Japanese P-47

Started by Librarian, June 07, 2017, 04:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

An idea I've been toying with for ages, it seems. Built it in my head several times but finally biting the bullet. A sort of pocket-battleship single-engine B-25 thingy ;D. Most of the ventral and rear area of the fuselage on the P-47 is pipes/ducting etc so I thought it would be fun to build in a shallow weapons bay for bomblets/parafrags/Mk.46ish torpedoes (fit nicely too). Open up the cockpit, and with a rear fuselage and ventral hatch for an overworked gunner:

Probably going to be a slow build but I'll post updates as and when :thumbsup:

scooter

So...Proto-Skyraider, with waist gunners?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

loupgarou

If you add a turret too, you'll have an Avenger!  :lol:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Librarian

Turret sounds good but I'm going to keep it all hand-held.

I think she's heading more towards the idea of a Shturmovic on steroids...this is all part of an alternate world and history I've been edging towards, nothing to do with our own history. I like the idea of this aircraft in Japanese markings but on the outskirts of Moscow :wacko:.

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Skis for Moscow surely?

It's sort of like a single engined multiplace de combat aircraft. 
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Going to be watching this! ;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Librarian

Going to have to put some serious effort into the interior...bulkheads, ribbing etc. I should source some 1/48 plans for the P-47 as it would certainly help cutting/shaping those items to the interior contours. I love Mk.1 eyeball but it can be a strain.

Going to do something similar to a Tamiya Beaufighter...with a glass-nose. Why do I do it to myself :banghead:

Might calm myself with a straightforward build in the meantime...I've a got a gorgeous Special Hobby 1/48 IMAM Ro-57 in the stash crying out to be built.

scooter

Quote from: Librarian on June 08, 2017, 03:21:01 AMGoing to do something similar to a Tamiya Beaufighter...with a glass-nose. Why do I do it to myself :banghead:

Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

scooter

Quote from: Librarian on June 08, 2017, 03:21:01 AM
Going to have to put some serious effort into the interior...bulkheads, ribbing etc. I should source some 1/48 plans for the P-47 as it would certainly help cutting/shaping those items to the interior contours. I love Mk.1 eyeball but it can be a strain.

Full size here

Hope this helps.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

Librarian

Thank you....looking at that I've realised I'll have to move the fuel tanks. I'm using the bubble canopied version but that cutaway certainly helps determine where the 'skeleton' goes :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

What a neat idea ! loads of room in there eh ? Great job so far !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Librarian

Every now and then a mental pedigree turns into a physical pooch...this is more the offspring of Greebo and the anonymous, surprised bear ;D. Great fun and I will finish it but  :banghead: Taken days just to cut, sand and test-fit ad infinitum the canopy but now looking OK.

I'll post some pictures when feeling less ashamed :smiley:

Captain Canada

It happens. It's probably the biggest roadblock on my whiffing journey, the build never matches the vision, or pales to it.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?