Wanted: 1:72 Buccaneer

Started by RAFF-35, June 03, 2017, 12:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2017, 08:03:24 AM
Quote from: JayBee on June 07, 2017, 08:41:04 AM
I have always thought of the "Old" Airfix kit as the NA-39 that they originally issued.

Is that the one that had the box top illustration of the Zero's crashing in flames on it  ;)

I think Chris that was the MPC boxing
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

I'm certain there was an Airfix boxing as well mate ? Can't think I'd have seen the MPC one ? Mind you memory + age sometimes = confusion  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2017, 09:16:42 AM

I'm certain there was an Airfix boxing as well mate ? Can't think I'd have seen the MPC one ? Mind you memory + age sometimes = confusion  :angel:

One of the later Airfix boxings certainly was like that.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

That is hilarious...seriously, is that genuine?

Maybe inspired some writer to whack out "The Final Countdown"...you never know :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on June 09, 2017, 11:59:04 AM
That is hilarious...seriously, is that genuine?

Maybe inspired some writer to whack out "The Final Countdown"...you never know :wacko:

It really is genuine. The original box just had the NA39 flying over the stern of HMS Ark Royal (I think.....) but later on they came out with this. It's true that MPC put out the first boxing with the Zeros on it, but for some reason Airfix adopted it later on.

There was something odd about the '...by Craft Master...' boxings, but I can't remember what it was. Anyone remember?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 09, 2017, 11:44:27 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2017, 09:16:42 AM

One of the later Airfix boxings certainly was like that.

Airfix Craftmaster is/was MPC, they produced ex-Airfix kits. But that is the boxing I was thinking of though, got one in the stash too.

Kit, this is out of the 'Big Book'.

MPC began in the early 60's with 1/24 cars and entered the aircraft field in 1965-67 by issuing ex-Airfix kits under the Airfix Craftmaster logo. In 1968 the Craftmaster logo was dropped and the MPC logo used until 1978. Three years later General Mills (USA parent company of MPC) purchaced Airfix and these kits appeared again with the MPC logo until Ertl purchased all MPC assets in 1985. Ertl chose not to continue the arrangement with Airfix.

The book then says all MPC and Airfix Craftmaster are considered 'collectables'
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

One has to presume that the Zeros were all shot down by AAA. There's no way an NA39, or a Buccaneer, could have managed it.

Perhaps they allowed the Zero to get up REALLY close and then smashed them flat with the previously opened air brakes?  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Looks like the Zero got a few hits in as are those bullet holes in the Bucc's starboard wing root leading edge?

It is at times like this I remember the old joke, where did the FAA keep their Buccaneers?

Under their buccan-hats.

Eye thang ewe.  A joke so terrible al qaida just rang and claimed responsibility.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 09, 2017, 06:00:46 PM

Looks like the Zero got a few hits in as are those bullet holes in the Bucc's starboard wing root leading edge?

No self respecting Buccaneer would notice a 'few hits', they'd need a tactical nuke just to singe the paint!  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Perhaps then they are bullets flattened against the unobtanium skin...
:mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2017, 12:56:59 AM

Perhaps then they are bullets flattened against the unobtanium skin...
:mellow:

Could be right there Fred, but Buccs don't have 'skin', they're forged from solid billets of unobtanium shipped up the Humber by heavy-lift ships........  ;D ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That's the box art I was thinking of kit  :thumbsup: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.