A better career for the B-32 Dominator?

Started by Default Setting, June 09, 2017, 12:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Default Setting

The Consolidated B-32 Dominator was a fallback design in case the B-29 proved unsatisfactory, and since that wasn't the case, it remained an also-ran with a low production run, a short career and unresolved issues (such as trouble with the pressurization system). But what if it had had its chance, perhaps by being cleared for export? (specifically, I'm thinking of it being purchased by a China that doesn't go Communist and is in its own state of cold war with the USSR, but any other country will do). Would later versions have solved the various problems?
The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

sandiego89

I do have a soft spot for the B-32, and think it would be an excellent WHIF subject, and like most other designs that had problems, they too likely would have been rectified, or least worked around. 

There would likely be some reluctance to export a heavy bomber to some countries, but with a few WHIF wand waving perhaps there could be:

-USSR lend lease- Eastern front drags on, give the Soviet allies a product deemed inferior than the B-29 (like was done for the Cobra)
-UK. instead of the B-29 Washington's.
-France, after D-day, but things drag on, but French aviation industry has been decimated & rendered obsolete.
-Late 40's, Argentina, Brazil, Canada- to replace tired Lancasters.
-US Navy as a Privateer replacement for long range patrol. Would look great in glossy blue.
-Isreali- would look great in sand and spinach!
-Firebomber
-Tanker
-Radar picket like a EC-121
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Snowtrooper

Most importantly, keep the original name - "Terminator".

Then they decided it didn't sound enough like freedom, so they came up with the most certainly democratic-sounding "Dominator". :rolleyes:

KJ_Lesnick

Default Setting

QuoteThe Consolidated B-32 Dominator was a fallback design in case the B-29 proved unsatisfactory, and since that wasn't the case, it remained an also-ran with a low production run, a short career and unresolved issues (such as trouble with the pressurization system).
What caused the pressurization problems out of curiosity?

Snowtrooper

QuoteMost importantly, keep the original name - "Terminator".
I agree
QuoteThen they decided it didn't sound enough like freedom, so they came up with the most certainly democratic-sounding "Dominator".  :rolleyes:
Yeah, the only thing "democratic" about the B-32 is that the targets were mostly the population itself ;D
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

kitnut617

I've got an Xotic 1/72 kit in the stash --- should get and build it sometime as I like the looks of the aircraft too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: Snowtrooper on June 09, 2017, 01:42:32 PM

Never knew that, cheers  :thumbsup:

I've always had a soft spot for the aircraft as well and I do like the suggestion of using it in the Maritime role.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

It has one heck of a tall vertical tail.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Did Anigrand do a resin kit ? Memory says yes, but I need to check
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I think I saw one when I was googling B-32.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2017, 03:56:25 AM
Did Anigrand do a resin kit ? Memory says yes, but I need to check

Yup!

http://www.anigrand.com/AA2083_B-32.htm

The Xotic one is multi-media, all the big bits are injection with some white metal detail parts and a few vacuformed bits.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2017, 03:45:39 AM

Compared to a B-29 it seems quite a bit shorter but has lots of side area forward, and those engine nacelles look massive too. Mind you, Convair always seemed to like big fins, the Privateer being a case in point.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Default Setting

Quote from: Snowtrooper on June 09, 2017, 01:42:32 PM
That would have been an awesome name indeed. Changing it was a stupid idea.

Apparently the original twin tail, inherited from the B-24, resulted in stability issues. But I've always wondered why the B-29 and B-32 needed such a huge vertical tail.
The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Default Setting on June 10, 2017, 12:54:45 PM

Apparently the original twin tail, inherited from the B-24, resulted in stability issues. But I've always wondered why the B-29 and B-32 needed such a huge vertical tail.

And it got even larger on the B-50. The main difference between the B-50 and the B-29 were the engines, much more side area on the B-50's engines. The B-32's engines seem to be deeper than the B-29's too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

I was damn lucky to have a chat with a couple of B-29 pilots. One of the things they mentioned was that tail. The plane was stable under normal conditions but if you lost an engine, specifically an outer one, you needed every square foot of that tail to keep flying. They had terrible problems with the teething problems too, engine fires were a constant problem. Engines could also go Basrah and even rip a wing off.