, again instead of their 104's ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Who else used the F-100? Maybe they upgraded to the F-107 afterwards?

zenrat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on May 18, 2017, 01:39:52 AM
Who else used the F-100? Maybe they upgraded to the F-107 afterwards?

Other than those mentioned already RoC and Turkey also used the F-100.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Japan was interested in an upgraded F-100 so that might give you a shoe-in for the F-107.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on May 17, 2017, 10:41:41 PM
How about inverting the intake?  Top intakes tend to get blanketed at higher angles of attack.  Lower intakes are better for manoeuvrability,  which is why the F-16 adopted one.   Of course, it is also easier to escape from an aircraft with a lower intake than a dorsal one.   :thumbsup:

But the intake is what makes the thing so cool!  ;)

IIRC NA did a design with a belly intake for the F-100 and rejected it in favour of the dorsal intake for the -107, but I can't remember why. I doubt 'coolness' had anything to do with it though.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit