Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup

Started by KiwiZac, May 20, 2017, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

I don't know how accurate the colour is (I don't really care, either) but it looks perfect! :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I'm really enjoying watching this come together mate. Excellent work.

P.S. I ordered the D.VII yesterday.....the bank manager will find out tomorrow  ;) ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

And SWMBO when the c/card bill arrives in the mail...

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on June 26, 2017, 01:41:27 AM

Haven't had that problem for a long time mate  ;) ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 26, 2017, 06:25:53 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on June 26, 2017, 01:41:27 AM

Haven't had that problem for a long time mate  ;) ;D

Oh, okay then - one bullet dodged!  ;)

Mossie

Enjoying the progressposts Zac, she looks lovely.  Like Chris, I'm sorely tempted to buy one (a Snipe, or maybe a D.V, saying that I like the look of the forthcoming Taube) but finances are tight.  Maybe I can sell some of the stash to fund it.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KiwiZac

Thanks all! It really is as simple as "follow the instructions". That said, the rigging in the tail around the tailskid wasn't in the instructions...when I saw photos of how busy the real deal is back there I couldn't resist. Will try and get a photo to show the extra string I've put in.

Regards the paint - for the vast majority of this build I've been following the Tamiya paint callouts given in the instructions. The PC-10 they suggest is XF-62 Olive Drab, and it works fine for me! You can't tell - or maybe this was before? - but the upper surface of the fuselage has had a dosage of Humbrol Matt Cote while the sides will get some Gloss Cote before I do the decals. The underside has a nasty seam so needs some PSR before being presentable.

You won't regret buying a WNW kit. I keep hearing the D.VII and Pup are pretty ideal starters, if you haven't done rigging then the Taube may be asking for trouble!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KiwiZac on June 27, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

........extra string

I love it, describes pretty well all WWI aircraft to me.  :wub: :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2017, 04:25:07 PM
Enjoying the progressposts Zac, she looks lovely.  Like Chris, I'm sorely tempted to buy one (a Snipe, or maybe a D.V, saying that I like the look of the forthcoming Taube) but finances are tight.  Maybe I can sell some of the stash to fund it.....

Second that.  Although i'd be tempted by a Bristol Fighter.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on June 28, 2017, 02:56:24 AM
Quote from: Mossie on June 27, 2017, 04:25:07 PM

Second that.  Although i'd be tempted by a Bristol Fighter.

+1 & especially the Brisfit (I have one in 1/48 in the stash but always find myself tempted to buy more)! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: KiwiZac on June 27, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

Regards the paint - for the vast majority of this build I've been following the Tamiya paint callouts given in the instructions. The PC-10 they suggest is XF-62 Olive Drab,

You won't regret buying a WNW kit. I keep hearing the D.VII and Pup are pretty ideal starters, if you haven't done rigging then the Taube may be asking for trouble!

There's as much controversy about WWI colours, if not more, then any other historical paint scheme. Indeed there was probably even more local variation than in WWII. Plus no colour photos, or only a very tiny number to compare to.  So go with what looks right  :thumbsup:

As for the Taube ? Wing warping = even more wires, so I think I'll give it a miss. The see through linen could be fun as well although I think WNW have made an attempt to show this ?

My D VII arrived this morning  :wub: :wub:

Mossie

Think your right about the Taube, I've just always liked it's birdlike looks!  Mmmm, Brisfit... :wub:  Talking of blunt noses, I've always had a soft spot for the SE.5A too.  Decisions, decisions, made moot by a lack of cash! :-\
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

KiwiZac

The SE.5a was their very first kit and is on my list. Brisfit not so much - never been a big fan, despite TVAL having an airworthy original one 3.5hr from me - but that's another WNW opportunity for someone.

Chris - colour me green with envy! Which flavour did you go with? I'm thinking Albatros because TVAL's one is painted as such.

As promised, more string! Using a friend's walkaround of the two TVAL repros as a reference I strung it up, as really I had no excuse not to  8) Please excuse the underside paint - a preliminary coat to see if my PSR paid off (it did).

Yesterday I got off work early so spent a bit more time on the Pup. Part of this was dryfitting the turtledeck. The fit's not great so there's some investigation to be done before it goes on for good.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Arrrrggghh! More photobucket ransomware.

Curse them.

Fred